News   Apr 24, 2024
 305     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 502     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 481     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

\
By the way, if you ever feel like the Yonge Line is packed, remember that the Lexington Avenue subway (the SAS is a "relief line" of sorts for it) has as many passengers as all three Toronto subway lines and the entire streetcar system, combined, and it's shorter than the Yonge line (13 km)

:eek:

I think they always planned on building it in phases. First one was up to 96th Street, second is to 125th Street, third goes down to Houston Street and the fourth to Hudson Square.

They'd only planned on building it in phases because of the sheer cost of building it (or frankly, anything in New York City).

Sounds familiar? We do that all the time here.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 8.17.01 PM.png

CyoFpjeWgAEzzH-.jpg-large.jpeg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 8.17.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 8.17.01 PM.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 831
  • CyoFpjeWgAEzzH-.jpg-large.jpeg
    CyoFpjeWgAEzzH-.jpg-large.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 830

Noticed last month. The switch was rather a little discombobulating. Whenever I'd glance at the map I'd think "oh, we're travelling north on University", while I otherwise knew that I was moving south on University. I wasn't really thinking consciously thinking about the map, so it took me a few stations to realize that the direction I knew I was going in, and the direction the map told me I was going in, didn't match.

in Hong Kong they just turn off the lights for the stations that has past already... even more intuitive imo.

Lights being off is useful during weekend diversions and morning short turns to indicate where trains won't be going.

I know it would be weird to ride Eastbound from Bloor to Bay station (via Kennedy) but it could be done.

So when ATC is fully implemented will they add a 7th car to fill the platform up.
Probably not as not all platforms are exactly the same length as some of them have some odd curves in them or are slightly longer. The newer ones are all designed for a six car train only. Unless they want to completely redesign the trains. The only time they have added cars to trains was back with the Gloucester trains, when they introduced the M and H series of trains as they were longer cars so they made the Gloucester 8 car trains instead of 6 car train to fill the platforms.

The trains could be longer than the platforms, but the doors at the ends of the trains would have to be able to open onto the platforms.

sheppard-rocket1.jpg

The "nose" of the train would be in the tunnel, but the door would still open to the platform.

First, the ATO will be used until the capacity would demand the addition of a small car section that would extend the whole train.

Last edited:
The trains could be longer than the platforms, but the doors at the ends of the trains would have to be able to open onto the platforms.

The "nose" of the train would be in the tunnel, but the door would still open to the platform.

First, the ATO will be used until the capacity would demand the addition of a small car section that would extend the whole train.
The fun police/safety authorities would have to sign off on that. Not exactly like a GO train opening only some doors on a short platform given the extra variables involved in subway evacuation scenarios.

The fun police/safety authorities would have to sign off on that. Not exactly like a GO train opening only some doors on a short platform given the extra variables involved in subway evacuation scenarios.

They could do what they are doing in the tube in London. they have announcements tho I don't recall if there's programming logic to keep the rear doors shut

Maybe the next generation of trains can be longer to take advantage of all the platform space. And platform doors can accommodate those train specs.

Back