News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 823     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Maybe the "snark" got in your eyes because I have no idea what you're disagreeing with. Yes, when the B-D extension is finished, there will be a move for a Sheppard extension. That's basically what I said.

What we won't see is both projects overlapping. No Liberal MPP or councillor will try to get Sheppard on the agenda any time soon because they all know two Scarborough subways at the same time will never fly.

If memory serves, it was supposed to be built in two stages -- first to Victoria Park, and then to STC. Harris shortened stage one from V.P. to Don Mills.
Sorry, I was thinking of something else and didn't get the chance to go and edit. But I agree with you 100 percent here. It depends on when shovels hit the ground though. I personally blame Brad Duguid. Sheppard was supposed to go to Vic park, but honestly I don't know how it would get over the 404.

Probably McCowan and Sheppard. Especially if the BD subway retains the Danforth Alignment. Anywhere east would be just too little ridership.

What happened was Sheppard was supposed to be built, in fact it was supposed to be open to Scarborough town centre. But Harris killed it. People laid dormant till Ford and the rest is history. Personally, I have nothing against it like I said to you the last time if people want to pay it (all of us) then we should build them. I personally think either both should be committed too and built or none at all. I don't think the people of Scarborough will be satisfied with one subway. Take a look at this:View attachment 51685

I think that is where people in the 416 suburbs want to be at.

That map illustrates why it would be even ridiculous having subways run to Vaughan & Richmond Hill CC & not Scarborough CC. But this is Toronto & we'll keep flexing political muscle in attempt to divide our own City & patching in different forms in technology to areas which need quality RT more the RH & Vaughan. That actually looks like a quality transit system people would use to stop the madness and start building.

Thankfully our City Planning division takes a more nuanced approach than what looks pretty on a map :).

Too bad politicians ruin everything they touch. Especially that minister from Vaughan that has left us stuck with that stupid worthless subway.

The Vaughan and Scarborough subways are pretty similar. Both go to one major destination (York University for the former, Scarborough Centre for the latter). Both end at CN and CP railway yards respectively. The Vaughan subway has a large redevelopment proposal at the end of the line but I strongly suspect that it will flop. Both are pretty close to commuter rail lines which will be electrified 10 years from now (Barrie and Stouffville respectively). I think that there is a strong desire to eliminate transfers, thus the politicians did not choose LRT. Also remember that the Vaughan subway predates "Transit City".

The momentum is definitely pointing towards Council again changing their direction in the fall. I want to see how the province reacts.

They could

1. Respect the new wishes of council and revert to old plan

Theoretically, they could; if the new vote was strongly in favor of LRT, something like 30 : 15.

But if it comes to another 24 : 20, this time slightly in favor of LRT, then the province cannot rely on that vote. They will know that the new "wish" of the council is as unstable as its old "wish".

2. Withhold are their funding for the SSE/SLRT

They can't leave the corridor between Kennedy and STC without any rail service; but they can use their control of the purse string to sway the council in the direction they prefer.

3. Pay for Toronto's $900M portion of SSE
4. Legislate that City of Toronto pays for their $900M portion of SSE.

Both [3] and [4] are out of question; either would be very odd politically.

Most likely, they would lean on the council and the Mayor to make sure the subway is still on the table.

Failing that, they might built a shorter version of the subway, using the provincial funding only (or, provincial plus federal if the latter remains available).

Thankfully our City Planning division takes a more nuanced approach than what looks pretty on a map :).

Too bad politicians ruin everything they touch. Especially that minister from Vaughan that has left us stuck with that stupid worthless subway.
Agreed, but...it's so nice!

Theoretically, they could; if the new vote was strongly in favor of LRT, something like 30 : 15.

But if it comes to another 24 : 20, this time slightly in favor of LRT, then the province cannot rely on that vote. They will know that the new "wish" of the council is as unstable as its old "wish".

They can't leave the corridor between Kennedy and STC without any rail service; but they can use their control of the purse string to sway the council in the direction they prefer.

Both [3] and [4] are out of question; either would be very odd politically.

Most likely, they would lean on the council and the Mayor to make sure the subway is still on the table.

Failing that, they might built a shorter version of the subway, using the provincial funding only (or, provincial plus federal if the latter remains available).
Province would just do nothing like they have with the Jane LRT, Don Mills LRT and the SELRT if it is another close vote.
The Vaughan and Scarborough subways are pretty similar. Both go to one major destination (York University for the former, Scarborough Centre for the latter). Both end at CN and CP railway yards respectively. The Vaughan subway has a large redevelopment proposal at the end of the line but I strongly suspect that it will flop. Both are pretty close to commuter rail lines which will be electrified 10 years from now (Barrie and Stouffville respectively). I think that there is a strong desire to eliminate transfers, thus the politicians did not choose LRT. Also remember that the Vaughan subway predates "Transit City".
Yup, Vaughan was a generation 1 mcguinty disaster. From Sobara.

3995304727_870888f4dd_b-jpg.51685

Damn, I want that stock image of Toronto for my own fantasy maps! Anyone know where to find?

Damn, I want that stock image of Toronto for my own fantasy maps! Anyone know where to find?

I think Gweed (and perhaps you as well) provided pretty solid Google Earth templates. Any basic photo editing software can make them b/w (and perhaps play around with the Curves function to bump the contrast). But yes, the b/w does look striking. Some of the locations in Den's map however seem quite off (e.g RHC).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brainfreezed/3995304727

I think Gweed (and perhaps you as well) provided pretty solid Google Earth templates. Any basic photo editing software can make them b/w (and perhaps play around with the Curves function to bump the contrast). But yes, the b/w does look striking. Some of the locations in Den's map however seem quite off (e.g RHC).
Yeah it's an older map made in paint that was cut off. But it gives this gist of what the outer 416 is always complaining about.

The Toronto Star really should drop their quest to re-open the Scarborough subway debate.
It will never happen. Tory is committed to it and so is Wynne. Politics has decided this.
The Star continues to be annoying on this file.

Back