News   Apr 19, 2024
 425     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 752     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 761     1 

River Park & Uptown Market (Uptown Markham Phase 1, Times Group, multiple up to 20s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

I have a bad feeling there where be way too much monotonic buildings in Uptown Markham ... Downtown Makham seems like it'll do a better job with some variance ...

The quality here is good, but its nothing that stands out (which is fine) ... it reminds of Gramecy Park in Toronto beside Wilson station (which is a good thing) but taller !

The retail plaza is a typical *new style* suburban development, which is decent also (i.e. high quality finishings, and only a little parking around the stores.

There is nothing that suggests Kirkor won't copy/paste the same designs for all the towers (so far all of them look pretty much identical) as that is their specialty after all. The upside is the quality, but fingers crossed we get something more contemporary and glassy in the near future.

Right there is a chance they'll switch; Honestly even the 4 going up now (or going up) are too much of the same too me.

I don't have the a pic but the twin building just south of 7 and to the west of Warden now has a bunch of cranes.

12 April 2014: (Warning: photodump)

Uptown Markham by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

wait, why does this appear to have townhomes fronting highway 7 but retail on the side streets? or am I looking at this wrong?

I consider this development ... drum roll ... a failure ... I drive by it ... been in it quite often ...

I think downtown Markham will have a lot more potential, but uptown ... nope ...

I should clarify, from a 'new age modern suburban strip mall' point of view it looks decent, nice fixtures, good quality ... but that's about it. Yes there is retail at grade for some condos, but the streets are very wide and car laden, even now, before it's fully built out ..

It looks like DTM is being heavily promoted to appeal to Chinese buyers.

In the past that was definitely true, and UTM is a different developer and it seems that's still their primary focus.

But I've noticed that in 2014 the number of non-Chinese in DTM has spiked dramatically. Pretty much all ethnicities are represented, though Caucasians make up the bulk of it. The neighbourhood is still primarily Chinese, but it's good to see some diversity.

Back