News   Apr 25, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 977     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

I am all for upzoning each of those nodes.

However, I don't see why STC would fall much behind the other two. Is the location so much less convenient? At most, the property prices at STC would be slightly lower than say at Agincourt, but it still would sell well.

Yes - the location is less convenient (whether by transit or car to employment hubs like the 905 and west..in rush hour it really adds up), and it's disconnected from most of Scarborough's population centres. On two sides it's adjacent to an industrial park. It has no direct access to a GO RER stop. Most of it is also a barren wasteland of parking lots. There's no real urban fabric so to speak of. SSC isn't an area you want to walk around. At least Agincourt and Kennedy&Eg are walkable, even if the public realm leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
Maybe a third to ask what past of the City, or GTA each poster is from? I think it plays a role in the results and its interesting to know what area of the City are represented here

Took me some time to think how to word it. Finally, I came up with this poll:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...rough-subways-depend-on-where-you-live.27699/

IMO, this way it will be more interesting than merely finding out how many residents from each part of the city take interest in this thread ..

I've always contended that Kennedy/Eglinton was a natural location for SCC. It would be Scarborough's "gateway" with Crosstown LRT, GO RER and Line 2. The area is also much better suited for an urban and walkable community.

I don't get this. Kennedy and Eglinton is so far south. STC, like it or not, is close to the actual geographic center of Scarborough.

I don't get this. Kennedy and Eglinton is so far south. STC, like it or not, is close to the actual geographic center of Scarborough.

Okay? Downtown Toronto isn't anywhere near Toronto's geographic centre of Yonge and Lawrence. Being at the geographic centre isn't worth anything, if people can't travel there in the first place. What matters is the quality of transport to that area.

Eglinton and Kennedy has numerous excellent transport options. Scarborough Centre has terrible transport options in comparison.

Scarborough likes a city centre approach because they can't envision transit working any other way then a hub and spoke. If it's not broke don't fix it. Too bad their transit is broke as #@!$

The only thing STC has over Eglinton/Kennedy, in terms of accessibility, is Highway 401, which is antithetical to our efforts to built a modern and walkable community there.

Eglinton, from Kennedy east to Kingston, is already the densest area of Scarborough, and one of the densest areas in Toronto. This density will only grow with Crosstown East LRT and RER coming to the area. If not for the development restrictions here, this place likely would've developed similarly to North York Centre

Scarborough likes a city centre approach because they can't envision transit working any other way then a hub and spoke. If it's not broke don't fix it. Too bad their transit is broke as #@!$

it's not as broke as you might think. They have many frequent bus routes and high transit ridership %, especially compared to Markham in the north or Durham region in the east.

However, describing their transit as #@!$ certainly helps foster a city-wide cooperation and bring them on-board with projects like the Relief line :)

The only thing STC has over Eglinton/Kennedy, in terms of accessibility, is Highway 401, which is antithetical to our efforts to built a modern and walkable community there.

Eglinton, from Kennedy east to Kingston, is already the densest area of Scarborough, and one of the densest areas in Toronto. This density will only grow with Crosstown East LRT and RER coming to the area. If not for the development restrictions here, this place likely would've developed similarly to North York Centre

Not sure why it should be Eglinton/Kennedy vs STC. If there is demand, why not allow both areas develop in parallel.

Not sure why it should be Eglinton/Kennedy vs STC. If there is demand, why not allow both areas develop in parallel.
I think because people like to view things as absolutes. It's either one or the other. It's also easier for politics. Of course, I don't believe in that mindset though.

Ummm, when did I say STC had to be wiped off the face of the earth, or that development shouldn't be permitted there. All I'm saying is that Eglinton/Kennedy is better suited for the development we're trying to attracts. Both nodes can coexist fine for all of eternity.

Ummm, when did I say STC had to be wiped off the face of the earth, or that development shouldn't be permitted there. All I'm saying is that Eglinton/Kennedy is better suited for the development we're trying to attracts. Both nodes can coexist fine for all of eternity.
I wasn't directing my comment towards you, I'm just pointing out one of the people's views.

it's not as broke as you might think. They have many frequent bus routes and high transit ridership %, especially compared to Markham in the north or Durham region in the east.

However, describing their transit as #@!$ certainly helps foster a city-wide cooperation and bring them on-board with projects like the Relief line :)
I'm not a politician or a marketer. It isn't my job to make sure Scarboroughs feelings aren't hurt because they perceive their transit plight as being unfair.

Because the city has artificially suppressed development at kennedy station to try to boost STC development.

I'd gladly welcome them lifting their bans so that the public could decide where theywant tolive

Reactions: DB9
Because the city has artificially suppressed development at kennedy station to try to boost STC development.

I'd gladly welcome them lifting their bans so that the public could decide where theywant tolive
Watch that area become North York Centre immediately after the restrictions are removed (not saying that's bad). :p

Back