Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

As far as I know, their rationale for doing so right now (short turns in the AM but not in the PM) is that they don't want to inconvenience outbound commuters in the afternoon. To the TTC, less frequent service inbound in the AM isn't much of an issue, but forcing people to skip or change trains outbound in the afternoon is.
Short-turning in the AM doesn't merely decrease the frequency of inbound trains from Downsview, but it also inconveniences those traveling northbound (i.e. "outbound"), which includes a lot of commuters to York University. Trains going out of service at Glencairn often dump a hundred people who have to wait there for the next train.

Short-turning in the AM doesn't merely decrease the frequency of inbound trains from Downsview, but it also inconveniences those traveling northbound (i.e. "outbound"), which includes a lot of commuters to York University. Trains going out of service at Glencairn often dump a hundred people who have to wait there for the next train.

The TTC at least has shown an intent to adjust the short-turnings. The AM short-turns used to be at St Clair West, so even if there are a hundred people getting kicked off at Glencairn today it's better than a year ago when it would have been a hundred and fifty at St Clair West.

I would hope that once the extension opens the short-turn is pushed even farther north still. Offhand I can't remember where the crossover tracks were installed, but I know they were included in the middle of the extension somewhere

They are I believe. There is no way they need a 2.5 minute service to VMC at anytime of the day. Occasional yard trips to Wilson happens. They should really use directions especially in a situation where both sides on St George have trains. Once can just heard the direction and get on instead of fighting through people to get to a map, read the terminal name and board the next train (cause that one will be gone).

Yes it's fine to just say Line 2 to Kipling but it would be better to say Line 2 Westbound to Kipling. It doesn't heard and it it would help riders out. Miway has the direction on all bus destination signs for years.

Has the TTC published their complete service plan for TYSSE yet?

There's not a snowballs chance in hell at VMC needs 2.5 min service, at any point in the day, and I'd be disappointed if the TTC wasted money on providing that service. Even more so when we consider that the capacity constraint on Yonge won't be the signalling system, but rather the TTC not having enough trains to provide full service to Yonge. Those trains could be better ulizied elsewhere on the line.

The TTC at least has shown an intent to adjust the short-turnings. The AM short-turns used to be at St Clair West, so even if there are a hundred people getting kicked off at Glencairn today it's better than a year ago when it would have been a hundred and fifty at St Clair West.

I would hope that once the extension opens the short-turn is pushed even farther north still. Offhand I can't remember where the crossover tracks were installed, but I know they were included in the middle of the extension somewhere
The pocket track is south of Lawrence West. They kick people out and head north to that pocket track and wait.

Has the TTC published their complete service plan for TYSSE yet?

There's not a snowballs chance in hell at VMC needs 2.5 min service, at any point in the day, and I'd be disappointed if the TTC wasted money on providing that service. Even more so when we consider that the capacity constraint on Yonge won't be the signalling system, but rather the TTC not having enough trains to provide full service to Yonge. Those trains could be better ulizied elsewhere on the line.
Knowing the TTC, they only write the detail schedule within a few months of the operating board period. They also love to change things on the fly. Something like the 30 year schedule plan for the ION LRT will never work. The route changes have been approved in May's board allowing them to write the detail schedules now. Insiders would know by fall. TTC only makes changes at new board period to reduce the complexity of a messed up crew schedule and unnecessary extra vehicles. I would expect the TYSSE to be planned to open in mid-December when the holiday board starts.

The TTC has always had a plan in place to gradually extend the short-turn service further and further north as the ridership increased to match it. Now that they've finally made it to Glencairn, the next jump will be to Wilson - date unknown, especially since they've postponed the pocket track needed to do it - with the final short-turn location being Finch West before all service would have to run to VMC.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I wonder how these emergency exits will look with tall buildings next to them.
Look to the past. Here's the one they built 20 years ago on Dufferin north of Sheppard.
upload_2017-7-4_19-35-14.png

Or Church and Yonge 40 years ago.
upload_2017-7-4_19-39-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-4_19-35-14.png
    upload_2017-7-4_19-35-14.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 395
  • upload_2017-7-4_19-39-34.png
    upload_2017-7-4_19-39-34.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 372

Dumping a hundred people at Glencairn (or Wilson) in the morning is a much smaller problem than dumping several hundred people there in the afternoon. That's why there are short turns in the AM peak but not the PM peak.

Dumping a hundred people at Glencairn (or Wilson) in the morning is a much smaller problem than dumping several hundred people there in the afternoon. That's why there are short turns in the AM peak but not the PM peak.

To be honest, it's really not a problem. The TTC would run the short-turn service in the afternoon if it wasn't for the fact that average ridership on that part of the line is not as low in the afternoons as it is elsewhere on the YUS. That, combined with the wider headways in the afternoons allows them to run all of the trains to Sheppard West.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It may be a small problem for the TTC, but for people commuting to York University it is a significant annoyance, especially combined with the fact that the next train will still make a painfully slow crawl from Yorkdale to Sheppard West. These are people commuting to work/school. The fact that they are traveling in off-peak direction should not be an excuse for the TTC to delay their commute.

It may be a small problem for the TTC, but for people commuting to York University it is a significant annoyance, especially combined with the fact that the next train will still make a painfully slow crawl from Yorkdale to Sheppard West. These are people commuting to work/school. The fact that they are traveling in off-peak direction should not be an excuse for the TTC to delay their commute.

Cost and benefits. What's the cost of short-turning trains during the AM and PM peak, and what's the benefit? What's the cost of running every train through to the terminus, and what's the benefit?

As far as I can tell, the TTC has determined that the cost (spending money to have more trains running) isn't worth the benefits in the morning (not having to dump a smaller number of passengers mid-trip), but is worth the benefits in the afternoon (not having to dump a larger number of passengers mid-trip).

The TTC would run the short-turn service in the afternoon if it wasn't for the fact that average ridership on that part of the line is not as low in the afternoons as it is elsewhere on the YUS.

Ridership isn't significantly different in the AM peak than the PM peak. The problem is that the impact is different. For southbound passengers it means waiting a couple more minutes for the train, which is a relatively small issue. For northbound passengers it means unloading an entire train at Glencairn, which is a bigger inconvenience for passengers and a bigger problem with the platform's capacity.

If they short-turn at Sheppard West (AKA Downsview in a former life), it could continue in the future eastward on a Sheppard Subway extension to Yonge and onward to Don Mills. In other words, a branch operation like they have in other cities in the world.

Back