News   Apr 24, 2024
 914     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 608     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

I have never agreed with tolls but if they have to, they should make the 905 pay.

What they could do is toll the DVP/Gardiner/Allen BUT allow people in the city of Toronto to buy, for example, a token year-long toll pass for say $50. It would raise revenue but the cost of the tolls for Torontonians would be next to nothing with the pass but the toll pass would not be available to people outside the city. In other words Torontonians would pay $50 for a year long unlimited toll travel while people outside the city would get hit with , for example, $3 every time they use the DVP/Gardiner/Allen. It's also an easy political maneuver as Tory can say he is only bringing in negligible tolls for Torontonians and making the 905/Ontarians pay for Toronto infrastructure.

Tory and councillors would love it as they rake in gobs of money from the 905 and yet wouldn't hurt him at the polls.

The great thing as well is that the 905 couldn't retaliate because the Gardiner becomes the QEW before it hits Miss and the DVP becomes the 404 before it hits Markham hence they are provincial roads.

Last edited:
I have never agreed with tolls but if they have to, they should make the 905 pay.

What they could do is toll the DVP/Gardiner/Allen BUT allow people in the city of Toronto to buy, for example, a token year-long toll pass for say $50. It would raise revenue but the cost of the tolls for Torontonians would be next to nothing with the pass but the toll pass would not be available to people outside the city. In other words Torontonians would pay $50 for a year long unlimited toll travel while people outside the city would get hit with , for example, $3 every time they use the DVP/Gardiner/Allen. It's also an easy political maneuver as Tory can say he is only bringing in negligible tolls for Torontonians and making the 905/Ontarians pay for Toronto infrastructure.

Tory and councillors would love it as they rake in gobs of money from the 905 and yet wouldn't hurt him at the polls.

The great thing as well is that the 905 couldn't retaliate because the Gardiner becomes the QEW before it hits Miss and the DVP becomes the 404 before it hits Markham hence they are provincial roads.

Be careful. Office business has been setting up office along the QEW at a decent rate and tolling these commuters only adds incentive and desire to have more office buildings elsewhere in the GTA. Downtown Toronto will always be #1 but we should still be making it easier for people to come and spend their money here and we should also be grateful because that what makes Toronto desirable . The 905 is about to get hit with an HOV tax. A DVP/Gardiner tax will do nothing but create some political division. The divisive Political chaos is something Toronto has already achieved internally & should already be weary about.

Im mildly OK with tolls if we "have to" because no matter we have to start to do something. Although these tolls may be a decent cash grab for the City and Province but may do little to obtain the necessary capital costs to build transit. But if our Provincial and Municipal governments just raised the property taxes accordingly with the rate required to fund transit we would have to tax in such a tacky way that actual makes others think twice.

Last edited:
Wonder why people are still coming into central London, England, even with their congestion fee.

See link.

The Congestion Charge is an £11.50 daily charge for driving a vehicle within the charging zone between 07:00 and 18:00, Monday to Friday. The easiest way to pay the charge is by registering for Congestion Charge Auto Pay. There are a range of exemptions and discounts available to certain vehicles and individuals.

At the current exchange rate, that £11.50 comes out at $19.81.

congestion-charge-zone-map.gif

Wonder why people are still coming into central London, England, even with their congestion fee.

See link.

At the current exchange rate, that £11.50 comes out at $19.81.

congestion-charge-zone-map.gif

Toronto is not like London nor is it even comparable as major Tourist destination to that can afford to act like a Diva. Its needs to keep itself more accepting to outsiders and as accessible as possible. In London outside the core commuters have many more commuting options. MANY more.

Like I said Toronto will still be number 1 in the Ontario. But be careful. Raising property taxes at both levels will be much more effective IMO once the initial shock wears off ... Unless the goal is to deter people out of the core... Tolls are tacky, dividing, costly to manage and just seems last ditch desperate.

Id rather have tax on one bill than be taxed every time I try to move & have to witness a class separation for commuters who can use certain highway and roads to the main job areas. That just seems unjust. Basically we are making special roads & lanes for the wealthy. Which may seem like a small problem but is not good Politically for the future in this day and age. But whatever... Someone needs balls to do something with taxes so it is what it is

Last edited:
Toronto is not like London nor is it even comparable as major Tourist destination to that can afford to act like a Diva. Its needs to keep itself more accepting to outsiders and as accessible as possible. In London outside the core commuters have many more commuting options. MANY more.

Like I said Toronto will still be number 1 in the Ontario. But be careful. Raising property taxes at both levels will be much more effective IMO once the initial shock wears off ... Unless the goal is to deter people out of the core... Tolls are tacky, dividing, costly to manage and just seems last ditch desperate.

Id rather have tax on one bill than be taxed every time I try to move & have to witness a class separation for commuters who can use certain highway and roads to the main job areas. That just seems unjust. Basically we are making special roads & lanes for the wealthy. Which may seem like a small problem but is not good Politically for the future in this day and age. But whatever... Someone needs balls to do something with taxes so it is what it is

more taxes huh?
"Canada is 5th most taxed country in terms of wages. "

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26327114
and http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/2...d-on-food-clothing-and-shelter-combined-study

Last edited:
I don't recall ever seeing 3-car trains. I only saw 6-car trains, even in the 1980s. Have you seen 3-car trains? I didn't ride it that often, living near the Orange line.
I thought they were 9-car trains like the other lines - to tell the truth, I haven't ridden it in years though - only ridden the Green and Orange lines recently. Ridership is still low enough that they run 6-car trains?

Here's the proof

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_bleue_(métro_de_Montréal)
Parce qu’elle est peu achalandée, la STCUM n'exploita d’abord la ligne que les jours ouvrables de 5 h 30 à 19 h 30 et n'y faisait circuler que des rames de 3 voitures[6]. Les étudiants de l'Université de Montréal, source principale de la clientèle, obtiendront l'extension de l'heure de fermeture à 23 h 10 puis à 0 h 15 en 2002[7].

Translation
Because it is not very busy, the STCUM first operated the line only on working days from 5:30 am to 7:30 pm and only 3-car trains were used. Students at the Université de Montréal, the main source of the clientele, will be granted the extension of the closing time at 11:10 pm and then at 0:15 in 2002

Later the blue line would be open everyday but closed at 11:15pm. Then they added the 6 car train only during rush hours only.

Montreal did it right. They built a line they deemed necessary, knowing the ridership would be low and managed it accordingly and adjusting the service as ridership increased. Now, it closes as late as the other lines and have the 6 car train set permanently.

That's exactly how the TTC should have managed the Sheppard line, even better if it was build as plan from the beginning from STC to Downsview. The Sheppard Bus off-peak are quite fast and could have handled the initial ridership until the line became busier over time. Why the last train leaves Sheppard-Yonge at 2am is a bizarre mystery to me.

If you take politics out of it, the Blue line is build through a dense residential area - probably denser than the Danforth. The Sheppard line goes through suburbia - and not only suburbia, but suburbia with quite big yards. There's a bit of density right along Sheppard - but not enough.

Denser than Danforth? If that was true, the blue line would have add 9 car trains from the get go. The blue, even fully built had low ridership for years. There are pockets of density along the blue line (mainly St-Michel to Jean-Talon station, Parc Extension and Cotes-des-neiges) but there are less denser stations on the line, the same could be said for the Sheppard line where stations such as Don Mills and Sheppard-Yonge have way more density than most of the blue line. As for growth, Sheppard is growing way faster than the blue line.

It you take politics out of it, the Sheppard ridership projects for the full subway - don't support full subway ANYWHERE on the route, with a peak ridership well below 10,000 at Yonge - let alone at the outer edges at STC and Sheppard West station, where it becomes embarrassing even compared to the current ridership.

http://sheppardsubway.com/docs/2-Sheppard Corridor Tornto City Planning Expert Panel report- Feb 24-2014.pdf
According to this study, the ridership is projected to be at 12,500 approaching Yonge at peak by 2031 if the line was completed. Also, all the growth indicators used states that the subway has double and in some cases triple the potential that an LRT would bring to the corridor. Meaning that it does pass the 10,000 threshold.

LRT was studied as an alternative in Montreal for the Metro extension to Anjou. The province felt it would be cheaper and more affordable. This is the original study:
http://www.bv.transports.gouv.qc.ca/mono/1169035.pdf
  • They define Tramway=TTC Streetcar (they also put Paris Tramway here as streetcars, not LRT)
  • Tram-Train=LRT
Scenario
  • ROW
  • Priority light
  • 1 lane each direction for cars
  • Restrictive parking
  • Minimizing the transfer between Metro and LRT at St-Michel
  • Cancelling bus 141
  • 12 LRT Stations
Conclusions:
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/m...etude-demolit-loption-du-train-de-surface.php
"The comparative analysis carried out at this stage makes it possible to exclude the concepts of the tram-train and the SRB," says the document. It also shows that the tramway is much less efficient than the metro in the blue line corridor [between Saint-Michel and Anjou] and is therefore a very different project that can not meet the objectives set for the extension of the metro.

" The tram-train is not retained at the end of the analysis because it is impossible for it to reach adequate speeds in an urban environment. This option "therefore offers no added value in relation to the tramway". The SRB is also excluded because its capacity is too low to meet demand. It also presents "insertion challenges" that are more important than the tramway, since a dedicated track should be built on Jean-Talon boulevard, an artery that crosses several commercial zones. A tramway would be much less efficient than an underground subway. The capacity of the rolling stock would be four times lower than that of a metro train. The journey time between Anjou and the station Saint-Michel would be three times longer, 23 minutes instead of eight. "The tramway in the Jean-Talon corridor represents a loss of at least 50 to 70% of the time savings generated by the metro extension, a loss of at least 45 to 60% of the traffic generated by the extension of the Metro, a significant loss of the modal shift generated by the metro extension. "

The LRT ended up scoring less than the streetcar as said in page 34:
The higher speeds of the tram-train (LRT) constitute an advantage in a suburban area which can not be used in the study corridor (urban environment). In the project context, this mode offers no added value compared to the tramway and is not appropriate to the needs.

So Montreal clearly defines Jean-Talon street as "urban" where Toronto defines Sheppard Avenue East as "suburban".

They dismiss LRT right from the beginning. My analysis of what they are saying is that LRT at grade (even in it's own ROW) in an urban environment doesn't have added value when it's so similar to a streetcar. (scoring card) The subway already being on the same corridor must have played a huge factor as well.

I thought it would be interested to see how other cities thinks in regards to similar scenarios

Last edited:
Here's the proof

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_bleue_(métro_de_Montréal)
Parce qu’elle est peu achalandée, la STCUM n'exploita d’abord la ligne que les jours ouvrables de 5 h 30 à 19 h 30 et n'y faisait circuler que des rames de 3 voitures[6]. Les étudiants de l'Université de Montréal, source principale de la clientèle, obtiendront l'extension de l'heure de fermeture à 23 h 10 puis à 0 h 15 en 2002[7].
I'm not sure Wikipedia is proof of anything. That article references "Benoît Clairoux, Le Métro de Montréal 35 ans déjà, " - difficult to check. I don't recall 3-car trains. I think this is an error, unless this was right when it first opened, and didn't get all the way to Snowdon - I didn't ride it until it got to Snowdon in the late 1980s. And then it was running short 6-car trains. Though somewhere else, I'm seeing that they run 3-car late at night. When have you seen 3-car trains there?

Now, it closes as late as the other lines and have the 6 car train set permanently.
Why would they only run short 6-car trains now? I thought I'd heard they were full-length now.

That's exactly how the TTC should have managed the Sheppard line, even better if it was build as plan from the beginning from STC to Downsview. The Sheppard Bus off-peak are quite fast and could have handled the initial ridership until the line became busier over time. Why the last train leaves Sheppard-Yonge at 2am is a bizarre mystery to me.

OTE="Cobra, post: 1201396, member: 62320"]http://sheppardsubway.com/docs/2-Sheppard Corridor Tornto City Planning Expert Panel report- Feb 24-2014.pdf
According to this study, the ridership is projected to be at 12,500 approaching Yonge at peak by 2031 if the line was completed. Also, all the growth indicators used states that the subway has double and in some cases triple the potential that an LRT would bring to the corridor. Meaning that it does pass the 10,000 threshold.[/quote]I've tried to download that, but it's coming in awfully slow. I'm not familiar with this study. 2014? Who did it?

LRT was studied as an alternative in Montreal for the Metro extension to Anjou.
Everything has been studied in Montreal. To death. It's even worse than Toronto - at least since Drapeau left office.

I'm not sure Wikipedia is proof of anything. That article references "Benoît Clairoux, Le Métro de Montréal 35 ans déjà, " - difficult to check. I don't recall 3-car trains. I think this is an error, unless this was right when it first opened, and didn't get all the way to Snowdon - I didn't ride it until it got to Snowdon in the late 1980s. And then it was running short 6-car trains. Though somewhere else, I'm seeing that they run 3-car late at night. When have you seen 3-car trains there?
I grew up in St-Michel, they used to run those sets off peak only. I also lived at Snowdon so I know what I'm talking about

Why would they only run short 6-car trains now? I thought I'd heard they were full-length now.
Because the blue line ridership is still well below the other lines in comparison, but that doesn't mean that it's obsolete, same for Sheppard or even other lines in other networks around the world.

I grew up in St-Michel, they used to run those sets off peak only. I also lived at Snowdon so I know what I'm talking about
Okay, fair enough - I hadn't realised demand was so low. Are you sure they aren't running 9-cars now?

As for Sheppard - that document finally opened. Not sure why I haven't seen that before.

Those 2011 are all new to me - though are in line with what I've seen elsewhere. Except the last column, which gives your 12,500 - which is not referenced to a report. And also notes that "Subway operating speed increased to 36 km/hr from 30 km/hr and headways reduced to 3 minutes from 5.5 minutes". Not sure how they do that .... speed up the train.

The Downsview to STC column is most reasonable. And it peaks at 9,500 at Yonge. But it's only 4,800 at Consumers (presumably westbound in AM peak). I keep saying that an extension to Victoria Park is not unreasonable, if they keep subway. It's east of Victoria Park and west of Yonge that they don't provide any numbers. And they get pathetic ... in the 2,000 to 3,000 range. And that's most of what still needs to be built.

Also these numbers assume there's only one subway from Scarborough Centre (it's based on the Eglinton line EA). Presumably an express subway to Kennedy is going to sap some ridership (though perhaps not much, given there's not much in the first place!

Development appears to be central to John Tory’s transit plans: Keenan
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/03/13/development-appears-to-be-central-to-john-torys-transit-plans-keenan.html

The case for the Scarborough subway extension: Keenan

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-the-scarborough-subway-extension-keenan.html

Tory seems to have a "development centric" approach to transit. If he use that argument as the main reason then the 12,500 figure as second, he might be able to get his way with council. Those growth figures are very compelling and very hard to ignore.

Development appears to be central to John Tory’s transit plans: Keenan
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/03/13/development-appears-to-be-central-to-john-torys-transit-plans-keenan.html

The case for the Scarborough subway extension: Keenan

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-the-scarborough-subway-extension-keenan.html

Tory seems to have a "development centric" approach to transit. If he use that argument as the main reason then the 12,500 figure as second, he might be able to get his way with council. Those growth figures are very compelling and very hard to ignore.

One can't help but wonder how much more useful John Tory's time would be spent pushing for an alignment in the SRT corridor instead of a brand new alignment up McCowan where only one station is possible at this point. Do we really need GO stations at Lawrence East and Ellesmere with 15 minute frequencies at best, per the GO RER/SmartTrack plan, or can we not apply the cost savings from an at-grade subway extension to build other projects through Scarborough like Sheppard subway to Agincourt, BD from STC to Malvern via Centennial College or Eglinton-Crosstown to UTSC instead? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Tory needs to put his ego aside, admit SmartTrack is a waste of billions of dollars and do what's in Scarborough's, and by proxy the City/region's, best interest.

One can't help but wonder how much more useful John Tory's time would be spent pushing for an alignment in the SRT corridor instead of a brand new alignment up McCowan where only one station is possible at this point. Do we really need GO stations at Lawrence East and Ellesmere with 15 minute frequencies at best, per the GO RER/SmartTrack plan, or can we not apply the cost savings from an at-grade subway extension to build other projects through Scarborough like Sheppard subway to Agincourt, BD from STC to Malvern via Centennial College or Eglinton-Crosstown to UTSC instead? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Tory needs to put his ego aside, admit SmartTrack is a waste of billions of dollars and do what's in Scarborough's, and by proxy the City/region's, best interest.
There is no SmartTrack. It's a marketing gimmick. It's GO RER with a few more stops in Toronto. That's all. I agree that the proposed stops on the Stoufville GO RER line at Lawrence and Ellesmere as not needed. The location is not ideal and they had very poor ridership as RT stations. What would be more useful is to cut those stations from GO RER/aka SmartTrack east and add a station at Lawrence on the BD extension. If we are already building a tunnel, for safety reasons and for the hospital there a station would be useful. That would have been a better compromise.

Back to Sheppard, given the lack of support politically for Sheppard, the best they can hope for is a BRT at this point. The LRT is dead and not going to happen. I suspect if the Tories win they may push for a subway extension but unless they provide funds it wont go anywhere. Maybe they could get funds to extend Sheppard east to Agincourt station as there is a large condo development planned just south of there and it would be deemed a subway for Scarborough, plus it offers a network connectivity advantage with the GO RER/SmartTrack. It also would serve the Consumers road business area, which could densify nicely with a station at Vic Park/Sheppard.

Back