News   Apr 26, 2024
 687     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 240     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 720     0 

River Park & Uptown Market (Uptown Markham Phase 1, Times Group, multiple up to 20s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

Hi there, I'm new to UT but I've been living in Markham for the past 15 years. I'm a young professional now and looking to purchase a condo in the Downtown Markham area. This project, Uptown Markham by Times Group, is really interesting to me. Good location and close to the Futureshop/NoFrills plaza just north of Hwy 7. I called their Eden Park sales office today and asked when Uptown Markham units are for sale and they said sometime in March/April 2011. I'm looking forward to be one of the first ones to choose a unit in Phase 1, preferably on of the southern building facing south towards downtown and overlooking the park and stream area adjacent to the project.

I will like to get more information about Times Group and Kirkor if anyone here have some insights. From reading several threads in this forum, I hear mixed reviews from Kirkor.

Looking forward to learn more from this forum.

dlam

It's ultimately a subjective thing, but the complaints about Kirkor are regarding their poor designs, architecturally. I can't say I disagree, as I find most of their buildings banal at best, and downright hideous at worst. Take a walk around the NY Towers complex in North York to get the feel of a Kirkor designed neighbourhood (bring a barf bag).

That said, if you like the location, and the amenities and suites appeal to you, go for it. I'm only commenting on the architecture, but perhaps some here know more about the Times Group's finished products.

That said, if you like the location, and the amenities and suites appeal to you, go for it. I'm only commenting on the architecture, but perhaps some here know more about the Times Group's finished products.

There are a number of people, including myself, who are not happy with the Times Group's finished product at 500 Sherbourne. There is question about the quality of materials used, the slow response time to fix issues, and their recent attempt to make purchasers pay for items they did not order (blinds). See the thread at http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?9554-500-Sherbourne

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't heard of Times Group prior - except for some of their projects... but certainly wasn't aware of their practices or the lack of quality finishes. So this is an eye opener for someone considering their project here.

Website has now been updated .... Phase 1 (Block 6) now has a name, this project is being marketed as:

River Park @ Uptown Markham
river-park.png

Public opening April 16, 2011 ... see http://uptownmarkham.com/

Images from the above website:
topbar_05a.jpg

topbar_05b.jpg

topbar_05.jpg

The Lobby
lobby.jpg

The Pool
pool.jpg

The Party Room
party.jpg

The Theatre
theatre.jpg

The website claims 75% of units in Buildings "B" and "C" (see Solaris' render)
They've also released Building "A" and have since opened up registration again

What a shame this is. They truly could've designed something modern and beautiful here, but instead went with the depressingly safe historicist schtick. Well, I guess it's nice to finally see some density in Markham; baby steps.

I think downtown Markham has great potential ... along with this ... but a big mistake ... one developer for the entire thing.
It's essentially the same architecture over and over and over again. I thought I'd give downtown Markham a chance but I walked around it today ... it's too much of the same ... and we're only part way in.

btw, still amazing potential from all other aspects.

I hold a little better hope for the waterfront - but fairly large parcels are being given to one developer, not as large has here so I think we'll see a lot more variety. Similar plans otherwise really.

Indeed Buildings 'B' and 'C' sold exceptionally well within 3 weeks (all through broker / agent preview though :mad:)

anyways, architecturally these buildings are not in my 'bad books' even though it is by Kirkor, the use of brick and mansonry is nice to see (rather than typical glass & spandrel) ... I am just happy that there are (finally) point towers coming to Markham, rather than the typical slab buildings (ie: Majestic Court) ~

Scaled Model

Overview - Highway 7 at bottom left, Rouge Valley at top right
IMG_5281.jpg
IMG_5282.jpg

Buildings 'A' + 'B'
IMG_5293.jpg
IMG_5286.jpg

Street Level Retail
IMG_5292.jpg

Click to Enlarge

Lobby Entrance
IMG_5288.jpg

Courtyard parking area to be covered by Green Roof
IMG_5294.jpg

Building 'C' - Avenue style building along Highway 7
IMG_5283.jpg
IMG_5284.jpg

Model Suite

Suite Entrance
IMG_5295.jpg

Pretty Nice Standard Finishes
IMG_5296.jpg

Click to Enlarge

IMG_5301.jpg
IMG_5302.jpg

What's the retail plaza i.e. the second cup in that picture and the like ?

Does that already exist or are they building that.

It's called "Uptown Square". It will be beside the existing Sheridan Nurseries, but otherwise the whole "Uptown Markham" is an empty field.

hmm, this is a decent development but I'm not impressed with uptown square at all ... seems to be moving away from the 'urban' feel they were attempting to emulate i.e. have a look at Downtown Markham, most of the retail is integrated into the building themselves (yes there will be some retail in these buildings).

Also, generally speaking, having retail fronting Hi-way 7 hasn't worked out great in the past. Maybe they can do a better job. They tried that further west but to me it ends up being even worse then having parking up front. As there are bunch of 'fake doors' on the side fronting hi-way 7. It really doesn't create an interesting street wall at all. Who knows maybe they'll do a better job here.

But it looks like a standard retail plaza ... but green :) So that's good.

Also, I think were going to get a little sick of these mainly brick buildings that seem to be all that's built throughout downtown Markham (and uptown markham). This is why I hate having one developer - though that may not be at fault here. Some vareity would be great.

But I will say something, the building in downtown markham are higher quality then the average in the (I'm talking about the exterior finishings) so at least they'll be nice brick buildings : )

Last edited:
Solaris, did you see a Whole Foods logo anywhere on Uptown Square? I'm wondering if that's still a go.

as marcus_a_j notes, these lands are all just empty fields at this time ... as part of the phase 1 development, River Park condos (block 6) and Uptown Square plaza (block 7+8) will be constructed.

Town of Markham Planning staff envisions this plaza to be a 'temporary' use (~20 years?) while the rest of the site builds out, blocks 7+8 should be the last to re-develop into a mixed use site ... well at least that's the plan

Uptown-Blk6_key.jpg

According to Time Group, the tenants they have secured to date includes:

Back