News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 858     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

TTC: Waterfront Transit EA

When the Master Transit Plan was first looked at starting in 2004, we were confine to a small area like most EA's and not having a say or option as to things that could effect the Master EA outside the area.

Were were to based the EA on a vision for the waterfront based on various density proposed for the various areas.

We did look at all modes of transit and at the end of the day streetcars made the grade barely since TTC prefer not to go to buses and used the existing streetcar system as a backbone.

The Master EA plan call for a GO Station at Cherry St that would be service by ""ALL"" GO east routes including the RHC line.

We had no say in the Gardiner as well.

What we have seen since then 2004 as well the approved EA is a totally different vision as to what Density will be, where it will be, hop scotching of development from one area to another area to the point some areas are way down the list for development. Waterfront Toronto was promises new LRV and QQE by 2007 and here we are 8 years later still waiting for them while development is happen faster than plan.

The Whole Portland area is a 25-50 year plan to the point the city has decided to removed transit from existing plans since they are beyond the 25 year time frame now in their view.

The Keating Channel is still 10-15 years out with developers wanting into this area before then as well the cleaning of the land and building new infrastructure.

I have been on record since 2006 when TTC presented the current proposal for Union Loop that it was only good for 10-15 and needs to be build right from day one. The ridership being shown in past posting are lower than what was presented in 2006 and fails to take into consideration the major redevelopment now plan, let alone underway.

I have always supported an express type LRT on the Lake Shore which was in the approved Master Plan before being sent to the Province for final approval. When the Province requested the Master Plan be broken down into 3 separated EA's, TTC removed the Lake Shore Line unknown to most of the committee who wrote the EA with the backing of Waterfront Toronto.

TTC is at fault for the delay of building the QQE extension since they want to build this outdated loop with no option to upgrade it as some future date. At the same time, Metrolinx is on the hock for not really looking at this loop issue and not willing to kick in money to build a true Transit Hub beside buses.

The worse thing the City/TTC/Metrolinx can do is building the DRL to Union Station when there is no capacity there in the first place, let alone the streets around it to handle the extra 1,000's of riders arriving or departing especially at peak time. Its a zoo now at Front St let alone on Bay.

Having A DRL mid way between Front & Queen is not a killer and in line how people do it in various areas around the world today.

The longer we keep pushing back on the approved Transit Plans, More cars will make there way in creating more of a gridlock than been plan and having an bad effect on everyone life on a daily base.

To go elevated, you need to change a lot of powerful minds with deep pockets as well the street designs that are nearing final designs, but who going to pay for this??

There is a public meeting in October for the final design of the Keating Channel area and it calls for both the Cherry St and QQE extension.

You can't keep building orphan systems like the SRT as you need to build it into a network.

As for the Dockland proposal, Only good in London and not for here. I have been on it. Unless you plan building a long line, too short for here.

At the TTC Budget Committee yesterday the following motion was passed: "Request TTC staff, working with the City of Toronto Manager, and Waterfront Toronto, to prioritize the East Bayfront LRT project, and to report back to the TTC’s Budget Committee on how to expedite the work, starting with the planning and engineering work." Maybe something is actually happening!

Re: development. This isn't just the 3C site that could increase in size/scope, but other areas like Lower Yonge Precinct and the greater Port Lands. For the Villiers Island precinct, the recent acceleration initiative reduced the greenspace and vastly increased the developable area (tho I believe a large portion b/n Cherry and Don Rdwy will be reserved or something major like an Expo). As well, one thing to consider is the lack of Nimbys. With the exception of probable height restrictions due to BBA flightpaths, it's carte blanche to build whatever.

Actually no, the Portland plans are advancing and the amount of residents/jobs proposed is not that high. It's along the lines of WDL. The question is whether the area warrants a line that goes direct to Union with all the riders using it, or whether the transit in the area should be focusing on directing riders to the proposed heavy rail options. I'd prefer the latter - with a focus on ensuring those forementioned options get implemented. Emphasize the N-S connection to the rest of the city - and leave DRL/RER to handle the E-W, with QQE/Portlands serving the connector role first, E-W travel second and avoid overloading Union.

And on the issue of red light proliferation on QQW - it's more an issue of trying to deal with access issues with extant developments along the stretch. QQE is a relative carte blanche.

AoD

Last edited:
When the Master Transit Plan was first looked at starting in 2004, we were confine to a small area like most EA's and not having a say or option as to things that could effect the Master EA outside the area.

Were were to based the EA on a vision for the waterfront based on various density proposed for the various areas.

We did look at all modes of transit and at the end of the day streetcars made the grade barely since TTC prefer not to go to buses and used the existing streetcar system as a backbone.

The Master EA plan call for a GO Station at Cherry St that would be service by ""ALL"" GO east routes including the RHC line.

We had no say in the Gardiner as well.

What we have seen since then 2004 as well the approved EA is a totally different vision as to what Density will be, where it will be, hop scotching of development from one area to another area to the point some areas are way down the list for development. Waterfront Toronto was promises new LRV and QQE by 2007 and here we are 8 years later still waiting for them while development is happen faster than plan.

The Whole Portland area is a 25-50 year plan to the point the city has decided to removed transit from existing plans since they are beyond the 25 year time frame now in their view.

The Keating Channel is still 10-15 years out with developers wanting into this area before then as well the cleaning of the land and building new infrastructure.

I have been on record since 2006 when TTC presented the current proposal for Union Loop that it was only good for 10-15 and needs to be build right from day one. The ridership being shown in past posting are lower than what was presented in 2006 and fails to take into consideration the major redevelopment now plan, let alone underway.

I have always supported an express type LRT on the Lake Shore which was in the approved Master Plan before being sent to the Province for final approval. When the Province requested the Master Plan be broken down into 3 separated EA's, TTC removed the Lake Shore Line unknown to most of the committee who wrote the EA with the backing of Waterfront Toronto.

TTC is at fault for the delay of building the QQE extension since they want to build this outdated loop with no option to upgrade it as some future date. At the same time, Metrolinx is on the hock for not really looking at this loop issue and not willing to kick in money to build a true Transit Hub beside buses.

The worse thing the City/TTC/Metrolinx can do is building the DRL to Union Station when there is no capacity there in the first place, let alone the streets around it to handle the extra 1,000's of riders arriving or departing especially at peak time. Its a zoo now at Front St let alone on Bay.

Having A DRL mid way between Front & Queen is not a killer and in line how people do it in various areas around the world today.

The longer we keep pushing back on the approved Transit Plans, More cars will make there way in creating more of a gridlock than been plan and having an bad effect on everyone life on a daily base.

To go elevated, you need to change a lot of powerful minds with deep pockets as well the street designs that are nearing final designs, but who going to pay for this??

There is a public meeting in October for the final design of the Keating Channel area and it calls for both the Cherry St and QQE extension.

You can't keep building orphan systems like the SRT as you need to build it into a network.

As for the Dockland proposal, Only good in London and not for here. I have been on it. Unless you plan building a long line, too short for here.

You make some great points, and I feel that the City/TTC/Metrolinx would be wise to listen to your concerns re: the existing plans. One thing I'd disagree on though are the merits of a Lake Shore express route. I get that it'd serve as a bypass to ferry riders from the Port Lands to Union direct, but IMO it'd be pretty costly and redundant to build a second line. As well, a proposal for two parallel street rail lines so close together might not go over well at Council. I believe a better investment would be to build a single line (in stages) - but one offering superior speed, reliability, and capacity over the existing QQE proposal. Which takes me back to the point about a system like London's DLR:

One thing I'd like to see studied (but am 99% sure won't ever be) is an elevated streetcar. It might sound funny, or odd, but there'd be nothing orphan or proprietary about it. And it would keep in-line with past plans such as the pre-ICTS plan for the Scarb RT, and the unbuilt Etobicoke RT. Both of those lines were to be CLRVs operating as fully (or mostly) grade-separate RT routes. Sure those plans are 30+ years old, but that's not that long in the grand scheme of things. It's still a viable method, just as the S(L)RT was to be. The only thing 'orphan' may be a decision like ordering bi-directional Outlooks, and perhaps operating in coupled pairs. But aside from that the system could be linked to the legacy network at one or both ends, and the Leslie Barns for maintenance.

In the EBF I'd imagine it operating from Union along a Harbour St extension, then along Lake Shore to Cherry. Stations would be very basic, and small (30m, with potential upgrade to 60m). If such a plan allowed for upzoning, I think developers would be more than welcoming - perhaps even offering some land for stations. DC could pay a small portion, as could reallocated S37 funds. I've posted this before, but this Dutch tram route is pretty close to what I imagine:

24483188-elevated-tram-rails-in-The-Hague-Netherlands-Because-of-its-shape-it-is-also-called-the-fishnet-stoc-Stock-Photo.jpg

*And thanks to the UT team for the acknowledgment in your related article. It's very much appreciated!

The Lake Shore is not 100% express, but has very few stops and it helps to service the east a lot better than it is now in haft the time. It will service the area between Leslie and Yonge with 8 stops.

As for elevated, not a fan of centre of the road but one that connect directly to buildings to cut down on the station cost as well better access to it and the buildings. Centre of the road is still catering to the cars and this has to stop as cars are not supporting the way of life, its hurting it. Cities were built for people not cars and time to start doing away with as many cars we can to increases quality of life.

There is a fear that these elevated lines will be an eye sore and that is not true if done right. This is where deep pockets and car folks come into play. One eye sore I can say for a fact is the overhead of streetcars or trolleybuses. In the next 10-20 years, overhead will be a thing from the past as battery get better for both streetcars and buses. a huge cost saving as well reducing the labour force for maintaining them.

As I stated, we looked at every mode of transit from elevated to underground back in 2004 and streetcars were and are the best option for the Waterfront even with the increase of density. I have done a full breakdown in a spreadsheet on all the various options and going to a higher PPHPD than what was proposed. It out in one of the main threads for everyone to see.

The fact we have to stop talking and start building if we are every going to catchup to where we should be. The East QQ is support to be completed now to match the west and some work has been done so far for cycles only.

I wonder if incorporating elevated into a reworked Gardiner/Lakeshore corridor would be better than trying it on Queen's Quay.

It is worth considering.

However, I would try to use same vehicle type (legacy-compatible streetcars) to simplify the operations, even if they are slightly sub-optimal for this kind of service.

After all, the Leslie yard is going to be nearby.

The other thing about elevated besides blight on the street beneath is that it complicates access issues unless platforms have "+15" type connections to nearby buildings for access to weather protected elevators/escalators.

As a note to elevation, Dallas just approved a 2nd line downtown and it going to be elevated.

The other thing about elevated besides blight on the street beneath is that it complicates access issues unless platforms have "+15" type connections to nearby buildings for access to weather protected elevators/escalators.

+15 type of connections are not exactly necessary, but I do agree it would be an improvement. Further up Drum makes a note about how something similar is preferable, which I agree with (though not as a full Skyway-type system, which invariably would clash with WaterfronTO's and Jane Jacob's ethos for a lively pedestrian realm). Stations would still be a bare-bones approach similar to our existing Ferry Docks stn.

Your point about +15 is why I think there should be little dawdling and that the Yonge Precinct and EBF transportation master plans should be reopened and tweaked (with significant developer input) so that we could allow for incorporation of properties adjacent to Harbour St and Lake Shore E. Because this area has such a blank slate / greenfield characteristic due to the dearth of existing development, I try not to envision elevated in this scenario as a "blight" - as if it's dumped in as an ad hoc afterthought. But rather something incorporated and woven into ongoing buildout.

Elevated does not have to be a "blight"; it only becomes a blight if designed the cheapest and most primitive way.

There are many elevated transit lines around the world that look nice enough, and are integrated with the streetscape.

Brampton's stupid dithering could prove beneficial towards getting this funded - let's hope that continues!

Back