News   Apr 26, 2024
 869     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 256     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 762     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

The problems are starting to snowball for Bombardier; from the TTC to London Transit delays and losing the bid for new rail cars for Chicago Transit Authority. They're having more than just "teething" problems.

I think London has a lot more problems then what they are saying. Don't forget they thought keeping wooden escalators running for hartege reasons was a good idea. Alos apparently in case of a fire onboard the train there is no way for passengers to open the doors on the inside apparently.

I think London has a lot more problems then what they are saying. Don't forget they thought keeping wooden escalators running for hartege reasons was a good idea. Alos apparently in case of a fire onboard the train there is no way for passengers to open the doors on the inside apparently.

That is 1992 tube stock built by BREL. Later bought by ABB. ABB was later bought by Bombardier. The tube had really been left without proper maintenance. I think they were also a shining example of how not to do P3 at one point.

That said, there are 239 Bombardier built trains in the London Underground and again, other than initial teething problems the trains are very reliable. There were door sensor issues initially on the 2009 Stock, and the S Stock had some performance and cab improvements that needed to be retrofitted into the first models that were delivered. That said, there are no operational reliability issues and the public feedback on the models has been great.

The Toronto Rocket subway trains are a "transitional" vehicle. It is the vehicle that takes the TTC from human driver to computer driver.

What sort of subway train could come after all the subway trains on the TTC change over to ATO, or computer drivers?
Look to other cities for examples. Montreal's equivalent of the TR then would be the 1963 stock and 1973 stock trains (introduced in 1966 and 1976). (though perhaps only the 1963 cars would be the equivalent, as it went ATC in about 1975). If you compare the cabs on those trains, to the new trains being introduced now ... well, stylistically they look a bit newer, but fundamentally, they haven't really changed in 50+ years - still having a cab.

It's scapegoating one of their many problems of course, and if was the fault of Bombardier or not, they'll still have that negative press hanging over their head.

As for why the doors don't open from the inside, they simply don't want passengers going down the secret adjacent tunnels under London...Er, I mean, they don't want passengers getting lost in that maze. Safety reasons. :cool:

A bit late, but here are pictures of cars 6171 and 6172 sitting at a truck stop in North Bay on Easter weekend. Note that 6172 has two different colours of numbers for some reason.

2016-03-26 DSC09526c.jpg
2016-03-26 DSC09528c.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-03-26 DSC09526c.jpg
    2016-03-26 DSC09526c.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 480
  • 2016-03-26 DSC09528c.jpg
    2016-03-26 DSC09528c.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 471
They may never end up serving on Line 2. If the next trains can't physically hold more people or go faster then just put the newer trains on Line 2, and you would order less of them.

They didn't bother swapping H5 trains on Line 1 for H6 trains probably for that reason since it would be a waste of time and effort.

From CEO Report

T1
The MDBF increased in February to 397,588 kilometres. Overall performance was above target for the fifth consecutive month. Benefits from accelerated door overhauls are expected to be realized in the coming months. Door pocket guides are being overhauled, with an estimated completion at the end of 2016. Master controller upgrades commenced in Q2 2014, with an estimated completion date of Q3 2016. Maintenance and engineering staff are collaborating to ensure that the standard inspection and door set-up programs are robust. Long-term design solutions include a PLC Door Control System, a Door Interlock Rebuild Program, and a new cab seat prototype design.

TR
The MDBF decreased in February for the second consecutive month to 752,265 kilometres. Overall performance was below target for the first time in six months. Reliability teams are testing a cab door solution that provides the option of allowing trains to remain in service. The car builder has begun installing the solution on the remainder of the fleet. The Passenger Door System received numerous modifications and fleet retrofits of the new modifications are now underway. Maintenance staff continues to monitor vehicle performance, as well as hosting regular meetings with Bombardier’s Product Integration (PI) Team.

Does anyone know exactly what is wrong with the doors?

The side cab doors? They've never been able to get them to operate reliably.

The main doors? Still some minor quibbles about the sensitivity of the edges, and I think that there was an issue last winter with the door tracks not being quite as self-cleaning as they were supposed to be. They have been working on software fixes for the door edges, and I don't know if they came up with a solution to the tracks.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Anybody mention how when the trains get to Union, they don't call out what side the doors open and the display doesn't show the arrows? I wonder if the software can't handle the platforms being on different sides of the train in different directions.

Anybody mention how when the trains get to Union, they don't call out what side the doors open and the display doesn't show the arrows? I wonder if the software can't handle the platforms being on different sides of the train in different directions.

As far as I can tell, they haven't reconfigured the SCS beacons leading into Union yet.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back