News   Apr 18, 2024
 644     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.6K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I remember when the (Line 2) Bloor-Danforth opened with terminals at Keele and Woodbine Stations. Having to hope the signage is correct and deciding which platform will have a train ready to depart was a guessing game.

I don't think anyone on this forum is in their 60s.

Anyways, first of all, those weren't planned as terminal stations. The planned terminals were Warden and Islington. The TTC built nearly all of Bloor-Danforth in one shot, they just opened the Keele-Woodbine segment two years earlier. They did the same with the Yonge extension to Finch a few years later, where the segment to York Mills was opened a bit earlier than the rest of the extension.

Second, you didn't have to guess (you'd know that if you really did remember...). The TTC used a single platform (the same eastbound/westbound platform they use today), and the two other platforms were put into use when the rest of the subway was finished.

Side platform stations can he be inconvenient, particularly at Dundas where it's an absolute pain the ass to switch platforms and at Bloor where they can't expand the station and keep it open because the tracks are in the middle.

Side platform stations can he be inconvenient, particularly at Dundas where it's an absolute pain the ass to switch platforms and at Bloor where they can't expand the station and keep it open because the tracks are in the middle.

They can expand the platforms, actually. They already did once.

Apparently, they will start tunneling from north of the Scarborough Centre Station and dig south towards Kennedy Station, with removal near or before the Kennedy Station. Then they'll cut-and-cover the Scarborough Centre station box around and through the bored tunnel. If they're going to cut-and-covering the station box, they can easily continue the cut-and-cover for the cover-over tracks. See no reason why they can't put in a center platform for the station.

With the single tunnel, the new station could be using platforms on the sides, instead of a center platform, due to difficulties diverting tracks to the sides from a single tunnel.

Never thought I'd live to see another station with side platforms built in Toronto. It's fallen out of favour with the TTC since the 1960s, because of poor passenger flows.

Honestly I don't think STC will be the terminal station forever. It will probably be the terminal station for awhile I guess..maybe 5-10 years.

After these costs? They will never extend the subway again. At least in the East. This cost escalation is likely to basically kill subway extension on Sheppard.

It's fallen out of favour with the TTC since the 1960s, because of poor passenger flows.

I don't actually understand the TTC's view on them. They used side platforms for the original 1954 subway, centre platforms for the 1963 extension to St. George, side platforms throughout the original Bloor-Danforth subway, centre platforms on the early-1970s Yonge extension, then side platforms on the late-1970s Spadina/Allen Road subway.

Were they just indecisive, or is there some reason why they kept switching?

After these costs? They will never extend the subway again. At least in the East. This cost escalation is likely to basically kill subway extension on Sheppard.

I think the city has formally made a Sheppard LRT branch to Scarborough Centre a part of their transit plans, actually.

Back