27     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 448     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 781     3 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

This guy should do the door announcements:

(1:31)

"The train is out of service please leave. If you don't leave you're stuck on it for an hour!! Get out the train!!"

In all fairness, guaranteed he walked through the train after parking it and there was someone with their earphones stuck in looking up at him like "Whuuuu?" - must happen every time and be so friggin' annoying. He probably had to get that train in and out of Christie really quickly to not impede further train traffic behind him.

On the subject of announcements, I've always wished they'd have a contest for recordings or something. Like what DC did. Randi Miller, an Acura dealership receptionist, won and she's now the voice of the DC metro. Not that it's really relevant since the TR's use speech synthesis I guess.

Do they really? That seems really backward, even dangerous. Imagine there was an emergency, and the driver was making an announcement about what to do only to be cut off by a door chime? Dumb.

Do they really? That seems really backward, even dangerous. Imagine there was an emergency, and the driver was making an announcement about what to do only to be cut off by a door chime? Dumb.

Yeah. I've reported it every few months and still hasn't been fixed, it's been a problem since the first one got here.

I'd imagine, it was an emergency, that the doors wouldn't be closing.

I'd also imagine that if the driver made an announcement, and heard the door chime, they'd simply repeat themself.

I'd assume it safer if the chime over-rode any other announcements.

We'll have to agree to disagree; the human behind the mic in my mind should always have priority over a computer which randomly decides that now it's a good time to remind people that eating and drinking is prohibited, interrupting the operator who's shouting out instructions on how to deal with a fire or other emergency.

We'll have to agree to disagree; the human behind the mic in my mind should always have priority over a computer which randomly decides that now it's a good time to remind people that eating and drinking is prohibited, interrupting the operator who's shouting out instructions on how to deal with a fire or other emergency.
How often have you heard an automatic announcement on the new trains that eating and drinking is prohibited? Because I never have. And I don't see how you have either, given that neither eating nor drinking are prohibited!

I was referring to the door chimes, not automatic announcements. Which automatic announcements have you heard? How often have they conflicted with an announcement from the driver?

Just saying that human being should always surpass automated announcement or chime.

Just saying that human being should always surpass automated announcement or chime.
Announcements, yes. Door chime ... no. I see no emergency situation when the door chime would be sounding; and if if there was, the driver knows anyway.

But I can see lots of cases where the driver announcement is unnecessary (perhaps telling jokes), but the door chime is important.

My bad, I'm thinking of other cities' announcements. I don't live in Toronto so I don't ride the TTC that often...

I asked the TTC about the chime overriding announcements when I first noticed it last year. They said the chime is more important for safety for people on/off the train than transit control delivering a message which would get repeated a few minutes later generally anyway.

Back