Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread
Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits 
Developer: Toronto Transit Commission

TYSSE: Spadina Subway Extension (TTC) | Page 420

Discussion in 'Transportation and Infrastructure' started by 299 bloor call control., Sep 11, 2007.

1. TransitBart

TransitBart Active Member

Actually...

The MTA and the NYC subway system have been declared to be in crisis. See the link below.

http://www.metro.us/news/local-news/new-york/mta-state-emergency-cuomo-says

I like the NYC system too. It's big. Which makes us think it's world class. But transit in Toronto is pretty good. I used it last night to go to the baseball game where only someone with a lot of patience and cash would drive.

Our biggest beef is that there is not enough transit in Toronto. It has been a long haul from the 70s to here. It has made for some shitty commutes and worn nerves. So we have a round of funding that brought TYSSE, say $6 billion, ECLRT, say $8+ billion, GO Rail various, $13.5 billion, and this week's federal contribution which brings another say $15 billion to the table with a serious heavy rail people mover in the cards. All of that together would be a meaningful improvement and a step toward world class.

'World class' is a terrible expression. It's like 'good' or 'important'. Two things that you never say about yourself. If you have to, then you aren't.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    jys, kEiThZ, KevinT and 1 other person like this.

2. Richard White

Richard White Active Member

A little off topic here but this thread appears DOA.

3. EastYorkTTCFan

EastYorkTTCFan Senior Member

Well there's not much to report other than it's undergoing testing. I was on a Toronto Rocket the other day and it said Sheppard West at the front and also announced it as that too. I also saw a Toronto Rocket with a sign that said Vaughan at the front too.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 5:54 PM
  4. smallspy

smallspy Senior Member

Other than to increase your post count, what was the point of this?

Dan
    Toronto, Ont.

5. transitnoob

transitnoob New Member

Other than to be a jerk, what was the point of this?

felix123 likes this.
  6. Leo_Chan

Leo_Chan Active Member

Other than try to calm down the flame, what was the point of this?

Can we get back to the topic?

7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Superstar

Every year for the past 6 on the Tuesday night of the ROGERS Cup I fight my my way from downtown up to York.....target getting there about 5:30 to grab a bite before the evening sessions begin at 7......nice to know this is the last year of it being such a hassle.

TransitBart likes this.
  8. TransitBart

TransitBart Active Member

Now there's something I never thought of. Going to see a decent tennis game won't be such a colossal pain in the ass. *Ok. I'll drop you guys here while I drive - a million miles to park and walk back.*

kEiThZ and EastYorkTTCFan like this.
  9. Megaton327

Megaton327 Senior Member

Is getting to York from downtown difficult? I've done it a few times at many different times of day including PM peak, and always found it one of the better transit trips in the city. You just get to Line 1, head up to Sheppard West, and hop on a 196 to campus. The 196 is an amazing route, it's blisteringly fast due to the dedicated bus lanes on Dufferin then the busway to York. I was in Sheppard West recently and I even saw signs for a Rogers Cup shuttle bus--I'd presume it takes the same bus lanes and busway and just takes you more directly to the part of the york campus with the games. Mind you, the 196 stops at a pretty central location, I don't think it would be too long of a walk from there.

Parking at such a major event would obviously be unwise. People coming from the south, or from the east/west via the 401, could park at Sheppard West, Wilson, or Yorkdale and take the TTC. People coming from the north or from the 407 admittedly don't have many good options save maybe parking at Finch and taking the 199B, but the TTC service to York is excellent for transit riders.

10. felix123

felix123 New Member

Heh well don't worry too much about a forumer who feels the need to state his name and location in a signature after every post, as if this is an irate "Letters to the Editor" section.
    Ok ok, back on topic for real: does anyone know the latest estimate for ridership on the U-S portion of the line post-extension? I'm wondering if it's going to feel a lot more like the Yonge side of Line 1.

11. alexanderglista

alexanderglista Active Member

My Mom volunteers at the Rogers Cup, and says that this year they have been making a fair amount of announcements reminding people that the event will be subway-accessible next year.

12. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Superstar

Never heard one on the night I was there....in fact, the guy I was with asked me if I thought the subway would be well used for the event and make much of a difference and I answered...."well, not if they don't spend any time or money telling people about it".