Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Mon. Jan. 16th-ALL CANDIDATES DEBATE-ARL vs. PUBLIC TRANSIT

Be informed by ELECTION DAY JANUARY 23rd 2006. Get out and VOTE FOR YOUR COMMUNITY.

ALL CANDIDATES MEETING YORK SOUTH-WESTON RIDING
Monday January 16th 7:30 p.m. � 9:30 p.m. (doors open at 6:30)
Weston Collegiate Auditorium, 100 Pine St.
Guests Include:
Maria De Angelis-Pater * Green Paul Ferriera * New Democrat
Stephen Halicki * Conservative Alan Tonks * Liberal

Join us to hear from all the candidates to understand their position on important issues like the Air-Rail Link, and revitalization of Weston.
Working Together to Strengthen our Communities Co- Sponsored by the Weston Community Coalition and
Elizabeth Hill � Trustee Board of Education

Update on Air-Rail Link Issue � From the Weston Community Coalition
Background to the proposed Pearson-Union Station link:

* 1998: When the provincial government stopped the proposed Eglinton subway, the City of Toronto requested Federal assistance to build a TTC subway extension along the rail line through Weston as a �rapid transit� link to the airport. The federal government created instead a P3 (Public-Private Partnership) Air-Rail Link proposal, promising that it would not cost a nickel of taxpayer money. Federal government studies suggested that the private sector could invest $315 Million for infrastructure and still realize a profit. Four companies expressed interest. Of the four, only one firm placed a final bid (SNC Lavalin)

* 2003: The federal government reassigned the bulk of the $315 Million infrastructure cost of the ARL as GO Transit �improvements� to be paid with tax dollars. Under this new arrangement, two private companies will benefit (CN will own the tracks and lease them back to GO and SNC). SNC Lavalin will pay only for a small piece of track by the airport, 50 year-old Budd railcars, and lounges at the airport and Union Station. SNC will have at least a 56 year right to run the trains. GO has admitted that it doesn�t need to close any roads, build a new bridge over the Humber, install a third set of rails, etc., all of which are necessary to run the private ARL.

* 2005: the Citizens of Weston collectively managed to force a Full Environmental Assessment for the proposed GO Transit expansion and Pearson-Union Station link and the Weston Community Coalition (WCC) is formed. While the assessment has yet to begin, GO Transit has chosen a new consulting firm, and has promised that the Coalition will participate in all phases of this assessment.

* At the suggestion of our MP, Mr. Tonks, the WCC wrote to the provincial and federal ministers of Transport but has received no reply. Last month, Councillor Nunziata passed a motion through city Council that the city re-state its request for assistance from the Federal and Provincial Governments to build a subway to the airport.

* Our MPP, Joe Cordiano, has stated his opposition to the ARL project and suggested that Citizens, rather than the government, put a stop to the public funding of a disruptive private enterprise through participation in the Environmental Assessment.

* Mayor Miller has publicly stated his support for the Air Rail Link, but undertook to study our subway suggestion as a city-building exercise. The northwest quadrant of the city has no rapid transit systems, and has recently been plagued by gun violence. We believe true transit investment is a good part of raising standards of living and reducing poverty and can be substantially financed by government monies already allotted to the private ARL. Details of our subway proposal are on the reverse.

* The WCC as a participant in the full Environmental Assessment needs to access expert witnesses on matters such as noise, vibration, diesel pollution, etc. While the Harris government removed the rights of individuals or groups such as ours to �participant funding�, funds are available at the minister�s discretion for Federal Environmental Assessments such as this one. We have asked Mr. Tonks to request his cabinet colleague, Mr. Lapierre, that we have this funding. We have not had a response.

* The WCC has also requested under Access to Information Legislation, any and all studies and documents related to the Air Rail Link. The Federal Department of Transport has advised that it will cost us $3000 merely to look through their files (300 hours of searching, they say). There is no guarantee that we will get the release of any documents. We do not have that kind of money. Mr. Tonks office has been unsuccessful in getting any other access to these documents.

We have kept citizens informed of our activities through e-mail bulletins and on our website:
www.westoncommunitycoalition.ca . You can sign up for e-mail and write to us from that site.
Members of the Coalition will be available to update you on the subway proposal and the Air-Rail Link at the above meeting. *NO BLUE 22* T-Shirts and *I love WESTON* buttons will be available.

Re: Mon. Jan. 16th-ALL CANDIDATES DEBATE-ARL vs. PUBLIC TRAN

just got back from the meeting.

based on what i heard tonight, i'm probably not voting. i'm disgusted in the poor representation in my riding.

Everybody's full of shit man! Even during the debates all the leaders were trying to agree on all issues only resorting to personal attacks on one another. Seriously I would vote for the most honest candidate, if there was one.

tonks (lib) put me to sleep. *cough* closet conservative.

some goofs (ie maybe 5 people at most) were making fun of ferriera (ndp) because he was gay and messed up the discussion.

halicki (con) asserted he was married to a woman and that he was "not gay" and at one point stated that he supported the "edmonton" subway - talk about freduan slips! he also said that weston hasn't elected a con since the times of the diefenbaker, i thought to my self, probably for a good reason.

De Angelis-Pater (grn) was really good in the begining byt toward the end of the debate she couldn't answer any more questions because she said her brain was shutting down - probably to conserve battery power. i thought she was cute.

the independant (ind) (lol) - i had no idea what he was saying most of the time.

ferriera was a cool guy just wish he supported the subway through the corridor rather than on eglinton aka -edmonton
as refered to by the con. (lib) (ndp) (con) support eglinton vs. corridor.

we also found out that the (grn) (ind) (ndp) actually live in the riding while the other 2 don't.

De Angelis-Pater (grn) was really good in the begining byt toward the end of the debate she couldn't answer any more questions because she said her brain was shutting down - probably to conserve battery power. i thought she was cute.

Her brain was shutting down? Was she too tired? She is a lawyer, she should have been able to keep herself together. That's disappointing.

i know. i was thinking to my self - noooooooooo! you just ruined your chance, you were doing good and now it's lost because of that comment.

Candidates grilled on air-rail link
Residents' group wants Blue 22 railway scrapped Liberal backs `accountable'
high-speed service
Jan. 17, 2006. 01:00 AM
PETER SMALL
STAFF REPORTER

Residents of Weston wasted little time last night in asking tough questions of federal candidates for York South-Weston riding on the proposed rail link between Union Station and Pearson airport dubbed Blue 22 that would run through their area.

"If elected, what would you do to kill Blue 22?" was the first prepared question fired at the candidates by the Weston Community Coalition, which sponsored the packed meeting.

Liberal incumbent Alan Tonks said he was in favour of a rail link, drawing immediate boos from some in the crowd.

"What I cannot support is the presence of a high-speed service that will cut" the community in half, he added. "At the end of this process, at the end of the day, we will have an environmentally sustainable and accountable proposal," he said to applause.

NDP challenger Paul Ferreira blasted Tonks, saying his office has not done a thing to oppose the rail link, which he said would cost taxpayers almost $1 billion but be run by private interests.

This observation elicited cries of "shame" from some in the crowd.

"I'm opposed, dead set against the Liberal gravy train. A vote for me would stop it dead in its tracks,'' Ferreira said to applause.

Conservative candidate Steve Halicki said if elected, he would try to kill the rail link by taking the issue straight to his caucus, or by putting forward a private member's bill.

The money would be better spent on mass transit, he said.

"Spending this kind of money simply to shuffle gamblers up to Woodbine racetrack can't be justified. Let's kill the Blue 22,'' said Halicki to sustained clapping.

Green party candidate Maria De Angelis-Pater also said she was against the rail link.

"We're going to get smelly old trains. I will do anything I can to stop the Blue 22," she said.

The meeting, at Weston Collegiate Institute auditorium, was attended by an overflow crowd of more than 600. Many are concerned about how the link may cut off one part of the neighbourhood, centred on Weston Rd. and Lawrence Ave. W., from the other.

GO Transit and SNC Lavalin propose to operate the Blue 22 railway on the rail corridor through Weston.

GO Transit proposed a $40 million plan to dig a trench for three of the five sets of railway tracks in Weston.

Those would be used by GO, VIA Rail, CN and Blue-22. The two CP Rail tracks would remain untouched.

The trench would allow Church and King Sts. to remain open, linking residents on one side with schools and businesses on the other.

But John St. would be closed to cars, with a pedestrian bridge built for access to the farmers' market, the centre of the community.

About 50 trains use the corridor daily now, but that would spike to more than 200 by 2009 if GO wins approval of its environmental assessment.

The coalition says it's been told by realtors that houses will lose 25 to 35 per cent of their value due to the frequency of train service — one every 7.5 minutes between 5:30 a.m. and 1 a.m. — and diesel fumes.

With the Liberals toast I would imagine that Blue 22 is one project that is game over. The whole idea that there would be a Public Private Parnership where the Private company would pay the costs is obviously completely false and the private company seems to only need to pay for stations, a small spur (if they are even paying for that), and second hand diesel Budd cars. Smells fishy to me. If the Liberals handed SNC Lavalin a special deal I can't see a non-Liberal government honouring it.

this is the irony.

Its unfortunate that by the Conservatives taking power, it might actually be good for transit. Sure they wont invest in anything, but, at least bad ideas like Blue 22 get completely canned and the Weston corridor can be left as is until a real plan can be put in place that uses the corridor to its fullest, and very important potential. It shouldnt be the case that inaction is better than action, yet, it seems that with the attitude most governments have had towards transit in the past decades that is strangely the case.

this is kinda what's needed in the georgetown corridor....

kar-lrt-heilbronn-submall-peds.jpg

how fast do these babys go?

^ That urban environment doesn't look anything like the Georgetown corridor however. I think full-sized rail vehicles (subway, GO) are better suited for longer distances between stations and greater speeds such as are required on the Georgetown corridor to the airport.

how much more more expensive is a subway train vs. an LRT similar to above?

An LRT like the one you posted above would be roughly $3 - 4 million, where as a subway unit (just a single car) is around $2.5 million. Another factor to include is the cost of the track and electrictrifaction system. I believe it is cheaper for an overhead wire system than a 3rd rail system. Overhead wire also has the benefit of being usable by a wider variety of vehicles.

Back