Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

Love salsa's shots in post #1090. Here's another one of the same area as the first shot, but looking south from the PATH area instead of west through the fare-paid area.
DSC01069.jpg

South of the station, the big question is when will these stairs close (post Bay Concourse closure) and in what order will they change the access to the York Concourse. New stairs are coming at some point…
DSC01070.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01069.jpg
    DSC01069.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,978
  • DSC01070.jpg
    DSC01070.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 1,950
Here's the construction phasing from City of Toronto. It is listed as part of Stage 3.

Stage one

Completion of early works (demolition, abatement and other preparatory work)
Start of excavation ("dig down") under the York concourse, VIA concourse and part of the Bay concourse
Start of upgrades to mechanical and electrical systems
Start of restoration work on the exterior façade
Completion of loading dock
Completion of the Bay and York teamways within the viaduct structure
Completion of West Wing
Completion of VIA Panorama Lounge
Completion of two new bike stations
Completion of York concourse
Completion of lower retail level on west side
Completion of first part of North/West PATH across Front St.

Stage two

Continue with dig down under the Bay concourse
Continue with construction of the new Bay concourse
Construction of a retail level below the Bay concourse (part of the future Bay promenade)
Restoration of VIA concourse
Continuation of the restoration/repair of the exterior façade and initiate work within the Great Hall
Restoration of Front St. West moat and York St. moat and installation of moat covers

Stage three

Renovation of the first floor of the East Wing
Multi-phased dig down below the East Wing for the completion of the Bay promenade retail level
Completion of the repair/restoration of the Great Hall
Complete the repair/restoration of the exterior facade
Reconstruction of the Front St. East moat and installation of a moat cover including removal of the steps down to the TTC
Restoration of Bay St. moat and installation of a moat cover
Completion of the NW Path to Wellington St.

Yes, I know it's coming, but Stages Two and Three are now being combined, and besides, there are no dates or timeline associated with that list. That's what I'm wondering about.

Yes, I know it's coming, but Stages Two and Three are now being combined, and besides, there are no dates or timeline associated with that list. That's what I'm wondering about.

Even if the two phases are being combined, there are likely technical reasons why the stair demolition were initially put in Stage 3 (and near the bottom of the list). It seems reasonable to believe that they will be around for quite a while yet. And just because they are being tendered as a single contract doesn't mean that the items will occur concurrently.

I'll admit that I'm also very curious about the staging. Forward planning like that has always been my favourite aspect of the job.

Last edited:
Water leaks from the ceiling all along the University platform edge this morning. Is this a sign of poor quality work on the reno, or something else?

Water leaks from the ceiling all along the University platform edge this morning. Is this a sign of poor quality work on the reno, or something else?
It has to do with the incomplete Front St and RBC Plaza Work.

The supervisor was cleaning the water on Sat at the east end stair and said it was a loosing battle until the surface is finish.

The stairs will be either close off by sections to remove them to the current level of the concourse or close 100% one weekend to do the work.

A couple of weeks ago they were already removing ceiling panels in the mezzanine area to do some repairs. Let's see if they can stop those pesky water leaks. There is one over the stairs to the Yonge platform by the streetcar tunnel that has been recurring for months since they opened the platform.

The TTC just had a media event on the (almost) completion of the Union Stn subway project. Andy Byford spoke of the challenges in expanding the station while keeping it operating and serving about 120,000 commuters daily, compared to 70,000 when the project was first announced a decade ago. The good news is that he didn't have anything to apologize for. After Andy it was time for the requisite self-congratulatory speeches from Steven Del Duca, Joe Oliver and Michael Coteau. I had to leave as all the hot air was making it hard to breathe. Oh and they were handing out tiny little "Spacing" style UNION subway buttons.

Actually, it was Michael Coteau who spoke on behalf of Steven Del Duca, who wasn't able to be there. Councillor and TTC Chair Josh Colle also spoke, as did artist Stuart Reid.

You can read our front page coverage of the event here, including photos and a video.

Back