Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I hope that they don't need to spend too much time on clearance testing. It seems unbelievable that with so many years of operational experience with the tr that they would even take the chance of having a tunnel design that would be remotely close to having clearance issues. Hopefully the majority of the summer and fall's worth of testing is going to be for atc calibration and not on fundamental issues that really shouldn't be showing up.

They don't spend much time doing it. That's why they don't have a dedicated car for it anymore.

But they have to do it. For instance, last year they found that the contractor pouring the invert mis-calculated in a number of spots after they'd put the double-ties and rail in, and so they had to go back and remove all of the installed equipment to shave a couple of inches off of it.

At the end of the day, it's part of the process of commissioning the line, and so it has to be done.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

When the TTC ordered the longer M-1 Montreal Locomotive Works series of subway cars by 1963, they were the longest (and lightest) subway train car, at the time. However, they were limited in the length by the curve in the tracks between King and Union Stations. See link.

TTC_M1_Subway_Car_at_Greenwood_Yard.jpg

subway-5502-05.jpg

When the TTC ordered the longer M-1 Montreal Locomotive Works series of subway cars by 1963, they were the longest (and lightest) subway train car, at the time. However, they were limited in the length by the curve in the tracks between King and Union Stations. See link.

TTC_M1_Subway_Car_at_Greenwood_Yard.jpg

subway-5502-05.jpg

I would assume that each section of the Toronto Rockets is limited in length for the same reasons as well.

Alos of note Brad Ross was asked on Twitter the other day about when Downsview station would be remained and he said in May. I would presume they would need to doi as part of the testing of the line to make sure the trains make all the correct announcements at the right points.

Alos of note Brad Ross was asked on Twitter the other day about when Downsview station would be remained and he said in May. I would presume they would need to doi as part of the testing of the line to make sure the trains make all the correct announcements at the right points.

That's not likely a serious concern for the TTC and would not take 7 months to do.

I know that the TRs already have the new station lights on the in train maps (only need to replace the paper and programming), but do the T1s have the extra lights? If not, will they be added or just left alone?

I know that the TRs already have the new station lights on the in train maps (only need to replace the paper and programming), but do the T1s have the extra lights? If not, will they be added or just left alone?
The t1s just have paper maps no lights on them. Both sets of trains are getting LED boards put in them that will display the line information on them.

The t1s just have paper maps no lights on them. Both sets of trains are getting LED boards put in them that will display the line information on them.

To be clear, I presume you're referring to the boards that will be on the sides of the trains i.e. located in the windows so that they're visible to people standing on the platform, and what they'll show is the final destination station for that train.

To be clear, I presume you're referring to the boards that will be on the sides of the trains i.e. located in the windows so that they're visible to people standing on the platform, and what they'll show is the final destination station for that train.

So both trains will get new paper maps inside the trains as well as LED signs on the "outside" to show their destination(s). However, only the TRs will have maps with holes for lights?

I hope that they don't need to spend too much time on clearance testing. It seems unbelievable that with so many years of operational experience with the tr that they would even take the chance of having a tunnel design that would be remotely close to having clearance issues. Hopefully the majority of the summer and fall's worth of testing is going to be for atc calibration and not on fundamental issues that really shouldn't be showing up.
I don't know if it has happened to the TTC in the past, but it has happened quite a few times on other systems. Plus it's almost inevitably required for certification before the public can use the system.
They don't spend much time doing it. That's why they don't have a dedicated car for it anymore.

But they have to do it. For instance, last year they found that the contractor pouring the invert mis-calculated in a number of spots after they'd put the double-ties and rail in, and so they had to go back and remove all of the installed equipment to shave a couple of inches off of it.

Not subway related, but remember this also happened:

Leslie Street Barns delayed by faulty streetcar track installation
60 metres of new track were laid 9 cm too high, city says

Foam bits! Real high tech! What a bunch of gravy on that train.

We really have lost our way if a forum of people who purport to be a bunch of transit enthusiasts begin to whinge "Gravy Train!!!" over something as simple as tunnel clearance testing.

Really, come on now. I was one of the biggest critics of the subway to Vaughan but enough is enough, move on.

We really have lost our way if a forum of people who purport to be a bunch of transit enthusiasts begin to whinge "Gravy Train!!!" over something as simple as tunnel clearance testing.

Really, come on now. I was one of the biggest critics of the subway to Vaughan but enough is enough, move on.

I was actually joking about the method of clearance testing seeming so low-tech...

Back