Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

It might be the turnback/pocket track on the north side of Steeles.

This reminds me. When are they moving the morning rush hours short turn on Line 1 from St. Clair West Station to Glencairn Station? That would allow the Eglinton West Station to get more frequent headways on Line 1 in the morning, at the very least.

subwaytrack.gif

This reminds me. When are they moving the morning rush hours short turn on Line 1 from St. Clair West Station to Glencairn Station? That would allow the Eglinton West Station to get more frequent headways on Line 1 in the morning, at the very least.
It was supposed to happen years ago and saw something for this year, but not waiting for it.

With the opening of the extension 18 months off at the earliest, that is when the change will take place since a new scheduling will have to be done for the whole line.

Now TTC getting extra Fed funds, it could happen before then. Stay tune to TTC News channel

I found this photo of the Spadina extension construction. Three tunnels? Are they building this line with express service in mind?

A65-26_SEM_DSC1513.jpg
This is the crossover track just south of Finch West Station. Notice how the centre track tunnel is rounded. They used SEM to create this tunnel. This method (in larger scale) would be used to construction some of the Crosstown LRT station boxes such as Avenue Rd and Oakwood Station.

https://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/About_th...t_Station_to_Keele_Street/showPhotos.jsp?id=3

I found this photo of the Spadina extension construction. Three tunnels? Are they building this line with express service in mind?

A65-26_SEM_DSC1513.jpg

Since no one has seemed to have gotten the answer right....

The line is built with two tracks, a northbound and a southbound. There will be crossovers located at the south ends of Finch West, Pioneer Village and VMC stations.

That photo is of none of those, however. North of Finch West is located a short section of triple track, which will allow the TTC to turn back and store trains there if necessary. In order to allow for a "high speed" triple track section, there need to be dead ends placed at both ends of it. What we see here is the north end of this structure, looking south, from the northbound track.

For the record, there are also triple-track structures built/being built at the north ends of Downsview and VMC, but neither of them will have track installed in them. The one at VMC is built for any future extensions, and the one at Downsview was built when the station was built, but has had to be shortened due to the alignment of the tunnels to the north and the interface between the new tunnels of the extension and the original tunnels of the station built in 1996.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Since no one has seemed to have gotten the answer right....

The line is built with two tracks, a northbound and a southbound. There will be crossovers located at the south ends of Finch West, Pioneer Village and VMC stations.

In order to allow for a "high speed" triple track section, there need to be dead ends placed at both ends of it. What we see here is the north end of this structure, looking south, from the northbound track.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thanks as always for your info. Dan. I've always wondered about about the dead-ends on middle storage tracks. So how does that allow for high speed as opposed to just a wye connection?

Also, I believe the dead-end is only on the north end of the Finch West triple track section - the south is just a wye to each running track, without a dead-end. This corresponds to the middle storage track between Glencairn and Lawrence West (dead-end at south end, wye at north) and also with the middle track north of St. Clair West (wye at south end, dead end at north). I'm not sure about the one south of York Mills but I believe it is wyes at both ends (like the Islington, Ossington and Chester middle storage tracks). I've always wondered why some had dead-ends and some didn't so I'm looking forward to your response.

One final thing: Any idea why they put the rails in north of Finch in 1974 but didn't at Downsview (in 1996) and aren't now at VMC? Just cost savings?

One final thing: Any idea why they put the rails in north of Finch in 1974 but didn't at Downsview (in 1996) and aren't now at VMC? Just cost savings?

Just a guess, but my guess would be because Downsview is so close to the yard, that those tracks aren't needed for train storage. Finch on the other hand is quite a distance away, so it's easier to store trains there if needed.

If I am not mistaken, the photo of the crossover above can be seen if one visit the Sheppard-Yonge Station on the west side clearly today.

A couple snaps from last week:

Downsview Park
1024px-Downsview_Park_2016.JPG

Finch West
1024px-Finch_West_2016.JPG

I was surprised by how big the structure is for the main building at Finch West. It doesn't really come across in this picture, but it's pretty sizeable.

I got some more pictures, but I'd need to upload them separately. I had already uploaded these to wikipedia anyway.

Does Finch West have to be re-designed with the underground LRT terminus station? Or was that planned all along before the province confirmed the funding last Spring?

Based on past discussion here, both Finch West and Pioneer Village have knockouts for future LRT stations.
Finch LRT Station is already set to be built once construction starts on the Finch Line in 2017.

Smart to have knockout for Pioneer Village Future LRT, as I saw that line back in 2006 that will have a branch line going over to the Hurontario Line at Shoppers World. Another east-west line from end to end.

Finch LRT Station is already set to be built once construction starts on the Finch Line in 2017.

Smart to have knockout for Pioneer Village Future LRT, as I saw that line back in 2006 that will have a branch line going over to the Hurontario Line at Shoppers World. Another east-west line from end to end.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the knockout at Pioneer Village was for the Jane LRT? Maybe it's just me but another E-W LRT on Steeles all the way to Shoppers World seems a bit overkill for the area (at least for now).

Back