News   Mar 18, 2024
 690     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 760     0 

Uniqlo

Woohoo! Finally a retailer I will actually shop at entering the Canadian market! All the Saks and Nordstrom news was putting me to sleep :p

Totally. Lol. :D Although, getting a Saks would be awesome just so to stick it to Holts and force them to shape up — or ship out!

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2014/6/uniqlo

Japanese fast-fashion retailer Uniqlo is working with a broker to open Canadian stores. Uniqlo's choice of American locations can be considered an indication of what it wants in Canada: prime retail space on busy streets and in prominent malls. Expect large Canadian Uniqlo flagships, as well as some smaller mall-based stores. However, its cautious American expansion foreshadows what's in store for Canada, at least in the short term, as only a handful of American cities see multiple Uniqlo locations. This will change, eventually, as Uniqlo's goal is to become the world's top-selling fashion retailer. We'll explain why Uniqlo stores will open in many Canadian markets over the next several years, and we'll then discuss some of its most likely Canadian locations.

Sources inform us that Uniqlo is talking to Canada's largest mall landlords as its searches for Canadian retail space. In March, the Financial Post reported that Uniqlo was in talks to open a 35,000 square foot space at Toronto's Yorkdale Shopping Centre. Toronto and Vancouver are ideal cities for the Japanese retailer: both see exceptionally high retail sales, large Asian populations, and considerable Uniqlo brand awareness. Other desirable markets include Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary, and possibly Ottawa and Winnipeg, as the company continues expanding.

Toronto - Toronto is an obvious choice for Uniqlo: Canada's largest city also boasts the nation's most comprehensive retail. Uniqlo will likely open a large, splathy flagship in the core, either in or close to the Toronto Eaton Centre. Queen Street West is possible, as is the Bloor-Yorkville area. Sources tell us that the Yorkdale Uniqlo deal is done, with a 30-35,000 square foot location expected to open in 2016. Uniqlo will likely open in the new retail wing anchored by Nordstrom, in the northeastern portion of the new retail space. Busy malls such as Sherway Gardens and Mississauga's Square One are also likely candidates for Uniqlo.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2014/6/uniqlo

Japanese fast-fashion retailer Uniqlo is working with a broker to open Canadian stores. Uniqlo's choice of American locations can be considered an indication of what it wants in Canada: prime retail space on busy streets and in prominent malls. Expect large Canadian Uniqlo flagships, as well as some smaller mall-based stores. However, its cautious American expansion foreshadows what's in store for Canada, at least in the short term, as only a handful of American cities see multiple Uniqlo locations. This will change, eventually, as Uniqlo's goal is to become the world's top-selling fashion retailer. We'll explain why Uniqlo stores will open in many Canadian markets over the next several years, and we'll then discuss some of its most likely Canadian locations.

Sources inform us that Uniqlo is talking to Canada's largest mall landlords as its searches for Canadian retail space. In March, the Financial Post reported that Uniqlo was in talks to open a 35,000 square foot space at Toronto's Yorkdale Shopping Centre. Toronto and Vancouver are ideal cities for the Japanese retailer: both see exceptionally high retail sales, large Asian populations, and considerable Uniqlo brand awareness. Other desirable markets include Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary, and possibly Ottawa and Winnipeg, as the company continues expanding.

Toronto - Toronto is an obvious choice for Uniqlo: Canada's largest city also boasts the nation's most comprehensive retail. Uniqlo will likely open a large, splathy flagship in the core, either in or close to the Toronto Eaton Centre. Queen Street West is possible, as is the Bloor-Yorkville area. Sources tell us that the Yorkdale Uniqlo deal is done, with a 30-35,000 square foot location expected to open in 2016. Uniqlo will likely open in the new retail wing anchored by Nordstrom, in the northeastern portion of the new retail space. Busy malls such as Sherway Gardens and Mississauga's Square One are also likely candidates for Uniqlo.

While I don't disagree with the analysis of locating the stores in top performing malls, I am skeptical of not locating the stores in a more Asian area of the city, especially with the direction Markville has taken.

While I don't disagree with the analysis of locating the stores in top performing malls, I am skeptical of not locating the stores in a more Asian area of the city, especially with the direction Markville has taken.

Except that Uniqlo does not appear to following that strategy in the U.S., and is clearly not marketing itself as an "Asian" chain. I don't doubt, however, that as they expand across Canada that they would want a store somewhere in, or near, Markham.

Uniqlo's main target objective should be establishing a presence in the urban core. Many young Asian shoppers prefer places like Eaton Centre and Yorkdale anyways, with an increasing trend of moving downtown for work and school.

If my experiences at the locations in Manhattan are anything to go by they are not going to market themselves as an Asian store or focus primarily on Asian consumers.

Uniqlo will be entering the Canadian market in drastically different fashion than Target did. First and foremost, they will now hold tenancy in 2 of the most desirable (and last I heard, highly profitable) shopping centers in Toronto. Already with steady international exposure (but likely unknown to Canadians who don't travel abroad), I think Uniqlo will see brisk business right off the bat.

The demographics will be mixed and it is definitely not limited to or aimed at the Asian clientele. Price will be a driving factor, so if they can compete dollar to dollar with H&M, they will slowly establish themselves nicely here. I don't expect them to blow any other clothing retailer out of the water by any means but I can see them as a quiet steady retailer in the Canadian landscape.

I just welcome another store that has clothes that might actually fit me, as opposed to the majority that cater to Big Huge People.

I just welcome another store that has clothes that might actually fit me, as opposed to the majority that cater to Big Huge People.

I'm another Mississauga slim! The price doesn't matter to me as much as the sizing... as I have a terrible time finding anything in my size everywhere else. I'd pay a premium in order to stop having to visit several stores before finding my size.

Last edited:

Back