News   Apr 16, 2024
 599     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 448     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 808     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

The seventh car would be about 50 feet, compared to the current cars that are about 75 feet. This would then utilize the entire 500 foot platform.

Though I've heard comments that instead the future T1 replacement order would have seven 72-foot cars. Which is reasonable, as if you look in the the latest 15-year BD/Sheppard fleet plan, to service Line 2 and Line you'd need 71 train sets by 2031, so you'd move the 80 TR trainsets (or 76 six-car sets and 6 four-car sets) to that line. Have enough spares for another decade of service increases. And purcahse 85 to 90 new trainsets for Line 1; and whatever other lines/extensions get built in the late 2020s and 2030s (Yonge, DRL, etc.).

I thought that an additional car can be inserted into the trainset to make them longer. Haven't seen the specs of how long the insert car will be.
50 feet.

You are far better off building a new 7 equal car 500 feet long trains than try adding a short car. Also, but doing this, the centre to centre of wheel set be shorter to the point you will reduce the squealing on the curves as well the wear and tear on them.

I said in a posting not to long ago, the TR will replace the T1's around 2025 with new TR2 going to Line 1.

Last edited:
The TRs are about to get even more chatty.

Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 5.41.41 PM.png

Full text: https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...e_Boarding_Announcements_PBA_on_TTC_Subwa.pdf

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 5.41.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 5.41.41 PM.png
    97 KB · Views: 759
well...as long as its not as retarded as the YRT announcements which tells us to hold the rails, stay seated, obey the signs......

$11 million to change the recording on one train as a test?

Is this not a simple case of uploading a new .MP3 or .WAV file and adding a software trigger? What am I missing here?

$11 million to change the recording on one train as a test?

Is this not a simple case of uploading a new .MP3 or .WAV file and adding a software trigger? What am I missing here?
You missed the text after that saying "as well as to supply the materials required to subsequently retrofit all T1, TR, and SRT trains".

So that's to change the recording on one train AND supply materials to modify 848 cars. Surely the big cost is the speakers that will be heard outside the train.

Argh, alright. So about $11k a car and there's hardware involved. Thanks - didn't understand that. Too bad they can't just use existing speakers in the station and have a station-mounted recording be triggered by the approaching train. Simple simple.

Argh, alright. So about $11k a car and there's hardware involved. Thanks - didn't understand that. Too bad they can't just use existing speakers in the station and have a station-mounted recording be triggered by the approaching train. Simple simple.
Exactly...that's quite puzzling. Most subway stations have announcements from the platform. "Such and such train now boarding, Platform 3." Talking vehicles are useful on streetcars or buses when they're in lots of varied outdoor locations.

Maybe they just are wanting to go with a technology/method they're already comfortable with. They know they can do it, so they just want to copy/paste what they're doing on the LFLRV's.

Too bad they can't just use existing speakers in the station and have a station-mounted recording be triggered by the approaching train. Simple simple.

It probably was an option, but it would likely also involve rewiring the PA system in every single station to be able to segregate the appropriate side that the announcement would play on, not to mention tying it in with the signal system to know when to play the announcement. And then, how do you figure out the way to play special announcements, such as one about a train going out of service?

It's probably just easier in the long run to keep everything built into the train, and tie it in to the existing passenger information systems already built into them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I wish the train PAs could somehow buffer Transit Control announcements.

"Attention all customers on Line 1 Yonge University" "BING BONG BUNG PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE DOORS" "more information as it becomes available"

I wish the train PAs could somehow buffer Transit Control announcements.

"Attention all customers on Line 1 Yonge University" "BING BONG BUNG PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE DOORS" "more information as it becomes available"

I wish the door chime could somehow be a guy saying "BING BONG BUNG PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE DOORS".

Back