News   Apr 25, 2024
 233     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

I forgot why I'd come to this thread in the first place. :p

So how about Toronto sells $1500 passes for the Sheppard Extension that allow people to use the line as much as they like over the next 30 years? Put a $1 surcharge on the P3 extension(s) and you are a good way to paying for the concrete and steel.

GO is good for 9-5 commuters because that's what it was started as 60 years ago. They are buying and building track as fast as they can afford, but after we lost the 90s with Harris, it's going to be 2025 before we see real rail transit in the region.
Good points!

Though GO started almost 45 years ago ... and the off-peak Lakeshore schedule is the same now, as it is back in 1968 as far as I understand it, down to the minute of the departure times (notwithstanding some eastward and westward extension, etc.). Personally I do frequently use this line outside of 9-5. It was GO's 1970s and 1980s expansion that was so 9-5 centric.

I forgot why I'd come to this thread in the first place. :p

So how about Toronto sells $1500 passes for the Sheppard Extension that allow people to use the line as much as they like over the next 30 years? Put a $1 surcharge on the P3 extension(s) and you are a good way to paying for the concrete and steel.

I actually would be in favour of a $0.25 or even $0.50 surcharge for commuters to ride a new P3 Subway line...while it could be implemented on Sheppard, i think it is far more realistic on...the DRL

Clearly the DRL will be an alternate to an existing rapid transit route...So Lets get a P3 to build it and let it accept the extra $0.25/$0.50 surcharge per rider to make its return...if there are riders along the route that absolutely refuse the extra surcharge, there is an existing streetcar and frequent bus service available...or there is the usual Yonge-Bloor transfer...

Now, there should be a limit to how many years this extra surcharge could be collected...i would say 10 years, 15 maximum.

I'm sure that if a tender was put forward to build and operate a profitable subway line AND collect a surcharge for it, there would be a lineup of bidders...at least its something worth studying

I actually would be in favour of a $0.25 or even $0.50 surcharge for commuters to ride a new P3 Subway line...while it could be implemented on Sheppard, i think it is far more realistic on...the DRL

Clearly the DRL will be an alternate to an existing rapid transit route...So Lets get a P3 to build it and let it accept the extra $0.25/$0.50 surcharge per rider to make its return...if there are riders along the route that absolutely refuse the extra surcharge, there is an existing streetcar and frequent bus service available...or there is the usual Yonge-Bloor transfer...

Now, there should be a limit to how many years this extra surcharge could be collected...i would say 10 years, 15 maximum.

I'm sure that if a tender was put forward to build and operate a profitable subway line AND collect a surcharge for it, there would be a lineup of bidders...at least its something worth studying

You obviously haven't done the basic math on this one.

The DRL, in my non-expert opinion, is a much needed piece of transit infrastructure. However given it will cost billions and billions and isn't high on anyone's radar at the moment, is unlikely to get built anytime soon, including under this fanciful P3 plan.

Due to the significant amount of subterranean infrastructure already existing under downtown, it is going to be a huge engineering feat (costing lots of money) to go through the area people actually want to go (so that means some routing to the south along rail lines through an already over-capacity Union is a non-starter).

Say we build just the eastern half, from ~Spadina over and up to Danforth (Pape, Greenwood, whatever). Let's me super-conservative and say $3 billion coming from the magic of private money.

Now we've got this proposal to tack a surcharge to riding the line. Has there been any consideration for how this will be effectively managed? For interchanges with existing subway stations or surface routes, do you put in an internal barrier to collect this additional charge?

Most existing subway ridership comes from surface feeder routes where riders are already in the fare-paid area so you can just flow them down the stair to the platform. Now we're going to funnel them through turnstiles, collector booths, something where we are going to ding them for $0.25 or $0.50. Cash only? What about if they don't have change? A transfer or metropass isn't good enough?

But that's minor stuff compared to the total money we're talking about.

Current total TTC system ridership is about 450 million/year. Let's be really generous and put 200 million of that choosing to take this premium DRL. Even at $0.50/ride that's $100 million/year. For the maximum of 15 years, we're barely hitting half of the current severely underestimated cost of building the line.

Where's the private profit incentive with that kind of return? How do you determine that the line is actually 'profitable' when most of the ridership is being delivered by transit they already paid a fare for (subway or surface routes)?

Maybe there is some fantastic pool of private money yearning to be spent on building subway infrastructure for Toronto, but to go on with simplistic statements about expecting there to be a lineup of eager bidders is just plain silly. You need to show the numbers that prove otherwise and not just repeat cliches about the wonders of private financing.

I really don't think you understand how P3s work. Don't worry, the mayor doesn't either.

There is nothing fanciful about DRL done as a P3. But it is ludicrous to think that the capital costs of any rail project could or should be recovered from the fare box. Government would still put up the capital cost one way or another. The P3 could however help in getting cost certainty, cost control, integrated design and operations management, and maybe undercutting union wages a bit.

Nowhere in my post did I say that a 0.50 cent surcharge would pay for the entire cost! Rather, it would just be a fare premium similar to GO Transit, to help recover costs.

Let's put P3 behind for a second, even if the TTC builds it, an extra 100 million a year would go a long way...as in 1.5 billion dollars in 15 years! I think that's quite a good "Dependable" revenue source to pay for such a project. Again...not the only source, just one source!

Assuming the ttc is using some sort of fare payment card (presto or other) then all it takes for rides to pay a surcharge is a simple tap...

Yes people transferring from buses will have to pay before proceeding...just think of it as non-ttc bus passengers entering ttc stations...only...its just 50 cents and hopefully it will not slowdown commuters too much if its everyone just tapping their cards!

Currently, go train/bus commuters can tap their presto card and get on a 905 region bus service...same idea except perhaps larger volumes.

I actually think this model should be implemented on all rapid transit extensions actually...People will have to simply treat it like a second transit authority in toronto...cuz that is the reality in this city!

If vancouver is charging Zone 2 and 3 fare's for travel...the least we can do is charge 50 cents extra for using new rapid transit lines...

Nowhere in my post did I say that a 0.50 cent surcharge would pay for the entire cost! Rather, it would just be a fare premium similar to GO Transit, to help recover costs.

Then you probably shouldn't have said:

"So Lets get a P3 to build it and let it accept the extra $0.25/$0.50 surcharge per rider to make its return"

Existing farebox revenue does not even cover 100% of current operating costs, let alone pay for capital expenditures. The revenue share from regular rider fares allocated to your DRL would go towards paying for it to operate, not do anything towards paying for the cost of building it.

Where are the numbers that show there would be a profitable situation for any private operation to put up funds to build the line?

@Astrix You didn't even bother to read the rest of my post...you just pick out sentences that you can debate and end it there...

I put an entire post on how a surcharge would be beneficial even if the TTC built the line, yet no response there...

@Astrix You didn't even bother to read the rest of my post...you just pick out sentences that you can debate and end it there...

I put an entire post on how a surcharge would be beneficial even if the TTC built the line, yet no response there...

If you'll refer to my earlier response, I pointed out that there may be significant logistical issues with collecting a nominal surcharge for riding the line, in addition to the fantasy about it being a profitable investment for private capital.

Maybe the surcharge would be a good idea. Maybe it would work. However it will be a pain to collect 50 cents from tens of thousands per day (would any collector really be motivated to make an issue of making someone pay a couple quarters?)

In theory your idea sounds great - hey more revenue for the TTC! Who wouldn't want that?

It's just that putting this into practice is not as simple as saying it is a great idea.

Fare by Distance

If you'll refer to my earlier response, I pointed out that there may be significant logistical issues with collecting a nominal surcharge for riding the line, in addition to the fantasy about it being a profitable investment for private capital.

Maybe the surcharge would be a good idea. Maybe it would work. However it will be a pain to collect 50 cents from tens of thousands per day (would any collector really be motivated to make an issue of making someone pay a couple quarters?)

In theory your idea sounds great - hey more revenue for the TTC! Who wouldn't want that?

It's just that putting this into practice is not as simple as saying it is a great idea.

I think this idea being discussed here adds to the argument that here should be Fare by Distance. The subway lines in proposal right now: Sheppard, Eglinton, Yonge North, York University are all pretty far away from the city core meaning trips from the people who take those lines will probably be longer. A Fare by Distance scheme would probably help with cost recovery a lot on those lines.

I think this idea being discussed here adds to the argument that here should be Fare by Distance. The subway lines in proposal right now: Sheppard, Eglinton, Yonge North, York University are all pretty far away from the city core meaning trips from the people who take those lines will probably be longer. A Fare by Distance scheme would probably help with cost recovery a lot on those lines.

There's logic to that line of thinking, however note that there did use to be a zone fare system on the TTC a few decades ago.

One of the downsides, as you point out, is that many of the riders from the outer edges of the city are taking longer trips. However these people are more often than not of lesser income than those closer to the core. One must ask if it is palatable to increase the costs for those riders. Does it make sense to give them more reason to drive instead of taking transit?

Due to the significant amount of subterranean infrastructure already existing under downtown, it is going to be a huge engineering feat (costing lots of money) to go through the area people actually want to go (so that means some routing to the south along rail lines through an already over-capacity Union is a non-starter).

Here we go again, people making the claim that Union is at capacity. Can you back this up? When you say 'Union', do you mean 'Union subway station', 'Union GO station', 'Union GO Bus terminal', or 'Union VIA terminal'? These 4 uses are relatively independent uses within the Union Station complex. Statements like 'Union is already over capacity' is a pretty blanket statement to make...

So it's not your be-all and end-all absolute definitive final statement, but Steve's reply at http://stevemunro.ca/?p=4837&cpage=1#comment-48937 does refer to rail corridor congestion. I believe GO theoretically has plans to run many times the trains they currently do through Union in the not-to-distant future.

So since one can't slot the DRL coming through Union in the existing rail corridor, that means a tunneled version. I can't say whether Union could handle the increased demand another subway line would call bring, but if one is going to tunnel, then why not disperse the concentration and run the DRL a little further north (Wellington? King? Richmond/Adelaide?).

Then there are more options for the network through the CBD.

So it's not your be-all and end-all absolute definitive final statement, but Steve's reply at http://stevemunro.ca/?p=4837&cpage=1#comment-48937 does refer to rail corridor congestion. I believe GO theoretically has plans to run many times the trains they currently do through Union in the not-to-distant future.

So since one can't slot the DRL coming through Union in the existing rail corridor, that means a tunneled version. I can't say whether Union could handle the increased demand another subway line would call bring, but if one is going to tunnel, then why not disperse the concentration and run the DRL a little further north (Wellington? King? Richmond/Adelaide?).

Then there are more options for the network through the CBD.

I don't think I've ever seen a version of the DRL where the platform was part of the GO Union trainshed instead of close to (if not directly under) the existing Union Subway station.

And I think Union subway station would be more of a destination, as opposed to a subway to subway transfer node. The only significant transfers it would be likely to see would be TTC <-> GO transfers. Most of the people getting off at the DRL Union station would be exiting the station and going to either PATH or to street level, not to YUS trains.

And yes, from a logistical perspective, going down Wellington does make more sense, but even in that scenario, the DRL would still technically be a part of the Union station complex, as there would likely be a Spadina-style walkway between the YUS Union platforms and the DRL Union platforms.

I don't think I've ever seen a version of the DRL where the platform was part of the GO Union trainshed instead of close to (if not directly under) the existing Union Subway station.

And I think Union subway station would be more of a destination, as opposed to a subway to subway transfer node. The only significant transfers it would be likely to see would be TTC <-> GO transfers. Most of the people getting off at the DRL Union station would be exiting the station and going to either PATH or to street level, not to YUS trains.

And yes, from a logistical perspective, going down Wellington does make more sense, but even in that scenario, the DRL would still technically be a part of the Union station complex, as there would likely be a Spadina-style walkway between the YUS Union platforms and the DRL Union platforms.

Although many many years away, it would make far greater sense to keep the DRL away from Union (at least as far north as Queen). I say this because this line would directly serve the downtown core and the major towers. I get off at St. Andrew and I can tell you very few people continue on to Union during the morning rush (same goes for Yonge Line). We have to keep in mind that people are lazy, and if the DRL were to go under union or connect to union, I'd say quite a few people would make that transfer.

While Union Station has capacity (how much who knows) why not spread the load out and provide several dense connecting points (Yonge-Bloor, Bloor-St. George, Yonge-Queen/King, Union). The majority of people that use the PATH heading north from Union Station are not TTC users, rather GO, VIA, etc. Combine this with (hopefully) a new East/West Queen's Quay LRT and there could be several good options to get downtown:
Local: Streetcars (College, Dundas, Queen, King, Queen's Quay), In-Town: YUS, BD and DRL subways, Commuter: GO, VIA

Back