News   Apr 24, 2024
 947     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 617     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

There is too much chaos along Sheppard Avenue East with cars and buses exiting Don Mills Station and Fairview Mall. They really need to extend the subway east to at least Consumers Road.

The subway willl never be extended to Consumers Road, with the Relief Line expected to terminate at Don Mills. The Sheppard Line either gets extended to STC, or it doesnt get extended at all.

The subway willl never be extended to Consumers Road, with the Relief Line expected to terminate at Don Mills. The Sheppard Line either gets extended to STC, or it doesnt get extended at all.

You don't know for a fact that it is an STC extension or nothing. I guess we just have to wait and see what happens

You don't know for a fact that it is an STC extension or nothing. I guess we just have to wait and see what happens

No. It's just highly unlikely. If a station were at consumers, people coming from buses would have to transfer to the Sheppard Line, wait up to 5 minutes for a train to take the very short 1 stop ride to the DRL to get downtown. That's a lot more inconvenient than the status quo. I can't envision that being supported by even some of the biggest proponents of the Sheppard extension.

He didn't really say the subway wouldn't go past Consumers Road. I tend to agree that if Sheppard subway is extended, the odds of a Consumers Road stop are very very low due to cost. Next stop east will be Vic Park; everybody in-between will be taking the bus just as they do today.

I'm not in favour of much more than BRT for Sheppard simply because that route will not do much more than feed Yonge for decades and decades to come.

If we want a heavy/fast east/west route, use the Highway 407 corridor and build something with 2km to 5km stop spacing and an average speed in the 70km/h+ range.

Last edited:
It should be extended to Rouge Hill to provide an uptown commuter rail type service, with other north south rapid transit options intercepting it so it doesn't dump everyone on the Yonge Line.

If it existed at that length even today a lot more people would ride it and for less than $10 per person.

I'm not in favour of much more than BRT for Sheppard simply because that route will not do much more than feed Yonge for decades and decades to come.

Sheppard should be extended west, and interlined. It would then have a purpose

He didn't really say the subway wouldn't go past Consumers Road. I tend to agree that if Sheppard subway is extended, the odds of a Consumers Road stop are very very low due to cost. Next stop east will be Vic Park; everybody in-between will be taking the bus just as they do today.

If we want a heavy/fast east/west route, use the Highway 407 corridor and build something with 2km to 5km stop spacing and an average speed in the 70km/h+ range.

There is no way on earth if I live in Malvern and I want to go to Dufferin and Lawrence - maybe I work at Lawrence Square, that I am going north to 407 to get across the city. The Sheppard span paralleling the 401 will be completed from (at least) Sheppard west to STC.

Furthermore, if we are to reduce car trips, something significant and uninterrupted has to traverse the city. Scarborough. Lots of under employment. Airport. Job zone. You cant't get to the job zone easily from Scarborough. Oh wait, you can't get there easily (on RAPID transit) from Mississauga either.

Ward 42 Candidates were 13-8 in favor of scrapping the Sheppard East LRT (3 Undecided, 5 unreported). Neethan Shan did support it.

Ward 39,40 & 41 will have far less support. Aside from Shan's support this line looks to be in trouble

Last edited:
Ward 42 Candidates were 13-8 in favor of scrapping the Sheppard East LRT (3 Undecided, 5 unreported). Neethan Shan did support it.

Ward 39,40 & 41 will have far less support. Aside from Shan's support this line looks to be in trouble

So, does Shan support both SSE and the Sheppard East LRT?

Not a bad configuration, IMO. Of course, in that case the two have to be connected. Either the subway should be (re)extended to Sheppard, or the LRT has to divert to STC and meet the subway terminus.

Wow what a fail in Toronto infrastructure development...this went from start of construction... Cancelled.....reinstated... Deferred... And cancelled again....what a total cockup and a waste of a generation's time and money. Queen's Park or Ottawa should make it a rule that any project that has commenced construction cannot be cancelled for whatever reason unless it can be clearly demonstrated that there is a significant cause for it and at least 2/3 vote in favor....these political partisanship games has seriously wrecked the country for the next 3 generations

Back