Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

After replacing the Scarborough RT with a subway, I'm a huge advocate for an Eglinton West subway. It is the most obvious area where Toronto should encourage intensification over the next 50 years. If you live in any of the areas of York, you face a long bus ride just to get to the B-D or Y-U-S subway line.

Build for future growth. Subways should be designed with that in mind.

Also, GO probably wouldn't want to run trains off the Milton line and into the airport, as it would slow down the commute for all the people coming into and returning to the burbs, which is their bread and butter, after.
It would be the Georgetown line, not the Milton line (although you may be getting Milton confused with Malton). A station at Woodbine would only add a few minutes to the commute. A station in the airport (which would require new trackage) would likely add 5-6 minutes, but still nothing too major. I'd also think that GO would run some dedicated Union-Pearson trains as well if (and when) this ever comes into full service.

Good ridance to a stupid idea.

Granted, I still dont have much faith in the ideas being proposed. This corridor is probably one of the most important and vital rail corridors in the GTA for future passenger rail growth. Anything to reduce its capacity and availabilty to any number of rail users (GO, VIA, maybe even TTC) would be very shortsighted. I really hope the 'do nothing' approach is taken at the momment.

Options iv 2 and 3 - express rail service with additional community stations and GO train service with a shuttle to the airport would likely achieve what you're advocating - more capacity for GO, VIA at least would do the trick. Option iv-2, an express rail with more stops would start to make it into a useful rail service for those people in places like Rexdale and Weston, etc. Option iv-3, the GO service with shuttle would improve GO service to places like Weston, Malton and Brampton as well, and this would do what you are seeking. The "do nothing" alternative would do nothing for anyone.

Subway, too expensive, won't benefit enough passengers considering the cost.
a rail line wouldn't have to be a subway, it could be light rail, DMU, or something similar to the S-bahn. a rapid transit line along this corridor would be far more useful than an eglinton line, IMO. and cheaper.

sp: Those options probably would work ok. Perhaps 'do nothing' was a little strong. Im sure some additional services could be added with or no work being required (other than investment in new rolling stock). That being said, I would still be wary of 100's of millions of dollars being spent on track and corridor work at the momment with any of the current plans. If the various levels of government are going to start putting near billion dollar price tags on this line I would really hope it would be done with a larger, more long term vision for the city and the region. Rail transit in Ontario has been done in such an ad hoc way for so long that I would hate to the Weston Corridor fall to the same kind of short sightedness. As it stands right now, its just waiting for the proper treatment. Its underutilized, a blank slate just sitting quietly waiting for something great to happen to it. If there is going to a major investment in the corridor, please, do it right. Otherwise, just bugger off.

Other than the rail link, though, I believe there is legitimate reasons to upgrade the Georgetown corridor for enhanced GO service. I know that the work has already started to do grade seperation with the CN and CP tracks cross each other at the West Toronto junction.

I know that the work has already started to do grade seperation with the CN and CP tracks cross each other at the West Toronto junction.

I also thought work started, but I was through there last Monday (trying to make my way home with the Y-U-S line still shut by going to Weston and busing it from there by a roundabout, but relatively fast route), and didn't see anything going on. I know GO has been publicizing the work going on where the Bradford and Stouffville lines cross the CN freight line in York Region.

I'd be quite happy with the GO going to Woodbine, and the people mover going from Pearson there. If it's good enough for JFK, why not the world's most expensive to land airport?

Is there really enough demand for an Eglinton West subway? Even with future growth in mind?

"I'd be quite happy with the GO going to Woodbine, and the people mover going from Pearson there. If it's good enough for JFK, why not the world's most expensive to land airport?"

Exactly, just double up the tracks along the Weston corridor and put a stop at the 427/Carlingview.

"Is there really enough demand for an Eglinton West subway?"

No.

"Even with future growth in mind?"

Maybe, but only if it continues east of Eglinton West station. There would, however, be enough for a Weston corridor subway, probably today, even. Unfortunately, this seems like a never-gonna-happen project.

I also thought work started, but I was through there last Monday (trying to make my way home with the Y-U-S line still shut by going to Weston and busing it from there by a roundabout, but relatively fast route), and didn't see anything going on.

Oops, you're right. I read this press release:

www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/ar...c7765.html

and skimmed what it said:

Environmental approval has been received on the Georgetown/Weston corridor West Toronto Diamond rail-to-rail grade separation. This is a rail underpass that will allow GO trains to avoid delays and conflicts with freight trains. Detailed design work is underway.

So design work is underway, not actual work on the site.

Considering they had the shovels in the ground in 1995 for the Eglinton West subway, I would say the demand is there. Still, I am vehemently opposed to building only to meet existing demand. When Kipling Station was expanded it was in the middle of low-density wasteland.. In fact, it still is.

Problem for any subway or LRT to service the airport under the current contract for Blue22 is 2053 close door.

Unless this contract is cancel or bought out. steel wheels will not be allow on the GTTA.

Buying the contract out comes with a stiff $$$, and should be looked at.

LRT's or EMU's is the way to go to service the airport by *ALL* directions using local transit fare.

"Still, I am vehemently opposed to building only to meet existing demand."

So, there's room for growth along the Eglinton corridor but not along the Weston corridor? It's the same corridor!

Problem for any subway or LRT to service the airport under the current contract for Blue22 is 2053 close door.

I think, though, the contract says that no one can roll onto the GTAA lands. There is nothing to stop the TTC, Mississauga transit or GO from running service right up to the airport and then shuttling people to the airport. Which is what the other options in the EA are looking at.

You make a good point, though, if anything is going to run into the airport proper, it's SNC Lavalin or nothing, unless we want to pay a heavy penalty.

Back