Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

The small handful of heritage areas that exist are a tiny oasis of charm in a city of endless suburbia. Kleinburg is probably the prettiest of the three but I never got to visit it yet because it's located in a far flung corner of Vaughan where the primitive YRT transit system is especially useless. As much as I would like to see it, it's much easier to get to Unionville or old Richmond Hill, both of which have more streetlife than anywhere in Vaughan (aside from the parking lot at Canada's Wonderland).

Like I said, Vaughan's a mess! But it's no better or worse than most suburbs developed during the same period, anywhere in North America. Probably a bit better than Brampton, about on par with Mississauaga and not as good as Markham. But that's a all a function of history and timing. Of course it's built form is terrible, on par, compared to Toronto. But cherry-picking a few photos to make the point just doesn't do much. Nor does pointing out there's a lack of transit access to Kleinburg which, yes, is "far-flung." Even I go to Unionville more often :)

At least Tory has good justification to talk about Toronto being "world class", given the international recognition. But that hasn't stopped him from also being honest about the issues such as traffic congestion, transit, and lack of affordable housing. He talks about that all the time.

Yeah, but not in the same context of the Bevilacqua quote you pulled. And yes, Toronto's surface parking is going the way of the dodo now but obviously - historically and economically - Jane/7 is not, King/Bay or whatever. Assuming he wasn't being ironic, TigerMaster made the point - it's all one big urban whole and different parts of it were built in different times and most of it looks more like Vaughan than downtown.
People in Toronto like ordering their stuff from Amazon and having it show up the next day, which is grand. But it's all those industrial fields in Brampton and Missisauaga that make that possible.
I'm amazed, looking at pictures of Toronto even 15 years ago, how much empty parking there was downtown. It changed. and it'll change over time in the 905 too.

I apologize for the lack of substance in my bashing of your fine city. But when Vaughan generates so much hot air about how vibrant and world class it is when it so obviously isn't, while feeling the need to shove the word "metropolitan" down our throats, I can't help but feel compelled to mock it.

Apology accepted :) there is much to mock. But, like Ed Keenan wrote that article a few weeks ago and brought up "The City Above Toronto," thing. It was cutesy in 1984 and now it's embarassing - but the city also ditched it several years ago. So let's make sure we're making fun f them for stuff they deserve to be made fun of.

But other then NYC sports teams all the other things are downtown NYC as well.

Every urban centre has a CENTRE. That's par for the course. But the zoo is in the Bronx, Brooklyn has substantial museums, parks and other arts attractions; even Coney Island. Queens...well, maybe there isn't much there or Staten Island :) the point is that ALL of it is New York City (not to mention the the larger commutershed in Jersey [where both NYC football teams play], Long Island and even Conneticut) and it all ultimately functions as a single hole; just like your torso has the heart, lungs and a bunch of other important stuff, but you still need your arms and legs too.

Last edited:
Like I said, Vaughan's a mess! But it's no better or worse than most suburbs developed during the same period, anywhere in North America. Probably a bit better than Brampton, about on par with Mississauaga and not as good as Markham. But that's a all a function of history and timing.

Brampton is the only city of the three that at least has a nice city centre. But nevertheless, I'd say Vaughan is actually better than Mississauga and Brampton. For one, the roads in Peel region are absolutely horrible if you are a pedestrian. They are generally wider. They are humongous, high speed arterials with crosswalks few and far between. Mississauga in particular has an extra bonus feature that especially sucks, which is that many intersections have those slip lanes or whatever they're called.

Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 1.41.07 PM.png

And then you have intersection such as this one where the word cringe-worthy doesn't even begin to describe.

Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 1.42.22 PM.png

By the way, Bloor St is also in Toronto, and what a sad contrast between the two. There was a time when we used to build great neighbourhoods. Not anymore.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 1.41.07 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 1.41.07 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,088
  • Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 1.42.22 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 1.42.22 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,096
I'd argue that we're building great neighbourhoods again with Canary District, West Don Lands, etc...
But then you have neighborhoods like Humber Bay which is one of the worst recently planned neighborhoods. I agree with Canary Districts and West Don Lands but that's in large part because they have a vision set by Waterfront Toronto. If it wasnt for Waterfront Toronto we'd have something dramatically worse.

But this Vaughan "Corporate Metropolitan Centre" or whatever you want to call it, is really in it's own little stratosphere. I honestly don't even know what to make of it.

I'd argue that we're building great neighbourhoods again with Canary District, West Don Lands, etc...

But these places are in downtown, so of course it's much better planned and yet I think it still could have been better. I hate to keep being negative but some of the architecture - George Brown and Corus Quay in particular look like something that's better off in a Markham business park.

Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 6.37.05 PM.png

By biggest pet peeve, something which @Torontovibe often talks about is that so many new buildings have a generic glass wall at street level without any design details, contrast or colour. Then they put in a bank, nail salon, dentist's office or chain retail, and repeat the same generic design over and over again all over downtown. I fear that we're starting to reach the point where Scarborough strip malls will have more interesting storefronts and retail options than a lot of places in downtown, including new neighbourhoods like West Don Lands that you mention.

Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 7.01.37 PM.png

So when I say that we don't build great neighbourhoods like we used to, most new construction is either suburban development using the same terrible build form that's been going on for decades, or what is supposed to be urban might be well planned but is not nearly as warm and interesting as the old streetcar neighbourhoods that everyone loves.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 6.37.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 6.37.05 PM.png
    862.3 KB · Views: 1,067
  • Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 7.01.37 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 7.01.37 PM.png
    823.8 KB · Views: 1,024

I apologize for the lack of substance in my bashing of your fine city. But when Vaughan generates so much hot air about how vibrant and world class it is when it so obviously isn't, while feeling the need to shove the word "metropolitan" down our throats, I can't help but feel compelled to mock it.

At least we are a long way away from "The City above Toronto"

It's good to have aspirations rather than stay in the same black hole practices.

Even the connection of the line to Downsview Station?

The site is also updating the photo gallery more frequently now.

Last edited:
http://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/About_the_Project/Photo_Gallery/Finch_West_Station/showPhotos.jsp?id=5

does anyone know why theyre talking about edge doors? is this to future proof the station?

The stations were all originally designed with them in mind. They were cut as a cost-saving exercise (and at least one of the stations needed some significant redesigning to deal with it).

Seeing as how the TTC has put them in as a below-the-line item in their capital budget, you will start to see more and more mention of them in TTC documentation, as a means to try and drum up more interest in them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

From the latest York Region Rapid Transit Corporation Quarterly Report:
  • VMC Canopy at Jane St. – fabrication of the structure continues; start of construction works delayed until the hand-over of the area – now targeted for May 20th
- With the delay of the hand-over of the area from TYSSE, the completion date of the canopy will not be available for service until after the opening of the subway (i.e late Q1 to early Q2 2018). As a result, York Region Transit will be required to put an interim operations plan in place to allow passengers to transfer to the subway
- The YRT/Viva BRT Concourse – the direct pedestrian access between the VMC Subway Station and VMC-Spadina Station at Highway 7 and west of Jane Street is progressing – to-date completion at over 50%
- Concrete wall poured – preparation of the site (rebar, forming, embedded conduits) for pour of concrete roof slab this May​

I found this photo of the Spadina extension construction. Three tunnels? Are they building this line with express service in mind?

A65-26_SEM_DSC1513.jpg

Back