News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 318     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 874     0 

VIA Rail

With all the rumours of #651 returning in some form or another soon, I was casually browsing schedules tonight and noticed that a #641 has been added to Ottawa - Kingston - Toronto schedule effective May 27.

This trip is slated to depart Ottawa at 04:19 Monday-Thursday only and arrive in Toronto at 08:48, stopping at Fallowfield, Smiths Falls, Brockville, Kingston, Belleville, Cobourg, and Port Hope.

Strangely, I’ve been unable to find any official announcement regarding this as I thought it would be a big deal.

Ah, the famous ‚wiggle waggon‘ (a HEP-I car at the end of a mixed Corridor consist) user „tysmo“ (I’m pretty sure he’s also here on UT, but couldn’t remember his user name) keeps mentioning on the „Rail Fan Canada“ Discord server:
But they have a tendency to put a HEP coach at the end of an LRC consists. Is that by accident?

But they have a tendency to put a HEP coach at the end of an LRC consists. Is that by accident?
HEP-I coaches don‘t have a galley (except for 8145-47, which are running exclusively on the JONQ/SENN service), which is why they can‘t run as car 3 (i.e., the first ECO coach) or in pairs, which means you have to mix them with LRC or HEP-II cars…

How would a novice know which type of car they are in?
There are a couple of ways.

- on the older varieties, the car numbers are located on the end doors of the car (not the illuminated sign on the ceiling at the ends of the cars - that is your train number and car sequence). 33xx are LRC coaches,, 41xx are HEP2 coaches, 81xx are HEP1 coaches. The Siemens trains don't have the same traditional end doors that the other cars do, and I haven't seen a car number located inside. They do have them located outside by the side doors, however.
- interior configuration and colour. HEP1 cars have fewer seats spaced further apart, with large bluish-green seats. LRC and HEP2 coaches have mostly black leatherette seats, with some cars still having either the older grey-ish with a multi-coloured dot moquette (LRC) or red cloth (HEP2) seats. Siemens cars have grey seats and interiors.
- LRC car sides have a noticeable taper inwards from just below the windows. Both types of HEP car and the Siemens cars have straight sides, and feel slightly roomier inside because of that.
- windows. The LRCs have absolutely massive windows that align pretty nicely with the pairs of seats. HEP1 cars have shorter window top-to-bottom that also align pretty well with their more widely-spaced seats. The HEP2 coaches - befitting their heritage as second-hand cars from a variety of different sources - have a veritable dogs-breakfast of window configurations. Some have very small windows - 1 window for almost each row - while others use a larger window for a pair of rows. The Siemens cars have quite large windows as well, but they don't align nearly as well with the seats as the other types do.

Dan

HEP-I coaches don‘t have a galley (except for 8145-47, which are running exclusively on the JONQ/SENN service), which is why they can‘t run as car 3 (i.e., the first ECO coach) or in pairs, which means you have to mix them with LRC or HEP-II cars…
Are they "on loan" to the corridor due to the shortage of equipment?

Now that the Rens are finished are the LRC'S left?

Any progress on the rebuilt F40ph? (re-rebuilt). Is that project funded?

April 25
Via 2203 set heading westbound at Dufferin. I don't if it was on a Windsor run or heading to TMC
133A0608.JPG

Back