Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

With all the buses coming into the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station, I'm sure that some passengers will want to disembark before entering the station. Especially if they are not boarding the trains but want to go into one of the many, many (insert laughter here) office buildings or employment centres close by.

Maybe. The Highway 407 GO routes have a fair amount of combined potential. I've seen estimates at the 10k mark for peak hour ridership in 2031 with a very high %age of those transferring to the Spadina line; a little over 1 double-decker bus per minute, so it's manageable.

It's an MTO project which is why it's kinda flying under the radar:
http://www.407transitway.com/kennedyToBrock/projectBackground.html

501 Zum Queen route from Brampton also has substantial growth potential over a 10 year period if some kind of fare cooperation occurs to reduce the TTC hit.

Both were intended to terminate at this subway station and no longer on York University property; this plan may have changed.

So, in the short-term, no, but it could be relatively busy in a decade.

Zum riders won't have to board at this station. They would use the transferway in front of VMC station.

as noted above....1/2 the Zum buses will be at VMC and 1/2 will be at 407.....a very strange decision but one that appears to have been made.

501 is providing a more "local" service on Highway 7 - should it not serve VMC Station, seeing as how that will be the closest one?

501A provides more long-distance service and travels along Highway 407 to get to the subway - therefore Highway 407 Station is the closest. Why would you have it go to another station and thus take longer to get to the subway?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

501 is providing a more "local" service on Highway 7 - should it not serve VMC Station, seeing as how that will be the closest one?

501A provides more long-distance service and travels along Highway 407 to get to the subway - therefore Highway 407 Station is the closest. Why would you have it go to another station and thus take longer to get to the subway?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
The problem the split station thing produces is it affects the frequencies for people going home. Let's say someone is going home on the subway....if the buses both were at the same station they would just go to that station and get the benefit of both buses and would likely just take the first bus ....now they will have to either be timing their arrival at the subway station with the next available bus or just face 1/2 the frequencies they currently get.

The problem the split station thing produces is it affects the frequencies for people going home. Let's say someone is going home on the subway....if the buses both were at the same station they would just go to that station and get the benefit of both buses and would likely just take the first bus ....now they will have to either be timing their arrival at the subway station with the next available bus or just face 1/2 the frequencies they currently get.

501 currently has 7.5 minute service along the combined portion of the route, 15 minutes to each terminal. Therefore passengers on average would have a 7.5 minute wait for their bus. not that big of a deal.

501 currently has 7.5 minute service along the combined portion of the route, 15 minutes to each terminal. Therefore passengers on average would have a 7.5 minute wait for their bus. not that big of a deal.

So let's say, once everything is built, that I am a York U student going home to Brampton. I hop on the northbound subway. While riding the subway, I look at the time and make an educated guess that if I end my trip at 407 I will be on the 501A two minutes later. But when I get off at 407 I unexpectedly find a mass congestion of people that slows me down. By the time I get to the bus terminal, behold, the 501A is already rolling away. Great. Now I regret not deciding to go to VMC and my dilemma now is whether to take the next subway to VMC and hope to catch the next 501 or stay and wait 14 minutes for the next 501A.

That is TOareaFan's point.

My answer to this dilemma is to stay and take the 501A because it is express and will still get me home faster than an earlier 501. (Plus avoid paying another subway fare.)

And that leads me to the hint of why Brampton Transit chose these two different termini. Within Vaughan, 501 acts just like Viva on Hwy 7, giving local users the benefit of service every 7.5 minutes. None of these local users would need to stop at 407 when the bus already has run through the VMC. West of Hwy 50, both the 501 and 501A run the same route providing 7.5 minute service there. The only purpose of the 501A is to get Bramptonites (Bramptonians?) to the TTC subway as quick as possible, whereas the purpose of the 501 is to get Bramptonites to local destinations in Vaughan (plus give Vaughanites 7.5 minute local BRT).

I just don't understand why the more "local" 501 could not continue, what, 1km south to the 407 station...that's all it would take....we are not talking about two different subway stations that serve two different "markets" that BT is trying to cover with limited resources.

We are talking about two subway stations that are about 1km apart and both represent a shortening of the route as compared to the current terminus at York U.

It would make more sense to run both branches down to Steeles West/PV so riders attending York could walk to/from that station and avoid having to pay a double fare.

It would make more sense to run both branches down to Steeles West/PV so riders attending York could walk to/from that station and avoid having to pay a double fare.
I honestly don't care which station they go to (although I do understand the rationale behind 407 for the expressness of the express 501A) but pick one and have both go to the same one.

Hopefully we can have fare integration by the time this thing opens, so the buses can be planned based on what's best for the network instead of having to work around asinine fare rules.

Hopefully we can have fare integration by the time this thing opens, so the buses can be planned based on what's best for the network instead of having to work around asinine fare rules.
Sorry to ask this but the bolded phrase gets thrown around to mean different things by different people.

In this instance do you envision it to mean a student from Brampton, having paid to get on their Zum bus, would then get on the subway without any additional fare?

Sorry to ask this but the bolded phrase gets thrown around to mean different things by different people.

In this instance do you envision it to mean a student from Brampton, having paid to get on their Zum bus, would then get on the subway without any additional fare?

fare integration does not mean flat fare for the region. I will predict a ride from VMC to downtown will not cost $3, probably somewhere around $5, then plus the transfer at zum will cost another 0.5~1.

I envision it to mean a scenario where you won't have short trips be penalized just because they cross the imaginary line that is the Toronto city border.

Whatever the fare integration solution ends up being, it can't be one where Brampton Transit is pressured to move its bus terminal a few hundred metres to the south for fare reasons.

Finch West station bus terminal building. Taken Saturday:

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2 MB · Views: 979

Back