News   Mar 28, 2024
 148     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 594     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 366     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Please. If Tory and his fans are going to sit there and take credit for winning over the hearts and minds of us coloured folks in Scarborough with his fairy tale fantasies of the trains of tomorrow then he takes the blame for sitting on his hands and not opening his mouth and using his business acumen to get things done. You can't have it both ways.

You seem to have me pegged as some kind of Tory whisperer. Should I checker you with the worst traits of whoever you voted for?

I voted for him because I wanted Smart Track to put suburban rail on the agenda. And I stand by that decision. There will be no real progress for suburban transit in this city without suburban rail. Do I necessarily care about Smart Track as proposed by Tory? Heck no. But I don't want to see Metrolinx focus RER entirely on the 905 either. This region will have another million people in a decade. Do you think the DRL or the SLRT will be sufficient? If all Smart Track ever accomplishes is forcing Metrolinx to plan for suburban rail service inside the 416, I'll be happy.

I'm done with your butthurt nonsense. Take your brooding elsewhere. I hope I've made my views on suburban rail and my reason for my vote clear enough. Now can we get back to talking transit or do we have to hear you whine more about Tory?

sorry....they tweeted it today.....didn't check date on article before posting....my bad.

EDIT: looking, now I can't find where/when they tweeted it today.....just showed up in my feed ...so either they tweeted it in error and have now deleted tweet or some twitter bug made it show up in my feed today.....carry on with my apologies.

You are not losing your mind. David Rider - a journalist with the Star - tweeted it this morning. https://twitter.com/dmrider/status/856888243111038976

Here's the full context as to how it came up.

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.14.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.15.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.15.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.15.14 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.15.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.15.14 PM.png
    291.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.15.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.15.08 PM.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 215
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.15.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.15.00 PM.png
    30 KB · Views: 218
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.14.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.14.53 PM.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 228
Thanks for your non-answer to my original question, since you probably don't have one. Sorry if I interrupted your regular programming. Please continue...

View attachment 106687

I did answer your original question by providing actual reasons as to why the costs have escalated :

"As I said in my previous posts surely politics plays a factor. That original conceptual estimate was a mixture of low balled quote, lower material costs at that time, unknown geological challenges, and did not include the Triton bus terminal."

I asked a similar style question in return and you can only respond with a trolling picture to mock something that is a problem with this debate. Not even sure why you were asking me that question to begin with. As stated many time Im really not a fan of the Tory subway, but I do like other part of the plan, I don't like the transfer LRT plan, and just want to see action.

Last edited:
I did answer your original question and gave actual reasons as to why the costs have escalated:

I was referring to this part of my post:
Can you think of any other transit project whose cost estimates turned out to be this wildly wrong every few months?

All you did was take my words and insert more of your usual tripe about the media/leftists that you've repeated 1000 times already:
Can you think of any other transit project where the media and a small group of outside Politicians were so determined to dictate and push thru an unwanted plan against the overwhelming democratic wishes of such a large area?

"Trump", "psychosis", bullying cartoons, etc. Some of the posters here are ruthless, as long as you support LRT attacking & trolling has been shown to be acceptable in this forum

As if your manic repeating of the same talking points every day somehow contributes to a productive discussion. And I say this for certain other members as well, including LRT heads. As you can probably tell, my patience is wearing a little thin.

FYI, I wasn't the one who was previously banned for trolling. And pstogios will probably be taking another vacation soon if he keeps this up.

Who knew you could ignore posters? Ill now be Psychosis free! Hope he can do the same.

Last edited:
Farther to this.

Currently, STC to downtown (say financial):
SRT - 4 stops (maybe 3 with the transfer LRT)
Transfer
B-D - 13 stops
Transfer
YUS - 5 stops.
Total = 22 stops and 2 transfers.

This Scarborough Relief Line (SRL) (with the Downtown Relief Line, and the North York Relief Line, someone had to propose this):
SRL - 16 stops, ZERO transfers.

Scarborough to Don River = 25 km @$100M/km (elevated) = $2.5B. 19 stations @$75M/station = $1.4B: SUB TOTAL = $3.9B
Don River to Bathhurst = 4.5 km @$200M/km (cut-and-cover) = $0.9B. 6 stations @$150M/station = $0.9B: SUB TOTAL = $1.8B
Bathurst to Exhibition = 3.5 km @$100M/km (elevated) = $0.4B. 3 stations @$100M/station = $0.3B: SUB TOTAL = $0.7B

TOTAL: 33km, 28 stations (interchanges with B-D, DRL, Y and U), $6.5B.
That's a bit more than the ~$4B (although maybe more) for the SSE. Throw the Sheppard money and the SmartTrack East money in the pot and you've got this built.
View attachment 106404
If we could do this with SkyTrain technology, it could work.

I don't see this as replacing the need for the DRL at Pape or Don Mills corridor however. This line won't help relieve the Yonge Line.

It is however, a good rapid transit plan for Scarborough.

I was banned for taking the previous trolls bait and responding back at his level of attacks and pics just like the one you posted. Again still not even sure why you directed that question at me. Odd.

Im done engaging with you or the bully as Ill get the booted if I go to those childish levels.

It would be nice for you to be booted again. I'm not sure you've added anything productive to this conversation since you repeat the same nonsense over and over for months.

Even Trump has learned to adjust his positions in the face of overwhelming evidence contrary to his plans.

You have no answer to the fundamental issue, you haven't had an answer for months, and you will continue to not have an answer because you are WRONG.

Scarborough lacks the density to warrant a subway, one stop or 20, and the subway we're getting is bankrupting this city from all other transit priorities.

Conversely, the LRT plans were well suited to the density and ridership in Scarborough, PLUS (bonus) they were fully-funded.

Boo hoo--the LRT had ONE transfer to the subway. But you're such special snowflakes, you need a one seat ride from your house to wherever you want.

Reactions: syn
Farther to this.

Currently, STC to downtown (say financial):
SRT - 4 stops (maybe 3 with the transfer LRT)
Transfer
B-D - 13 stops
Transfer
YUS - 5 stops.
Total = 22 stops and 2 transfers.

This Scarborough Relief Line (SRL) (with the Downtown Relief Line, and the North York Relief Line, someone had to propose this):
SRL - 16 stops, ZERO transfers.

Scarborough to Don River = 25 km @$100M/km (elevated) = $2.5B. 19 stations @$75M/station = $1.4B: SUB TOTAL = $3.9B
Don River to Bathhurst = 4.5 km @$200M/km (cut-and-cover) = $0.9B. 6 stations @$150M/station = $0.9B: SUB TOTAL = $1.8B
Bathurst to Exhibition = 3.5 km @$100M/km (elevated) = $0.4B. 3 stations @$100M/station = $0.3B: SUB TOTAL = $0.7B

TOTAL: 33km, 28 stations (interchanges with B-D, DRL, Y and U), $6.5B.
That's a bit more than the ~$4B (although maybe more) for the SSE. Throw the Sheppard money and the SmartTrack East money in the pot and you've got this built.
View attachment 106404
I took my other map and made a copy to visualize how this might look:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...&ll=43.670621632972335,-79.4171914171481&z=12

Originally I had the Dufferin-King Line going into the Portlands. This time, I have it following your SRL alignment. I think some stations are too close together (STC-McCowan for instance).

There's a lot of useless energy being expended in this thread. Is there any credible opposition to this project at any level of government? My understanding is no, there is only unanimous support. That support may be overtly, even cynically political but It goes to show that specific technical arguments mean little in this world.

There's a lot of useless energy being expended in this thread. Is there any credible opposition to this project at any level of government? My understanding is no, there is only unanimous support. That support may be overtly, even cynically political but It goes to show that specific technical arguments mean little in this world.
Indeed, the energy is better spent changing the way transit is planned in the region.

An LRT replacement would be just as stupid as the one-stop subway and at least the subway would be faster. Miller brought in all this LRT talk about a decade ago now everything has turned into a subway vs LRT debate. The ONLY answer remains the cheapest, most efficient, fastest to build, and least disruptive..............SkyTrain extension.

The subway proponents are right about one thing............the STC should be grade separated but so should Eglinton. Simply buy MK111 cars and update any the line and save a cool $3 billion as well as a new maintenance and garage centre which LRT requires. The tracks haven't been started on Eglinton so use SkYtrain which will have twice the capacity of LRT, be far less disruptive, be much faster, and far cheaper to run due to automation. It of course could easily be extended West to Renforth and East to Malvern. Toronto would have a TRUE Crpsstown that would actually be rapid.

To placate the Scar residents as well as being based on some solid transit planning would be to have a GO RER/ST spur off the Stouffville RER line to STC. Yes, the service wouldn't be as frequent as subway but still high to Bloor/Danforth, be seamless across Eglinton, and still be just as fast to downtown as the longer wait will be more than made up by the faster speeds and fewer stations of RER.

All this could be done for under $3 billion.

Scarborough lacks the density to warrant a subway, one stop or 20, and the subway we're getting is bankrupting this city from all other transit priorities.

Conversely, the LRT plans were well suited to the density and ridership in Scarborough, PLUS (bonus) they were fully-funded.

And this is not going to change anytime soon because so many people in Scarborough see subways as the only fast mode of transit. I don't even think the Eglinton LRT will bring much change, because most of the people riding the SRT today won't be taking the LRT regularly. This is all a result of having a paradigm in Toronto that stresses stovepipes. Toronto shall only do LRT or subway. The province will handle medium-haul heavy rail. There will be no integration between the services. TTC buses will always focus on terminating at TTC stations. Service to GO stations will be secondary. Nobody in the sane world would design a transit system this way.

If we could do this with SkyTrain technology, it could work.
SkyTrain is always a sensible solution. I would say the criteria should be about 80m to 100m long trains, capacity 20,000 to 30,000 ppdph. Preferably can handle tighter curves with smaller trains so it could be mostly elevated and and fit in smaller tunnels (I think parts in downtown need to be underground).
I don't see this as replacing the need for the DRL at Pape or Don Mills corridor however. This line won't help relieve the Yonge Line.
It is however, a good rapid transit plan for Scarborough.
I think it will relieve the Yonge Line. Over 10,000 riders (peak hour) from Scarborough would be taking this and many would have transferred at Y-B.
Thanks, that's roughly the route I was thinking. (I had it go across Front-Wellington-Front and not King - thinking it would be easier to elevate on Front west of Spadina. I also had it going to Exhibition, with a branch to Sunnyside). Generally, I don't think we need 2 DRL's in the West (since the UP/GO corridor is already there), but probably do need 2 in the East.
Originally I had the Dufferin-King Line going into the Portlands. This time, I have it following your SRL alignment. I think some stations are too close together (STC-McCowan for instance).
Would dipping the south to Lakeshore help your Portlands access. I imagine you will have some type of Streetcar from Portlands to this line and to DRL. Maybe could consider some interlining if branches are made to Portlands and Exhibition. One would be Scarborough to Exhibition, the other would be Dufferin to Portlands, with the King portion being common.

Back