News   Mar 28, 2024
 533     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 410     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 751     0 

Unique Houses in Toronto

There doesn't seem to be a lot of places in the city where there are shiny office buildings and old (yellow?) brick buildings with narrow alleys like this?

That still is taken in Ching Lane, on the east side of the Lumsden Building (NE corner of Yonge & Adelaide). You are looking south across Adelaide at the Starbucks in the Dundee Place office building (SE corner of Yonge & Adelaide).

dscn0982.jpg

Attachments

• dscn0982.jpg
    dscn0982.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 2,454
Last edited:
That still is taken in Ching Lane, on the east side of the Lumsden Building (NE corner of Yonge & Adelaide). You are looking south across Adelaide at the Starbucks in the Dundee Place office building (SE corner of Yonge & Adelaide).

View attachment 23871

WOW! The members of this board never cease to amaze me. Both with your knowledge of the city and it's buildings, but also with the kindness to help with my "mystery" locations. Many thanks again, that indeed appears to be the location in question.

:D

Hi,

Another location(s) is anyone is up for it. First one is "acting" as a court house. The words "Court House" may have been added in post production. It may or may not actually be a courthouse. I can't place this building in Toronto. At first I thought (from memory) that it was the Automotive building at the CNE or part of Union Station, but of course it's not either.

courthouse3.jpg
courthouse2.jpg

Attachments

• courthouse3.jpg
    courthouse3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,213
  • courthouse2.jpg
    courthouse2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,291
Last edited:
Another mystery house for anyone interested in more sleuthing. Anyone recognize the house or probable area? It was used as a filming location for "Hannibal" and was vacant at the time. That's Hannibal's Bentley in the driveway, not a real resident's car.

My daughter is a huge fan of the TV show "Hannibal". She is Austistic and one of the fun things we do, that doesn't take a lot of energy for her is to go out for drives (it's mostly filmed in TO) and find all the filming locations we can from her favorite show. If it's a public building, we sometimes take a photo, but we never bother people in private residences or take photos of the houses. Some of the locations we find ourselves, but the most difficult ones I have been posting here. The photos below are screen shots from the TV show, the front and back of the house.

Thanks to everyone who has helped. When I have enough posts, I will make a new thread for this topic. :D

house.jpg
house_back.jpg

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,834
  • house_back.jpg
    house_back.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,769
Last edited:
"Modernist beauty in the Thorncrest area, designed by Altius Architecture principal Graham Smith." Featured by National Post (Aug/9/2014).

ModernistbeautyintheThorncrestareadesignedbyAltiusArchitectureprincipalGrahamSmith-featuredinNatPost_zps57b956c5.jpg

Hi,

Another location(s) is anyone is up for it. First one is "acting" as a court house. The words "Court House" may have been added in post production. It may or may not actually be a courthouse. I can't place this building in Toronto. At first I thought (from memory) that it was the Automotive building at the CNE or part of Union Station, but of course it's not either.

View attachment 23876View attachment 23877

Fairly certain this is a residence in the bridal path.

Attachments

• 846605904tpm_4447.jpg
    846605904tpm_4447.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 1,816
  • 726152751tpm_4449.jpg
    726152751tpm_4449.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 1,584
  • 170353027tpm_4444.jpg
    170353027tpm_4444.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 1,542
  • 154522551img_7776.jpg
    154522551img_7776.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 1,421
  • 975845261img_8139.jpg
    975845261img_8139.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 869
  • 561560535img_8141.jpg
    561560535img_8141.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 1,461
  • 412870450img_8135.jpg
    412870450img_8135.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 1,447
Last edited:
tower home, 2011
8 Trefann Street

Tower_2.jpg

Tower_1.jpg
Photographs by Andrew Snow

Architect Drew Hauser designed a crisp minimalist facade in Roman brick with warm ipe wood accents. The massive glazed corner atrium reveals the staircase and floods the interiors with natural light. The tower-like proportions recall the belltower of nearby St. Paul's Basilica.

This house and studio rises from a tiny 25x25 foot lot in Corktown. The land cost just $50,000. With a total of 2000 square feet, there's 1 bedroom, 2 studios and 3 bathrooms. The house even has a garage. The interiors are outstanding contemporary spaces. The marble in the kitchen and master bathroom was reclaimed from the facade of First Canadian Place. The house has polished concrete floors throughout. A striking charcoal brick fireplace is a focal point in the white living room.

A south-facing rooftop terrace has views of the striking basilica. There's even a hot tub up there. Trefann Street itself feels like another city--narrower than the usual old Toronto streets with a mix of renovated Victorian housing and 1970s traditional infill. This neighbourhood was almost completely demolished for public housing projects. John Sewell and his neighbours stood up to save the area by Jane Jacobs' prescription of renovation and infill--it was one of the 1970s reform movement's notable victories.

Though 5 storeys may not be universally feasible, this house can be used as a model for ultra-compact urban infill--including laneway housing. It's one of the more interesting examples of compact urban infill I've seen. The subtle contextualism with the basilica belltower is wonderful.

Attachments

• Tower_1.jpg
    Tower_1.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 1,613
  • Tower_2.jpg
    Tower_2.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 1,708
My first reaction is: I like it!
However I also wondered why so much space would have to be devoted to a stairway, particularly since living space is already minimum.
Maybe there's no other way to provide upper-level access.

I really like this house! But as a single home it does not make very much sense to me. Imagine it as three "Euro" style flats and one top floor studio.
Separate the stairwell with frosted or block glass. There may even be room to squeeze in a paternoster, although I wouldn't be sure they are legal here.

I like it too. And I like the staircase - it acts like an atrium. What I don't like is the three mini balconies - but according to the article they are required as fire escapes.

Back