Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Am I the only one who thinks the new Downsview Park station is god awful? I mean what were the designers thinking?
https://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/About_the_Project/Photo_Gallery/Photo_Gallery_Images/A25-1_DSC_0388.jpg

That shade of yellow is absolutely played out and looks straight out of the 1970s. I can name multiple stations off the top of my head with that ugly yellow. Main St, Christie, Castle Frank, Greenwood, Lawrence, Yonge, Spadina, Sheppard, Royal York. We didn't need an additional one.

And the copper roof? Who's great idea was that? We all know how leaky TTC infrastructure eventually becomes. It'll be a nice shade of green soon. lol

Copper will oxidize regardless of the elements and as a result will turn green.

Personally I would have preferred concrete bunkers akin to the gun batteries in Normandy.

In spite of the colours and the design, what truly floors me is why did they build such a large and spacious station. It will be empty 24/7 and likely have the lowest ridership in the system, making Bessarion look busy by comparison. All that was needed here was a small building with a tiny footprint to facilitate a connection to the GO train. The rest of the land should have been sold off for some development so that there would be actual riders who could use this stop.

In spite of the colours and the design, what truly floors me is why did they build such a large and spacious station. It will be empty 24/7 and likely have the lowest ridership in the system, making Bessarion look busy by comparison. All that was needed here was a small building with a tiny footprint to facilitate a connection to the GO train. The rest of the land should have been sold off for some development so that there would be actual riders who could use this stop.

well it was most likely a political decision...in other words they just wanted to show the rest of the work how big their manhood is, but in reality its at best just average....

If Downsview is to be used a place to host large outdoor music festivals, which it has in the past, a large station would be good to handle large crowds.
Don't forget that Canada is in the bidding for the rights to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup (recently expanded to 48 teams), which would mean that Toronto would need to have a new stadium in order to meet FIFA standards (sorry BMO Field and SkyDome).

Oh, and with the new stadium, Toronto could get an NFL team as well (and if the stadium has either a fixed roof or a retractable roof, it could host the Super Bowl as well).

Downsview Park is often cited to be the best place for a new stadium.

The stadium would make the station much busier.

Don't forget that Canada is in the bidding for the rights to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup (recently expanded to 48 teams), which would mean that Toronto would need to have a new stadium in order to meet FIFA standards (sorry BMO Field and SkyDome).

Oh, and with the new stadium, Toronto could get an NFL team as well (and if the stadium has either a fixed roof or a retractable roof, it could host the Super Bowl as well).

That's a lot of speculation. First of all isn't Downsview park Crown land which mean that the federal government would have to approve any new use for it. Second last I herd when Bon Jovi was making noise about buying the Bills the NFL said that they have no interest in a team in Canada. The experiment with the bills paying home games in the rogers s centre was deemed a failure by them. Right now they seem to be entertaining the Idea of having a team in the UK. They have played a few games there and have gotten bigger attendance at them then any of the games her did, although I don't relly know how much support a team based ther would get. As for FIF in 2026 I relly don't see it happening with the growing cost of building facilities for one off sporting events I can see fewer and fewer new countries budding for those things or being awarded them with out the infrastructure in place.

When the City was searching for a site for the domed stadium in the 80s, Downsview was shortlisted as a possible site, and the subway would have been extended there to service it.

Copper will oxidize regardless of the elements and as a result will turn green.

Personally I would have preferred concrete bunkers akin to the gun batteries in Normandy.

It's true that copper oxidizes, but who said the roof at Downsview Park is copper?

From the TTC report on finishes:
"Cornice and roof overhang soffits are clad in prefinished silver grey aluminum panels."

And Steeles West is Corten steel, if that's what you're thinking of. I've only driven by the station and I'm not an expert in metallurgy so I don't know, but I see no evidence anywhere they're using copper.

As for the use of the park, that's a whole other discussion. It's federal land and there is a plan for the park and it's been slow developing. There is no plan that includes a stadium though, as others have said, it's been proposed at various times. I doubt the world cup is sufficient to justify a full stadium and both an NFL team and a new Blue Jays stadium are both years off, if even possible at all. It could be that the station makes it easier to justify some large concerts but there is, right now, nothing in place that makes the area around there a permanent destination of any kind.

Am I the only one who thinks the new Downsview Park station is god awful? I mean what were the designers thinking?
https://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/About_the_Project/Photo_Gallery/Photo_Gallery_Images/A25-1_DSC_0388.jpg

That shade of yellow is absolutely played out and looks straight out of the 1970s. I can name multiple stations off the top of my head with that ugly yellow. Main St, Christie, Castle Frank, Greenwood, Lawrence, Yonge, Spadina, Sheppard, Royal York. We didn't need an additional one.
That's just a bad photo. UT was part of the media tour of the station today, and it looked far nicer than that photo would make it seem. I'll be uploading several photos in the coming days.

Mark your date on the calender to see the new stations before service starts.

TTC will have one or more stations open at the end of May for Toronto Open Door event. Downsview Park will be one of them based on what I saw today.

In October, all the stations will host an open house with date to follow later in the Year.

No date at this time, but Grand Opening is plan for Dec.

Downsview Park will have no fare collector as well the rest of the stations and will be service by the next phase of Presto 100%. Customer service will replace fare collect.

April 1st, tracks go live with the gate at Downsview between the 2 section opening up on May 1st to allow the first train to be tow to Vaughan

Met 2 members of the board for today tours and write ups and photos to follow in the next day or so.

If you want to use GO, you can bypass TTC fare area as well walk from one side of the tracks to the other freely under the plan 3 tracks. Work is underway on the GO side platforms.

As for the station been bad looking, I would say its run of the mill and too much Sheppard concrete look.

It's true that copper oxidizes, but who said the roof at Downsview Park is copper?

From the TTC report on finishes:
"Cornice and roof overhang soffits are clad in prefinished silver grey aluminum panels."

And Steeles West is Corten steel, if that's what you're thinking of. I've only driven by the station and I'm not an expert in metallurgy so I don't know, but I see no evidence anywhere they're using copper.

It doesn't look like real copper - more like painted aluminum.

AoD

Video of Downswiew Park Station

In spite of the colours and the design, what truly floors me is why did they build such a large and spacious station. It will be empty 24/7 and likely have the lowest ridership in the system, making Bessarion look busy by comparison. All that was needed here was a small building with a tiny footprint to facilitate a connection to the GO train.

I don't think it will be empty 24/7. If GO RER materializes on the Barrie line as planned, Downsview Park station will see a lot of people transfer on their way to York University.

Back