Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Re: Mon. Jan. 16th-ALL CANDIDATES DEBATE-ARL vs. PUBLIC TRAN

i still think tonks is gonna win. outside the old town of weston, he has a stronghold. alot of people vote for him simply because he's liberal.

I agree--I think he won practically every poll last time. It's just that strictly in the epicentre of the Blue 22 controversy, it's interesting to see how things are playing out...

Subways are going fast when the first car enters the station and fast by the time the last car is exiting the station. Any rapid transit going to the airport must be rapid or it will be a painfully long ride.

"the neighbours would go nuts with the gates and bells going off every 3-4 minutes."

That's what you get for living next to a rail corridor.

On the Croydon Tramlink in south London, outside of the town centre the trams all run off-street in their own corridors, but with level crossings. Level crossings are controlled by nothing more than traffic signals, with trams always given complete priority (meaning that the trams never have to stop except for at the station stops). The Croydon trams are speedy, running at speeds up to 80km/h in service. Other than during the first few weeks of service, I haven't heard about any problems with collisions. You don't need to spend huge bucks on large vehicles and grade separations in order to get fast, effective transit.

CVOaksRoadInbound.jpg

Another, better pic (too large to post): Here

"if you look at the map, i think weston can tolerate grade crossings. it's a very short strech. when the go train pulls into weston station, it slows down anyway so it's not like you have speeding trains pasing through grade crossings which can be dangerous if a car stalls on the tracks or something."

As Chris says, all over the world we have given streetcars priority, and haven't let the possibility of infrequent accidents stop transit. In fact, transit is the safest mode of transportation and travelling on their own right-of-ways often improves this. In places where streets cross lrt is generally slower (like GO) and luckily many of these crossings are nearer to stops.
LRT also has an advantage over GO, since it can stop and speed up much quicker than a GO train, meaning any slower speeds for crossings would have less affect on this technology.

Having a stop at Weston (& other locations) would greatly improve this project, as a barrier would suddenly become an amenity. What you lose in time by adding stations, you would gain by adding passengers. Benefits to the northwestern portion of the city vs. benefits to SNC Lavelin and a few wealthy travellers. I could live with blue22 becoming blue35 if it meant the fare went from $20 to TTC prices and served 5x as many people (even airport workers). Could be done if the Federal government were interested in helping the city as much as the private corporations it habitually works with.

The biggest issue with running a Light Rail Vehicle on the Weston Line would be regulations regarding use of the track. I am not totally certain but I believe there are restrictions on operating Light Rail Vehicles when Heavy Rail Vehicles also use the same line.

i'm talking about building two seperate tracks in the existing space. there's lots of room.

would this still be a problem?

If they were running on two seperate tracks than I dont think that is a problem, so as long as they are completely independent of the others (ie, no track switching devices).

The only issue you might have with that is it might not be the most efficient use of track space. And given that the corridor is/should be a very important corridor in regional rail transit of all types, having two sets of tracks that could only be used for light rail vehicles may not be the best choice.

Something like this could be used which could be run on the same line as GO Trains and use the track space more efficiently.

P5013009.jpg

Or here is another model if you want a more modern look.

Bhf_Bad_Sooden_Allendorf_pic_10_19_.jpg

The biggest issue with running a Light Rail Vehicle on the Weston Line would be regulations regarding use of the track. I am not totally certain but I believe there are restrictions on operating Light Rail Vehicles when Heavy Rail Vehicles also use the same line. Since I imagine GO Trains are classified under the Heavy Rail category, any train set used would have to meet certain requirements. This would probably rule out small trams that you might see on some European streets (and maybe on Toronto's streets oneday) and require something closer to the Bombardier DMU's the use for the O-Train in Ottawa. I imagine the same would apply with Subway car train sets as being limited to their own track and not being able to share with VIA.

Im sure if you looked around Transport Canada's website you could find the exact regulations somewhere.

what are the models and lines of the LRT's pictured above?

The first picture is from the Netherlands and I usually see those train sets referred to as Sprinters, but I dont know the actual maker (Ill try to find that).

The second is from Germany. Again Im not sure who makes that train set, but I will see what I can find.

Ill post a few more. These pictures are from Austria and the train being used is a Bombardier Talent. The diesel version is what is being used for the O-Train line in Ottawa right now. Interior wise they are quite nice, and one of the benefits of the talent is that the doors have quite a large open space around them for people in wheelchairs or those who have bikes.

4024_003_Wien_Handelskai_29_01_2005.jpg

4024_026_4024_017_4024_016_Handelsk.jpg

2004_09_25_4024_001_TS_Graz_15_GH_k.jpg

2004_09_25_4024_001_TS_Graz_13_GH_k.jpg

i wonder if we should invite the head of the weston community coalition to get involved in this discussion?

Here is some more information.

The German trains are now manufactured by Bombardier. They are a Class 423/424-426. They were manufactured by Adtranz, which is now under the ownership of Bombarider.

Here are a few of the more prominant passenger rail manufacturers.

Bombardier

Siemens

Alstom

The big issue I have with the Weston corridor is not really that Blue 22 should be stopped, which it unquestionabley should. But that whatever gets done to the corridor should have the long term benefit of regional rail in mind. Hopefully whatever goes in will not be short sighted. Starting off with 2 all new electrified lines would be great (and electrified train sets have a noise advantage in that they tend to run quieter). But if that is the case, why not construct a proper electrified corridor for 3 or even 4 tracks to better manage future traffic (and save on the cost of electrification down the road, and when the corridor will be busier).

Im glad to see you are doing all you can to make sure that any project that goes into the corridor is a wise one. Id join in the battle if I was there, but since Im not, keep up the good work Dan!

i wonder if we should invite the head of the weston community coalition to get involved in this discussion?

The more people talking about the idea, the better. Or maybe someone could start up a website dedicated to this issue with a discussion forum just for the topic. Try to get the same support from all city residents that the St Clair ROW issue got.

thanks for the links antiloop. thanks for the kind words and much respect to everybody that takes part in these threads where we can brainstorm, share ideas and learn. :)

*edit*

i sent the leader of the weston community coalition an email. hopefully he joins the board and takes part in the discussion.

antiloop, south of church street in weston, closer to king, you can probably add another 4 or 5 tracks with comfort for a good distance south.

you can add one more track for GO and two for a LRT.

<----------------------cp
>----------------------cp
>----------------------lrt -new
<----------------------lrt -new
<----------------------cn/go -new
>----------------------cn/go

around church street and north about 700M
, track will have to be repositioned and spaced.

very cool.

i think weston should put forward a serious proposal for rapid transit in the corridor. the subway idea is nice but it will never happen. a LRT with overhead wires is a more realistic goal. they should really have a serious proposal with the most detail at their website to get the public all hyped. the WCC is doing alot and putting in alot of effort to stop blue 22 , digging up all kinds of documents, holding meetings, etc, but what would really boost public intrest even more is a well layed out plan for rapid transit.

so far we got-

LRT that runs on electric power

overhead power source

continuious weld rail for quiet operation

2 new track lines for the LRT

quiet signals for the LRT only so people don't go nuts

etc.

i found the mother of all lists related to LRT systems....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lis...it_systems

:eek

Back