News   Apr 24, 2024
 967     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I think the city has formally made a Sheppard LRT branch to Scarborough Centre a part of their transit plans, actually.

I really wish that were true.

Sheppard East transit is under review by City Planning. What happens there's is anyone's guess.

I don't think Scarborough councillors will be too supportive of a SELRT branch to SCC. That would make both an eastward extension of Line 4, or northward extension of Line 2 within our lifetimes very difficult to see built.

Reactions: DB9
I don't actually understand the TTC's view on them. They used side platforms for the original 1954 subway, centre platforms for the 1963 extension to St. George, side platforms throughout the original Bloor-Danforth subway, centre platforms on the early-1970s Yonge extension, then side platforms on the late-1970s Spadina/Allen Road subway.

Were they just indecisive, or is there some reason why they kept switching?

Centre platforms are more favourable now because it means fewer stairs, escalators and elevators they have to put in. All of the platforms on the TYSSE are all centre platforms and the ones for the underground stations on the Eglinton crosstown are all going to be centre platforms. In addition to only needing a common set of stairs, escalators and elivators it also makes it easy to change trains if you want the wrong direction by mistake.

And you can Spanishize them without having to shut them down. Or at least Unionize them like what they could do to Yonge Station.

Imagine a Spanishized Bloor to Union stretch unlike the absolute pain in the ass that they're stuck with permanently right now. It's easier to get to your right platform from the outside than underground at Dundas.

Centre platforms are more favourable now because it means fewer stairs, escalators and elevators they have to put in. All of the platforms on the TYSSE are all centre platforms and the ones for the underground stations on the Eglinton crosstown are all going to be centre platforms. In addition to only needing a common set of stairs, escalators and elivators it also makes it easy to change trains if you want the wrong direction by mistake.

I understand that. What I don't understand is why they went back and forth in the 1960s and 1970s. The original subway and four subsequent expansions used side (Union - Eglinton), centre (St Andrew - St George), side (Islington - Warden), centre (Lawrence - Finch) then side again (not-Spadina - Wilson).

You're missing the context of the map. Toronto City Planning is currently investigating what are the ideal transit solutions for the Sheppard Rapid Transit corridor, identified as purple in the map you linked. It's unknown what the final solution would look like. It could be an LRT with a branch down to STC. But it could also be any other combination of transit modes and aliments along the corridor.

Speaking of that, it has been well over a year since City Planning published that map. I wonder how much longer it's going to take for them to release their ideal solution for the corridor.

I understand that. What I don't understand is why they went back and forth in the 1960s and 1970s. The original subway and four subsequent expansions used side (Union - Eglinton), centre (St Andrew - St George), side (Islington - Warden), centre (Lawrence - Finch) then side again (not-Spadina - Wilson).
It probably has more to do with the posting of the streets and stuff in the area for example with the university section it's all under the street so having centre platforms probably made sense at the time so they didn't have to dig up as much plus I believe they were all mined out rather than board or cut and cover.

Glencairn to Wilson have centre platforms.

You're missing the context of the map. Toronto City Planning is currently investigating what are the ideal transit solutions for the Sheppard Rapid Transit corridor, identified as purple in the map you linked. It's unknown what the final solution would look like. It could be an LRT with a branch down to STC. But it could also be any other combination of transit modes and aliments along the corridor.

Speaking of that, it has been well over a year since City Planning published that map. I wonder how much longer it's going to take for them to release their ideal solution for the corridor.

I am thinking one of 2 options:
1) subway extension
2) conversion to LRT

TBH, either is palatable.

I am thinking one of 2 options:
1) subway extension
2) conversion to LRT

TBH, either is palatable.

Well likely see a hybrid solution. Subway to SSE and LRT from UTSC to Sheppard and McCowan or Kennedy depending when the subway dips across the 401. Given our Political state this seems to be path of least resistance and allows Politicians admit no fault on the current Sheppard stubway, aleviates them from making out of the box design approvals, and continue to build LRT out. Seems to be headed in this direction

Last edited:
Well likely see a hybrid solution. Subway to SSE and LRT from UTSC to Sheppard and McCowan or Kennedy depending when the subway dips across the 401. Given our Political state this seems to be path of least resistance and allows Politicians admit no fault on the current Sheppard stubway, aleviates them from making out of the box design approvals, and continue to build LRT out. Seems to be headed in this direction

I hope you are wrong. Otherwise we are going to be dealing with yet another SRT in the future.

Seriously,, pick a mode for a route and keep with it.

I hope you are wrong. Otherwise we are going to be dealing with yet another SRT in the future.

Seriously,, pick a mode for a route and keep with it.

I don't see that at all? Its completely different than the SRT. The subway would loop thru the heart of Scarborough on Sheppard and drop down at either Kennedy or McCowan and create a full loop to SCC (assuming Sheppard West is also built) and the LRT would be a massive line which would go all the way to Pearson and run locally as a fully East-West local line the way to Morningside and loop back up thru Malvern to the Subway on Sheppard. This would be an amazing line on its own and the transfer would be in a much more logical place near the heart of Scarborough. Add GO RER on Lawrence and Finch with improved Bus service and its a very good plan.

I see this being heavily supported and for an extra costs of the subway it alleviates internal City subway bickering. And if they are not going to go back and do something to re-jig the Sheppard subway than this is logical end game for the subway. No matter what is decided for Sheppard I would not expect to see anything in the new couple decades but the SSE only gives this subway loop idea greater support IMO

Last edited:
I don't see that at all? Its completely different than the SRT. The subway would loop thru the heart of Scarborough on Sheppard and drop down at either Kennedy or McCowan and create a full loop to SCC (assuming Sheppard West is also built) and the LRT would be a massive line which would go all the way to Pearson and run locally as a fully East-West local line the way to Morningside and loop back up thru Malvern to the Subway on Sheppard. This would be an amazing line on its own and the transfer would be in a much more logical place near the heart of Scarborough. Add GO RER on Lawrence and Finch with improved Bus service and its a very good plan.

I see this being heavily supported and for an extra costs of the subway it alleviates internal City subway bickering. And if they are not going to go back and do something to re-jig the Sheppard subway than this is logical end game for the subway. No matter what is decided for Sheppard I would not expect to see anything in the new couple decades but the SSE only gives this subway loop idea greater support IMO

Lets say someone wants to go from the STC to Somewhere on the Yonge Line. They need to take 3 modes, not 2, unless they go all the way to B-Y.

Back