Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

The public art in Queen and College stations are great. Rather than some depressing scribbles from an art teacher's sketch pad.
The art at Queen and College stations are more like comics; more quickly readable, but also more disposable. Not that I think they're bad, but I think that Union takes longer to get into, but once you get it, it will have you for longer.

I've been using the station a lot this week taking the kids to camp at Harbourfront. I think it turned out quite well. The direct connection from the streetcar to the south platform is a great improvement.

I've been using the station a lot this week taking the kids to camp at Harbourfront. I think it turned out quite well. The direct connection from the streetcar to the south platform is a great improvement.
Oh, that it is. Transferring from the streetcar to the subway north on Yonge is like a dream. And kind of cool that you can see the streetcars on the platform while still in the subway train!

How are the lineups for the 509?

When I was there on the opening of Queens Quay, the lines extended all the way to the Line 1 platform. And that was with crowd control barriers to fit more people into the space.

How are the lineups for the 509?

When I was there on the opening of Queens Quay, the lines extended all the way to the Line 1 platform. And that was with crowd control barriers to fit more people into the space.

They are pretty regularly that far--PM peak when commuters are heading home, and most hours on weekends or holidays when the weather is nice, it stretches to the doors at minimum, frequently well onto the platform, and sometimes a bit down the platform as well! It's madness. The TTC has managed to completely screw up 509 service, they are doing absolutely zero line management whatsoever. I had a 37 minute wait at 10 PM a couple of nights ago--it's scheduled for 8 minutes, making it a 29 minute delay. I checked the tracking and all five streetcars had just departed westbound, they all arrived at CNE together, and they all headed back to Union basically together. Even LFLRVs, when they arrive, are frequently standing room only and sometimes completely full to at least Spadina.

Alright, I stand corrected, they managed to make it AS boring as every other station. What happened to the vibrant colours of the original Yonge line when it was first built?
People like yourself thought they were boring. Also water damage.

Not totally new, but they finally put up station name panels on the drab concrete outer wall of the University platform. At the west end there is still one old name panel from the "metal slats" era of the station on the wall. It's too bad they didn't even put up the enamel wall panels like St. Andrew or York Mills on this wall to make the whole station look finished.

I think this turned out great. I remember the single platform and stairs were very narrow and would be insanely packed after sports games. The capacity improvement seems worthwhile since this is such an important station due to the density of jobs here, GO, VIA, UPX, streetcar connection, arenas and attractions near by.

I like the aesthetic, bright, clean, modern. The street in front of the station with the food market is beautiful & vibrant now too.

It's a huge improvement that already felt insufficient. Not much they can do given the limited space, but I find the rush hour flow left much to be desired even during the summer (and that's only going to get worse). It doesn't help that the dual flow fare turnstiles creates all kinds of conflict, and that the paid area of the mezzanine is taken up by travellers asking for directions and erode the laminar flow the station.

AoD

It's a huge improvement that already felt insufficient. Not much they can do given the limited space, but I find the rush hour flow left much to be desired even during the summer (and that's only going to get worse). It doesn't help that the dual flow fare turnstiles creates all kinds of conflict, and that the paid area of the mezzanine is taken up by travellers asking for directions and erode the laminar flow the station.

AoD
Indeed. What worries me is the conflict created by the rush hour commuter flow of people coming off GO Trains and heading to the PATH. If you are coming form York concourse, it is pretty difficult to cross the flow of PATH-bound commuters.

There are also big jam-ups due to people exiting the subway and people entering the subway from the GO trains.

Indeed. What worries me is the conflict created by the rush hour commuter flow of people coming off GO Trains and heading to the PATH. If you are coming form York concourse, it is pretty difficult to cross the flow of PATH-bound commuters.

There are also big jam-ups due to people exiting the subway and people entering the subway from the GO trains.

Yeah, the PATH crossflow is pretty nasty, and the jam-up at the platform level is even worse - and of course the latter is going to do wonders to the train dwell time.

AoD

Back