News   Apr 25, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

I bet Rob Ford's $4.2 billion 7-stop Sheppard subway extension to Scarborough Centre is looking mighty good in hindsight compared to the $4.2 billion 1-stop Bloor-Danforth subway extension to Scarborough Centre right about now.
Given how the cost of SSE has exploded, it's hard to make true apples to apples comparison between any projects now, but on a station cost alone it doesn't seem like 7 subway stops + tunnel can be done for $4.2bn in 2016 dollars, especially if a woodlot Glenn de Baeremaeker wants as a different part of his political legacy is in the way.

Hooking up Sheppard to the Vaughan extension doesn't actually need lengthening of Sheppard stations! 4-car trains can run up to York U / Vaughan just fine.
TTC doesn't seem to want to run 4 car length on 6 car lines, historically.

They could do the inverse. Run 6 car trains on a 4 car-station Sheppard. The front and last car of each train does not open doors for Sheppard.

Also, how much money is required to convert the station from 4 car to 6 car - likely 10's of millions and not hundreds.

They could do the inverse. Run 6 car trains on a 4 car-station Sheppard. The front and last car of each train does not open doors for Sheppard.

Also, how much money is required to convert the station from 4 car to 6 car - likely 10's of millions and not hundreds.
The station boxes are roughed in to 6 car length as I understand it, so it's probably lights, tiles and so forth. Hopefully single digit millions at most

Sheppard subway extension will not happen until after both the DRL / Don Mills subway and the Yonge North subway are funded and are under construction.
That's why a West extension is a better choice.

With interlining north, it creates a 14km line from Don Mills to Vaughan.
With interlining south, it creates a 30+km line to downtown, that allows passengers from Don Mills to stay on the line and not crowd the Yonge line - another means of relieving the Yonge line (probably just as successful for the money as the DRL short)

Going east, there are still many questions:
When DRL long is completed to Seneca, a SELRT could drop passengers off to transfer to either a north-south, or westbound line.
It could be extended to Agincourt and terminate at the GO-RER.
It could go to STC, or maybe to McCowan/Sheppard, but we still have no idea which way the B-D extension is going.

The option of converting Sheppard to LRT would definition add more passengers to the Yonge line. It would only be feasible if TTC refuses to interline. Then it would still have to be connected in the West to the Spadina leg of Line 1 and to FWLRT.

The problem with this discussion is that even if TTC has what it and Council (and Richmond Hill) consider valid operational reasons not to shove the Sheppard into the Spadina line in a way the extension wasn't designed for, the posts will still go on and on and on here even after the Sheppard Line is closed and turned into the world's longest underground nightclub (to soak up demand from King West condoization)

Was the Spadina extension on the subway planned when built to St. George?
I imagine the Wye would not have been done if they knew the line was was going to go north of Bloor in the future.
I think they looked at the situation, and decided to do it.
Same thing with Sheppard, regardless of what was planned, what is the best solution looking at things now.
I suggest interlining is best. It would still be viable if only the extension to Downsview is done. Without interlining, even that would be too short and it would have to be extended from at least STC to Downsview, and it would still need a connection to the Wilson train yard.

The Allen Road had already been finished (as finished as it ever got) by the time the subway was being extended past St. George. The subway-in-median was a copy of Chicago's Blue Line in the median of the Eisenhower Expressway

The Allen Road had already been finished (as finished as it ever got) by the time the subway was being extended past St. George. The subway-in-median was a copy of Chicago's Blue Line in the median of the Eisenhower Expressway
It is also copy of Chicago's Red Line in the median of the Dan Ryan Expressway.

The Spadina subway's alignment was chosen because of the planned Spadina Expressway. Otherwise, it likely would have gone up Bathurst.
wrong - it was too close to Bathurst and the proposal was a line hitting Exhibition and then going up Dufferin. The stops on Spadina other than Eglinton West are closer to Dufferin anyways right now

Was the Spadina extension on the subway planned when built to St. George?
I imagine the Wye would not have been done if they knew the line was was going to go north of Bloor in the future.
I think they looked at the situation, and decided to do it.
Same thing with Sheppard, regardless of what was planned, what is the best solution looking at things now.
I suggest interlining is best. It would still be viable if only the extension to Downsview is done. Without interlining, even that would be too short and it would have to be extended from at least STC to Downsview, and it would still need a connection to the Wilson train yard.

Interlining would be possible after Sheppard West station (you'd miss the station), meaning your transfer point would be the new Downsview. But does that mean that you have just a Bathurst station between Yonge and the Barrie line?

If there is interlining, then there is no transfer.

The "Sheppard West" station would be just East of Dufferin/Allen and perpendicular to (and one level lower than) the existing station. There would be a walkway connection, that would likely get little use unless emergency short turns are inplace. All the ramps to connect Sheppard with Spadina would occur West of Dufferin/Allen. The north interline joins in just before the GO interchange station. The south interline joins in just North Wilson station.

There would likely be a station at Senlac. From the current termini termini Webleck, it would be cut-and-cover to the Don River Bridge. As long as there's an open cut, may as well put in a station. There would of course be a bridge over the Don River.

There would also be a cut-and-cover portion from the bridge towards Bathurst. This makes a Bathurst station another logical addition. I would also suggest that a TBM is not needed and shallow cut-and-cover would be used for the +/-1.5km from Bathurst to Sheppard West Station.

Before writing off the viability of a Faywood Station, one ought to take note of the development in the area:

See? Far more than near Senlac. Either Sheppard West is expanded as a 5 station project (including an infill at Willowdale) or why even bother.

Back