News   Apr 23, 2024
 311     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 370     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with the LED displays - it is sufficient for the task and offers good visibility. It is how one uses it that's the problem in this instance.

AoD
Exactly I don't think there is any transit agency that doesn't currently use them for identification of routes. If they did go with video screens like some people think they should have it would be expensive as hell becuse they would have to special order them from a manufacturer to fit the sizes they would need.

I actually prefer LED displays in most cases. They are typically more legible at a distance than backlit screen displays and are much cheaper to purchase, maintain and program. You can also use special characters for our line symbols (like ①).

When the TTC said they would add displays inside stations I had hoped they would use LED boards due to their simplicity, but they went for Ad-supported televisions instead which is disappointing since you can't even read the information from further than a few feet. You could cover the top edge of the entire platform with an LED board for a similar cost, and it would be able to display much more information than the tiny portion they have now underneath the commercials and other garbage.

I actually prefer LED displays in most cases. They are typically more legible at a distance than backlit screen displays and are much cheaper to purchase, maintain and program. You can also use special characters for our line symbols.

When the TTC said they would add displays inside stations I had hoped they would use LED boards due to their simplicity, but they went for Ad-supported televisions instead which is disappointing since you can't even read the information from further than a few feet. You could cover the top edge of the entire platform with an LED board for a similar cost, and it would be able to display much more information than the tiny portion they have now underneath the commercials and other garbage.

whoever is "sponsoring" those tvs at the stations essentially have TTC by the balls when it comes to what is installed. in their vanity ttc thought they could save a few bucks by allowing for sponsorship for these next stop displays but the end product is
just essentially TV advertising with a small "btw" display of the time. i agree you cant see the eta from more than 20ft away. ttc really shouldve invested on actual displays that show legible info. at least for STM they have it projected on a large screen.
it would seem that ttc is the only agency in the world dumb enough to be satisfied with a small advert display for their next train signage

whoever is "sponsoring" those tvs at the stations essentially have TTC by the balls when it comes to what is installed. in their vanity ttc thought they could save a few bucks by allowing for sponsorship for these next stop displays but the end product is
just essentially TV advertising with a small "btw" display of the time. i agree you cant see the eta from more than 20ft away. ttc really shouldve invested on actual displays that show legible info. at least for STM they have it projected on a large screen.
it would seem that ttc is the only agency in the world dumb enough to be satisfied with a small advert display for their next train signage

Beyond satisfying legal requirements (if that), visibility and customer information is the least of TTC's priorities. I can't think of any exemplars of signage, information and wayfinding by the org.

AoD

For comparison, this is what we just started using up here in Ottawa now. This giant (approx 4 foot tall) screen is used by the faregates at Greenboro station, so you can see when the bus or train is leaving before you tap in and where it's going to depart from:

DL8fuPtUEAEvaQo.jpg

These kinds of screens appear at the stops:
DQu4hdHVAAERt31.jpg

A shorter version of this screen is put on O-Train platforms for it's departure times

Last edited:
For comparison, this is what we just started using up here in Ottawa now. This giant screen (approx 4 foot tall) screen is used by the faregates at Greenboro station, so you can see when the bus or train is leaving before you tap in and where it's going to depart from:

DL8fuPtUEAEvaQo.jpg

These kinds of screens appear at the stops:
DQu4hdHVAAERt31.jpg

A shorter version of this screen is put on O-Train platforms for it's departure times
Hey, there's not Bayview Station on Line 2. Oh wait...

Funny OCTranspo picked the same symbol as the TTC. They thought it was very important that the Confederation Line be Line 1.

I wonder if the rich folks in Rockcliffe are upset that they are losing Route 1 to the confederation?

It’s al interesting that the old route 2 was east-west, while now it’s north-south. Same goes for the Confederation Line.

Given that the Confederation Line will handle the vast majority of ridership, it makes sense.

I wonder if the rich folks in Rockcliffe are upset that they are losing Route 1 to the confederation?

It’s al interesting that the old route 2 was east-west, while now it’s north-south. Same goes for the Confederation Line.

Given that the Confederation Line will handle the vast majority of ridership, it makes sense.

The old 1 became the 6. There's been a mass renumbering of routes here, virtually every bus route has or is getting a new number or changed into a new service type (http://www.octranspo.com/ready4rail/new_route_numbers). Our buses now have symbols depending on route type. But like the signs mentioned here on the T1s and TRs, the bus digital sign doesn't show the symbol though I think it should.

I'm assuming they'll have to start thinking of a replacement for the T1s soon given the long lead time on placing an order and actual delivery. I wonder what a new generation TR would have different about it, assuming the fiasco around the street cars doesn't convince the TTC to go to open tender.

The 2027 stock will look like the new streetcars with the same colour scheme and the large continuous windows, and be slightly longer to better fit the whole platform. And have at least 12 much shorter articulated carriages to navigate tighter turns better.

The 2027 stock will look like the new streetcars with the same colour scheme and the large continuous windows, and be slightly longer to better fit the whole platform. And have at least 12 much shorter articulated carriages to navigate tighter turns better.
And who told you this?

Back