News   Apr 24, 2024
 975     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

Underpass Design and Improvements

This is a cool idea for a thread. There are some good ones that I'll need to think about. But an underpass I've always liked - with or without design improvements - is this one:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6720...x7WCD0_sS-_71h5b2HKQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.672551,-79.374882,3a,75y,201.54h,81.01t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sCqEWyr2IRjwAAAQW4fO9iA!2e0!3e11!6s//geo2.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=CqEWyr2IRjwAAAQW4fO9iA&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=100&h=80&yaw=83.506752&pitch=0!7i9728!8i4864?hl=en

Something about it is very urban and gritty. And I don't know why, but this one also came to mind. It used to have an automated frog croaking sound from a speaker on the ceiling whenever you passed through. And although it looks like a culvert, it actually used to be an underpass for Don Mills Rd. Imagine cars through that dinky tunnel!

The Don Valley Rainbow looks interesting.

However, it needs rainbow LED lighting during the night.

As long as it's not blue LED. I dunno why, but I do not like blue LEDs. Looks tacky.

Blue was such an unusual LED color until just barely more than ten years ago. And it was essentially nonexistent twenty years ago.

Now it's an overused LED color in cheaply-made gadgets, and very widespread in simple colored (static) LED lighting, so we're getting tired of blue (yawn) and it's gaining some tackiness as a result.

IMHO RGB or bust!

The Don Valley Rainbow looks interesting.

However, it needs rainbow LED lighting during the night.
I don't know how well that would work given how bright that area is from the highway lights. It would show up better on the ravine side. I would like to see the inside of the tunnel lit, however. I don't see that happening though because that area is dead at night and it's in Denzil's ward; i.e. that would be a wasteful expense.

A brand new local example is the BlueGold Variations colored LED lighting retrofit of the local Windsmere underpass.

AFTER (far more pedestrian-attractive):

View attachment 51663(Credit: Revington Studio website)

Windsmere Underpass Lighting Upgrade

Improves following:
3. aesthetics of some elements (especially at night)
6. sidewalk lighting

I had no idea it had that, because it turns out I only ever use the Windermere (not Windsmere) underpass during the day.

This pedestrian tunnel https://goo.gl/maps/y6w2h could stand to look less like an air-raid shelter.

This underpass could use some creative lighting https://goo.gl/maps/AOR1L and above all, a complete repaving.

Blue was such an unusual LED color until just barely more than ten years ago. And it was essentially nonexistent twenty years ago.

Now it's an overused LED color in cheaply-made gadgets, and very widespread in simple colored (static) LED lighting, so we're getting tired of blue (yawn) and it's gaining some tackiness as a result.

IMHO RGB or bust!
I believe the thinking was, blue lighting would make it difficult for those injecting drugs. Obviously this was for areas where this was a problem to begin with.

I do recall reading research that showed that for unknown reasons blue lighting dramatically reduces crime rates, which is why they'd be ideal in underpasses.

If the blue is that offensive shade that you see in Christmas lights, I can understand why it reduces crime. It actually hurts a lot of people's eyes, just to look at it. My wife and I really hate them.

Oh no. The "blind corners on both sides" tunnel? Never had a collision there but always felt like I was going to. That tunnel is just plain unsafe.

Yes, the entire stretch of the Lower Don trail from about that point south to Lake Shore is hazardous. Very narrow, blind curves, erosion, undermining, loose boards on the ped bridge... It'd be well worth it to heavily invest in it and widen anywhere it's possible.

I do recall reading research that showed that for unknown reasons blue lighting dramatically reduces crime rates, which is why they'd be ideal in underpasses.

Interesting. Perhaps it's because the blue is so off-putting to be around, that nobody wants to loiter under the glare of that light.

Good idea for a thread. Here's a video I filmed on August 8, and finally put up on YouTube today of the Windermere LEDs. Click on the Youtube logo after it's playing to be able to watch it on YouTube in HD.

The lighting shows that our underpasses can be interesting focal points along our streets. But currently, it's like lipstick on a pig. That underpass is neglected. The structure and the walls should be repainted.

Most metal-framed railway underpasses in the city are in a similar state. If the railways are federally regulated, then the federal government should set standards for the upkeep of railway infrastructure in towns and cities.

Another interesting use of LED lighting, of a new Dubai bridge, credit: Philips Lighting.

It has a sleek curvy underpass bottom, though it's more automobile-optimized, rather than overall-people-friendly. There is no sidewalk on this bridge, alas. It illustrates creative combination of an artsy bridge with artsy lighting, though blue is in abundant excess.

Credit where credit is due -- various design ideas can be incorporated into future key bridges that might hit residential opposition (in situations where there is incredible pressure to go towards a supremely expensive tunnel alternative, etc), such as the Davenport Diamond replacement, with transparent acrylic noisewalling in curvy holes.

LED-Dubais_Meydan_Bridge.jpg

COpdqryWwAEryzG.jpg

Attachments

• COpdqryWwAEryzG.jpg
    COpdqryWwAEryzG.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 528
  • LED-Dubais_Meydan_Bridge.jpg
    LED-Dubais_Meydan_Bridge.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 589

Back