News   Apr 24, 2024
 940     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 615     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Wilson didn't need to be updated it's Davisville that can't service them as it was designed for two cra married pairs. Alos its' not the yard space it's the maintenance area that can't handle the six car trains.

They've had to completely rebuild the shop buildings at Wilson to handle the TRs. Have you not noticed the construction that's been going on for the past 4 years?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They've had to completely rebuild the shop buildings at Wilson to handle the TRs. Have you not noticed the construction that's been going on for the past 4 years?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Why bother arguing with someone who can't even put a single sentence together without three or four errors?

I mixed up the T1 and TR's situation, it's the T1s that have some compatibility issues with the newer signal system which is part of the reason why the Sheppard line is now operated with TRs.

I don't think it's related to the signal system. I think it's a mix of the TTC (A) wanting to purge Davisville (the yard used for Sheppard) of its few T1 cars, and (B) wanting to use Sheppard to figure out how one-person train operation will work (plus it saves the TTC nearly 30,000 hours of train guards every year, which is at least $1 million of operating efficiencies)

I don't think it's related to the signal system. I think it's a mix of the TTC (A) wanting to purge Davisville (the yard used for Sheppard) of its few T1 cars, and (B) wanting to use Sheppard to figure out how one-person train operation will work (plus it saves the TTC nearly 30,000 hours of train guards every year, which is at least $1 million of operating efficiencies)

You are correct in that (B) is a factor, but otherwise its entirely the signal compatibility issue. The T1s were never designed to have any sort of ATO/ATC retrofitted into them - the TRs were designed from the outset to be so fitted. Retrofitting the T1s is possible, but will require a lot of engineering, time and cost. And seeing as how they are well past half-way through their expected lifespan, it didn't make any sense to fit them only to use them that way for a couple of years before replacing them.

The TTC doesn't want to "purge" Davisville as it is still going to be needed for storing some YUS trains that start and end at Finch.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's not a problem. It's just more efficient to keep things separate. The TTC does the same thing with bus garages - each garage only services between 2 and 4 of the buses in the TTC's fleet, rather than all eight.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
The work going on now is for the TYSSE and not Toronto Rocket related thy are currently adding a third track to exit from Sheppard west for trains to go in and oit of service on the extension without getting in the way of revenue trains.

The work going on now is for the TYSSE and not Toronto Rocket related thy are currently adding a third track to exit from Sheppard west for trains to go in and oit of service on the extension without getting in the way of revenue trains.

Wow. Just....wow.

So the lengthening of the main shop was entirely for the TYSSE? The new 2-track building extension to the east that was explicitly built with overhead cranes and gantries to work on the overhead A/C units was also for the TYSSE?

Yes, they are adding a new build-up and increasing the size of the yard. Neither of those needed any construction whatsoever to be done on the shop buildings.

Seriously, go do some reading. None of this is a secret.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Wow. Just....wow.

So the lengthening of the main shop was entirely for the TYSSE? The new 2-track building extension to the east that was explicitly built with overhead cranes and gantries to work on the overhead A/C units was also for the TYSSE?

Yes, they are adding a new build-up and increasing the size of the yard. Neither of those needed any construction whatsoever to be done on the shop buildings.

Seriously, go do some reading. None of this is a secret.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Sorry my bad I thought they were talking about the current work on the yard.

Last edited:

Back