News   May 03, 2024
 894     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 554     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 268     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

BRT everywhere would actually do substantially more for intra-Scarborough travel than LRT or subway ever could. And as added bonus, the extra space is useful for eventual conversion to LRT.
...and BRT can be implemented very cheaply with very high coverage as well, which would truly respect the taxpayer, unlike the spendthrift projects popular with certain types of "fiscal conservatives."

BRT everywhere would actually do substantially more for intra-Scarborough travel than LRT or subway ever could. And as added bonus, the extra space is useful for eventual conversion to LRT.

You can do "BRT everywhere" all you want after the subway is brought to it's logical terminus point, Scarborough Town Centre.

Subway extensions, improved GO integration and BRT. A wonderful plan.

But who is going to break the news to Bombardier that they'll be quite a few less fancy trains in the "deal"? Oh well subways & piece by piece LRT it is.

You can do "BRT everywhere" all you want after the subway is brought to it's logical terminus point, Scarborough Town Centre.

Why? BRT requires nothing more than asphalt and paint. Do you oppose the Works department adding a lane to a road because a subway isn't built? To me, regardless of whether LRT or subway was chosen on the SRT corridor, building bus lanes should have already been done. Look at roads like Kennedy or Markham or Lawrence or Sheppard or Finch during rush. Why the hell don't they have curbside bus lanes there today?

It's interesting that 49% of all Toronto residents support the subway. And even more interesting that 63% of Scarborough residents do. That latter figure is exactly why so many Scarborough politicians at all levels of government are backing the subway. I would go further and theorize that a prolonged SRT shutdown would kill a few political careers and that may have been why so few Scarborough politicians came out in favour of LRT publicly.

I would go further and theorize that a prolonged SRT shutdown would kill a few political careers and that may have been why so few Scarborough politicians came out in favour of LRT publicly.

Question is whether that same shutdown issue will prevent a less expensive alignment along the SRT right of way. Although the subway won by a significant margin, I imagine that the vote would be much closer on partially surface vs. fully tunneled. It might turn into a new pan-council fight on cost vs. inconvenience during construction.

Question is whether that same shutdown issue will prevent a less expensive alignment along the SRT right of way. Although the subway won by a significant margin, I imagine that the vote would be much closer on partially surface vs. fully tunneled. It might turn into a new pan-council fight on cost vs. inconvenience during construction.

It likely will prevent the SRT from being explored. Although it should be properly estimated so we can have real $ & impacts to compare against other options It likely wont happen. The SRT corridor is not that well received by many in Scarborough. But if we're not going to provide many stops for Scarborough anyway It should atleast be considered.

What I would hope to see is a hybrid tunnel and above ground option on Midland or McCowan with a couple extra stops.

Why? BRT requires nothing more than asphalt and paint. Do you oppose the Works department adding a lane to a road because a subway isn't built? To me, regardless of whether LRT or subway was chosen on the SRT corridor, building bus lanes should have already been done. Look at roads like Kennedy or Markham or Lawrence or Sheppard or Finch during rush. Why the hell don't they have curbside bus lanes there today?

It's interesting that 49% of all Toronto residents support the subway. And even more interesting that 63% of Scarborough residents do. That latter figure is exactly why so many Scarborough politicians at all levels of government are backing the subway. I would go further and theorize that a prolonged SRT shutdown would kill a few political careers and that may have been why so few Scarborough politicians came out in favour of LRT publicly.
so why is this poll so different than another earlier poll that showed LRT was in top with Scarborough residents? Again people hear "subways" and think ya I want it

so why is this poll so different than another earlier poll that showed LRT was in top with Scarborough residents? Again people hear "subways" and think ya I want it

And the same could be said for the "LRT. LRT, LRT" crowd who think it's good for everywhere in Scarborough & don't care for integration. Polls are skewed for many reason & you cant put too much faith in them to begin with. The elections have also said a lot about the frustration so its pretty clear.

Surely there are many areas within Scarborough that want LRT. Those areas are not around SCC or the areas affected by the ridiculously planned transfer at Kennedy. But even in the areas which want LRT many Scarborough residents would agree SCC would be better served by extending the subway.

And we don't just want it for the sake of it. We want it because it the main transit artery on the City. And Scarborough is a massive heavily populated area in this City. The subway extension is the start. The other suburban LRT's & BRT's are also going to have to be paid for along with all the other downtown projects. Sucks for everyone its taken this long...

Time to move on.

Last edited:
I agree that it is time to move on. Too much time and effort has been spent on the small 6km extension
and there are much bigger fish to fry. I disagree with the subway extension but I also disagreed with the LRT to boot.

Scarborough has got it's subway extension with limited approval from other parts of the city as the poll would indicate. Now it is up to the taxpayers of Scarborough who are often at the forefront of complaining about City Hall largesse to DEMAND that their subway extension reach it's final destination of STC as quickly and cheaply as humanely possible. That obviously means using the whole stretch of the SRT corridor. Scarborough residents should be just as demanding in their want of financial responsibility for the line as they were for the line itself.

I agree that it is time to move on. Too much time and effort has been spent on the small 6km extension
and there are much bigger fish to fry. I disagree with the subway extension but I also disagreed with the LRT to boot.

Scarborough has got it's subway extension with limited approval from other parts of the city as the poll would indicate. Now it is up to the taxpayers of Scarborough who are often at the forefront of complaining about City Hall largesse to DEMAND that their subway extension reach it's final destination of STC as quickly and cheaply as humanely possible. That obviously means using the whole stretch of the SRT corridor. Scarborough residents should be just as demanding in their want of financial responsibility for the line as they were for the line itself.
Fat chance that will happen. People always want, want but then expecr others to pay

City forced to refund portion of Scarborough subway development charges after challenge of flawed ridership numbers

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...f-scarborough-subway-development-charges.html

That appeal has also left questions about the reliability and precision of ridership numbers and their role in influencing political decisions worth billions of dollars.

The rates for the subway charge were determined by a calculation based on the city’s controversial 14,000 ridership projection. Since the appeal was launched, top city officials have defended the figure but made contradictory statements about the planning process that produced it.

In appealing to the OMB, BILD argued that the city’s ridership projections were too high and the developers should not be on the hook for a subway when light rail would more than suffice.

Back