2.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Vaughan appoints new Deputy City Manager, Planning and Growth Management

City of Vaughan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Jason Schmidt-Shoukri assumes role on Dec. 4

After a thorough recruitment process, the City of Vaughan is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Jason Schmidt-Shoukri as Deputy City Manager, Planning and Growth Management, effective Dec. 4, 2017.

Mr. Schmidt-Shoukri has more than 27 years of experience in the public and private sectors, and brings a wealth of knowledge to the role in the areas of strategic leadership, collaboration, communications and stakeholder relations. He has been with the City of Vaughan for almost three years as Director of Building Standards and Chief Building Official. Prior to joining the City of Vaughan, Mr. Schmidt-Shoukri was the Chief Building Official at the City of Burlington.

Some of Mr. Schmidt-Shoukri’s accomplishments include re-aligning business processes to achieve functional, efficient and customer-focused service delivery, implementing a fast-track system for complete applications and establishing a pre-permit consultation process within the development applications approval process. Most recently, Mr. Schmidt-Shoukri was recognized with the 2017 Building Partnership Award, which was presented by the Ontario Building Officials Association, the Ontario Home Builders’ Association and the Tarion Warranty Corporation. This annual award recognizes a valuable industry official, individual or municipality that has gone above and beyond, and shown a commitment to improving the new home building framework in Ontario.

Mr. Schmidt-Shoukri is replacing Mr. John Mackenzie, who resigned to be the Chief Executive Officer of the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority.

“It is with great pleasure that we congratulate Mr. Jason Schmidt-Shoukri as he takes on the role of Deputy City Manager, Planning and Growth Management. He has been a valuable member of our team, contributing to the vision of our future. The greatest resource of any municipal government is its employees. Jason exemplifies a commitment to public service, collaboration and leadership, and is a great asset to our city. He has a passion for the community and is a champion for city-building in a smart, sustainable and responsible way. On behalf of Council, I extend my warmest congratulations to Jason on his well-deserved appointment. I am confident he will continue to live the Vaughan values of respect, accountability and dedication, and I look forward to working together as we deliver on our commitment to Service Excellence.
-Mayor Maurizio Bevilacqua

QUICK FACTS
  • Jason is a registered planner, licensed architect and Certified Building Code Official.
  • Jason holds a Master of Public Administration (MPA) from Western University and a Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineering (BSc) from Ain Shams University.

LEARN MORE

Back