News   Apr 18, 2024
 679     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Union Station: Northwest PATH Expansion

people in general don't have a sense of direction....

Like I always now, which way is north anywhere I go...

Take a poor sense of direction and then subtract knowledge of the names and locations of every office complex...you now have the average person.

I adore PATH. It represents the tantalising possibility of total anarchy, in a constantly thwarted form, and I never miss an opportunity to misdirect a lost tourist when approached by one. I'd take out the signage system first chance I got if I were king.

Urban Shocker, I can't believe you would take out the signage. It's quite beautiful, and almost completely useless. I especially love the signs that merely show the points of the compass - they seem so entirely useless to me that I think of them as, well, a form of art.

They won awards, you know.

I normally avoid the PATH, because it's so dull, and out-of-way - but I was in City Hall recently, and had never tried it (having never figured out where in the Eaton Centre the tunnel came out). Good god, have you seen this?? You walk for miles through - get this, - an underground car park, between cars, trying to follow signs. And when you finally get somewhere, you find yourself in the Sheraton Centre.

I just can't imagine who though up this thing - it has very little similiarity to the system in Montreal. There you get wide walkways, good stores, and some quite interesting open space - and you can spend the day in downtown in the winter without a coat. In Toronto - you have to dodge moving cars, and risk freezing to death.

Hopefully people try and not mention this system to the tourists.

I just can't imagine who though up this thing - it has very little similiarity to the system in Montreal. There you get wide walkways, good stores, and some quite interesting open space - and you can spend the day in downtown in the winter without a coat. In Toronto - you have to dodge moving cars, and risk freezing to death.
Well in defense of the PATH, you are describing 2% of the network. Moreover, Montreal's system happens to go through what is both the financial and the commercial district. In Toronto, it primarily just goes through the financial.

I normally avoid the PATH, because it's so dull, and out-of-way - but I was in City Hall recently, and had never tried it (having never figured out where in the Eaton Centre the tunnel came out). Good god, have you seen this?? You walk for miles through - get this, - an underground car park, between cars, trying to follow signs. And when you finally get somewhere, you find yourself in the Sheraton Centre.

Hopefully people try and not mention this system to the tourists.

Did you even read the thread before posting? The Sheraton parking garage route was singled out in the article. You weren't even really in the PATH. You were in the parking garage which has an entrance to the PATH.

Oh, and I will be sure to go out of my way to mention the PATH to as many tourists and people in other cities when I am out of town as possible just out of spite :p

nfitz point is taken fairly in that there are signs in City Hall that advertise a path entrance, but you end up in a parking garage. But his extrapolation to all of the path is silly. Perhaps a fair comparison with the City Hall path in Montreal is that they consider four separate networks to be one thing, but in fact you must go up and out to get between them (or take the Metro).

Other than the disjointed nature of Montreal's system, PATH and RESO are identical. RESO just happens to be connections under more entertainment/shopping areas, and Toronto's is under the financial district (until they connect it to the mini path at Bloor).

My least favourite part of the PATH is probably under the Thompson building between the Sheraton Hotel and The Bay.

Some of the fire exits are quite zany - the one near the TD's King-Bay Chaplaincy disgorges you into a sloping entrance to the underground parking garage.

Another reason to love the PATH:

Our building's email this morning:

Property Management has closed off the courtyard due to the danger of falling ice from the towers.

We strongly encourage tenants and visitors to continue to exercise extreme caution and to enter and exit Commerce Court via the underground PATH system.

I like the free handouts.

If L'Oreal or Proctor & Gamble have a new product, you can be sure that pretty girls in matching outfits will be handing them out to people between buildings. One time Maple Leaf was handing out big packaged frozen hams.

Life in the PATH during business hours is how life on the streets should be, only better -- it's free of vehicle traffic, free of pollution, there's climate control, it's clean, plenty of door-holding jobs for the homeless...

plenty of door-holding jobs for the homeless...

well it is a good thing, but they are usually quickly kicked out....

Back