Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I am confused.....are people so rich they would always rather use a $60 cab even if the fare was reduced to standard GO type fare........or are they so poor that tacking $19 onto their flight cost will break them?

;) :)
The Ministry of MTO in 2007 said this was a bad idea and how right she was on the UPX back then.

This is a money looser and having the Ministry saying ("we just need to give it time for people to change their travel habits") shows how out of touch he is on transit.

Even if you reduce the current fare to fare by distance, you will still find people using the cabs to get to/from the airport to/from downtown since they are door to door service in the first place while UPX is not.

And the just need to give it time for more people to get richer to be able to afford the train.

I am confused.....are people so rich they would always rather use a $60 cab even if the fare was reduced to standard GO type fare........or are they so poor that tacking $19 onto their flight cost will break them?
If it's more than 2 people, the cab is automatically cheaper.

There's also Uber who will get you to the airport for only $10 more than the UP Express and it's way more convenient.

People who want to save money can take the TTC, which doesn't take too much longer than the UP Express from most parts of downtown. Another cheap option from Union during rush hour is the GO Train to Kipling and then the 192 for under $10.

I've never really seen where the UP Express fits in here, when all of the above options are better for most people.

Really? I didn't think you could get a cab from Union to Pearson for under $38........even 2 people volunteering to waive the Presto discount might have trouble beating $55
I said more than 2 people (i.e. 3 people), not 2 or more people.

Daaa!!! How do you get to where you want to go after you get to Union???

Are you taking VIA or a GO Train after you get to Union??

Are you walking to your hotel/office or taking transit or cab to it??

Must you get to Union to get to where your final destination is that may require other transportation to it that will add cost to your UPX cost where cab or Uber cost could be cheaper???

As someone who lives pretty much on top of College Station, I can say that I don't save that much time taking UPX. I don't have a Metropass so I have to pay my token either way and once i'm on the subway I might as well just continue to the 192 Rocket. I have to transfer at Bloor or Union...and at Bloor I can just walk downstairs to the train instead of all over Union to get to the UPX platform. I've timed both and the time savings was fairly negligible and not worth the $38 extra dollars round trip EACH for my me and my partner.

I really do think the fare is too high. These elite businessmen that they're aiming for don't need to save a few bucks taking a train, when they can hop in a limo at the airport and have it paid for by their company. Not to mention, what important businessman wants to walk from Union to their meeting in their suit in the sweltering heat, or freezing cold? They'll have to take a cab anyway. So they can pretend it's for the business travellers all they want, but let's face it, their meat and potatoes should be the middle to upper-middle class. I don't agree it should be a TTC fare, because then it will be overcrowded and lose any appeal, but bring it more in line with a GO fare. In fact, I'd say make the $19.00 fare the full price and a $9.00 Presto fare. I bet they'd get higher ridership that way. I know I'd take it for that. But what do I know, I'm just a transit user, not a person who gets paid to tell transit users what they do or don't do...

As someone who lives pretty much on top of College Station, I can say that I don't save that much time taking UPX. I don't have a Metropass so I have to pay my token either way and once i'm on the subway I might as well just continue to the 192 Rocket. I have to transfer at Bloor or Union...and at Bloor I can just walk downstairs to the train instead of all over Union to get to the UPX platform. I've timed both and the time savings was fairly negligible and not worth the $38 extra dollars round trip EACH for my me and my partner. .

^exactly

Daaa!!! How do you get to where you want to go after you get to Union???

Thank you! PEOPLE AREN'T GOING TO UNION!

I work at King and York for a foreign bank and the very idea of sending our people somewhere other than our front door is farcical. NO BUSINESS TRAVELERS WANT TO GO ANYWHERE OTHER THAN THEIR HOTEL OR OFFICE.

With a capacity of only 173 people - Aren't we really fantasizing about using it for commuter service?
What is that... 3 or 4 buses? A couple of streetcars? A handful of subway cars.

The cost would still need to be high enough to not swamp the system (supply/demand).

And at that price point - people would still be complaining about the cost-per-ride.

Especially if you can't:
a) increase capacity
b) increase frequency

or am i missing something?

Carrying 173 people at $3 beats carrying 20 at $19, but it's the wrong solution. It just look better optically.

Half hour GO and 20 minute UPX would be a better solution.

- Paul

I have to confess I am not exactly sure the UPX gets to Pearson.

I know where the stations are and the route but the rest is kind of murky. I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me as I have gone to Google Earth but it still shows it under construction. So.............

Does the UPX has it's own two railway track {I know it has exclusive rights on the spur} which conversely means are the 4 tracks from Union to the spur with 2 reserved for UPX?

Do they have different stations than GO or use the same ones or are they an extension? Are the platforms the same as GO and could they use GO commuter rail cars? How large are the UPX stations and can the platforms be lengthened if needed?

UP doesn't have its own tracks except for the spur and in practise the track immediately in front of its Union platform. It has its own station platforms used only by UP which are high platform and 3 cars long. It would be a some effort to extend the platforms at Bloor and Weston, significant effort at Union, and almost impossible at Pearson as long as the people mover is in use.

Back