News   Apr 17, 2024
 713     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 309     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Unique Houses in Toronto

Those would be valuable details to include when posting photos in this thread. At least an address or even neighbourhood name would be better than nothing.

I agree. Many forum folks seem to get around the GTA quite a bit, but since I rarely go north of Bloor most of these sites are a mystery to me.

Bhavin, I saw this house in the Bridle Path and took (not so great) photos of it to add to TOBuilt, but I have no further details about it. For houses, the information can be very hard to research, unless it was featured in an architectural magazine or something.

A few 1970's wonders ....

As I cycle and take photos, I've become enamoured of the surviving examples of what I usually presume to be early 1970's styles, and here are a few of these from around town.

I say, if a building has a round porthole on an exterior wall, it automatically should be designated with a specific mention of the porthole.

65 Swiftdale Place
6SwiftdalePl.jpg

90 Old Colony Road
90OldColonyRd1-1.jpg

These two, a few doors down from each other in Etobicoke, must have the same architect, but I know little about them. I don't think think they are beautiful, but they are interesting.

153 Lake Promenade
153LakePromenade3.jpg

25 Lake Promenade
25LakePromenade1-1.jpg

This is more pleasing to me.

12 Barnwood Court
12BarnwoodCt.jpg

I'm also interested when I find seventies remnants in rich neighbourhoods.

Bridle Path - 19 Country Lane
19CountryLane.jpg

Rosedale - 7 Pine Hill
7PineHillRd1.jpg

I was biking up in York Mills and saw this unusual house at Leslie and Bond. There is a second home of similar design next door. Anyone know anything about them?

800px-Leslie_and_Bond_house.JPG

I believe they were built by Nick Bernhard, a real estate agent.

A few nights ago I spotted this eco/green home on High Park Blvd west of Roncevalles:

dsc01113q.jpg

dsc01114c.jpg

Looks like poo and is out of place on such a nice street imho.

Last Wednesday evening I took this blurry photo of one of my favourite Modern-style Toronto homes. It's one house east of the pathway bridge (Glen Cedar Rd) over the Cedarvale ravine, on Heathdale Road.

dsc00165q.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to look around the Heathdale house - his Pachter residence is the only one I've managed to invite myself into so far, and it's a joy.

Houses similar to 65 Swiftdale are getting demolished in the Yonge Blvd area... not a long-lived 'look' I suppose. just my opinion..

Mustapha, I'm not surprised by your observation. A house that colour of brown with a porthole window like that must be at the nadir of it's existence right now. If people are smart enough to hold onto them for a few years longer I would guess they would be in demand as the style becomes retro and desirable. But in the meantime many (perhaps all? There aren't a lot of them) will be lost.

Re that High Park Blvd "eco/green" thing: agree that the aesthetics of the rehab are unfortunate. (The rather unique arched door is original.)

A little further north, one tip re "unique" 70s-style houses around town: on the N side of Abbott, just W of Indian Rd. You'll never forget it...

That's another interesting modern house in an old neighbourhood. Just by looking at the front facade some minor details look cheap like the uninspired greenery and the lighting fixtures. Plus, there are some fairly large expanses of blank wall, though they seem to wrap the focal window nicely. Prominent front access to the basement apartment is a plus as well.

What intersection is this close to?

Interior Designer Cecconi Simone's home

Attachments

• MH060848XE7S.jpg
    MH060848XE7S.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 792

Back