News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

TTC Review From A London (UK) Based Transport Planner

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
An interesting email we received from a London based transportation planner. Some very good points.

Hello, I'm a London (UK) based transport planner and I was in Toronto a few weeks ago for a conference: I wrote a couple of reviews on the strange way that the TTC approaches service delivery and hide the island airport. They sent me some interesting responses that I thought might interest you:

http://transportingcities.com/2015/06/01/toronto-airrail-billy-bishop-downtown/

http://transportingcities.com/2015/06/03/torontos-transport-network-subway-review/

Reactions: PL1

It seems that the TTC often has preconceived ideas of what their service is. Here is a well-articulated critique from a foreigner (who happens to be a transport planner) and they pull out their stock responses.

Oh wow I had no idea we were in the process of building a pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Airport! If a UT member like me doesn't know, how on earth is the average Torontonian supposed to?

This is actually a significant project in this city and now that it has come to my attention, I realize we do not even have a thread for it here. I decided to create one: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/billy-bishop-airport-pedestrian-tunnel-project.21674/

From my experience in the city, the TTC appears to be operating 3 distinct rail modes: subway, segregated light rail and traditional streetcar. Each of these modes has its own advantages but they are not presented as such or indeed identified in a way that a passenger would expect. The segregated light rail lines (Spadina, Harbourfront, St Clair, Eglington) offer a higher customer benefit than traditional streetcars, yet are not integrated with the subway mapping so potential passengers are discouraged from using them.
After a lot of searching, it is possible to see a solid transport network in the central part of the city and, as a visitor, I was able to get about on the network – despite the TTC’s attempts to frustrate me.

These really hit the nail on the head for me. Without prior knowledge, while riding the subway, you might assume that there is nothing downtown but the Line 1 U.

This is not directly related to the TTC but shows how out of touch the people building transit here are. We see this with the UP Express signs which they assume that everybody know what UP Express is. The author perfectly states it in the above link. When I mentioned it a few backs, some one told me that it doesn't matter because only a few people would not know what UP Express. According to Metrolinx, there is a high percentage of passengers who are confused about where the stations are at Union and Pearson:

"As the fastest growing city in North America it seems surprising that the transport system does not make the system more accessible for new residents and visitors. The system appears to assume that passengers know how to navigate whereas the number of passengers unfamiliar with the network will only grow in future – as the system is set to grow further with new light rail andsubway lines it is essential to develop a clear wayfinding and journey planning toolkit.

http://transportingcities.com/2015/06/03/torontos-transport-network-subway-review/

Reactions: PL1
This fellow makes a lot of great points. For sure the TTC could advertise the 509 as a service to BBA. My guess as to why they don't? Perhaps liability, and the problems associated with having passengers or families carrying massive luggage through the cramped and overcrowded quarters that is Union, then up the narrow steps onto our overcrowded CLRVs. I don't think the TTC even wants these kinds of passengers using our system. It's an accident and hassle waiting to happen. Another problem with Union are the low ceilings, and the subsequent lack of hanging signs to direct passengers. These are important for subway stations, but noticeably absent on Union's platform.

Re: our standard subway map. Although I'm pretty conservative when it comes to strictly identifying subway (or fully grade-separated light RT) lines, that doesn't mean I oppose showing other lesser important surface lines/services - provided that they're shown with a smaller line thickness/colour. I think our subway map is in dire need of retooling, which I've discussed in the Fantasy and Wayfinding threads. Larger, more to-scale, and placed on our 20"x28" ad space on our subways. We don't have to show our entire streetcar/bus system, but perhaps the 509, 510, 512, and maybe the 504 (because it currently acts as a surface relief line for those from the east that don't want to deal with Yonge). Not all stops have to be ID'd, but perhaps important locales/neighbourhoods (like BBA).

That was a very surprising outsider review. There was no mention at all about the mismatched subway, train and streetcar pictographs not looking 100% like the actual vehicle—which normally causes bedlam and anarchy on our streets and online. In light of that I am impressed Liam even figured out the difference between a subway and a streetcar. He must be the most bloody brilliant Londoner alive today. Put him on the throne.

This fellow makes a lot of great points. For sure the TTC could advertise the 509 as a service to BBA. My guess as to why they don't? Perhaps liability, and the problems associated with having passengers or families carrying massive luggage through the cramped and overcrowded quarters that is Union, then up the narrow steps onto our overcrowded CLRVs. I don't think the TTC even wants these kinds of passengers using our system. It's an accident and hassle waiting to happen. Another problem with Union are the low ceilings, and the subsequent lack of hanging signs to direct passengers. These are important for subway stations, but noticeably absent on Union's platform.
The TTC already explained their position, by responding to his question. Their answer is basically that they don't see the point.

The TTC does not run service to Billy Bishop Airport. To say we do, or claim our 509 Harbourfront line is equivalent to the direct to terminal (free) shuttle service offered by the airlines, would represent a false claim. Clearly, the shuttle is the best way to get to the airport, especially if you have heavy suitcases or are elderly. At the moment, TTC service to the BBA is a service planning issue not a wayfinding issue.

The fact that the airport isn't shown even on the system map is ridiculous.

The TTC already explained their position, by responding to his question. Their answer is basically that they don't see the point.

Yeah, I read their answer. It's less than 200m from either stop on QQ to BBA. That's damn near close to direct service. I wouldn't say it's that they 'don't see the point'. But rather they don't want to (which they obviously wouldn't write as a response).

Yeah, I read their answer. It's less than 200m from either stop on QQ to BBA. That's damn near close to direct service. I wouldn't say it's that they 'don't see the point'. But rather they don't want to (which they obviously wouldn't write as a response).

The port authority/airlines don't seem to care much either.

For well under a 1% increase in cost of the tunnel project ($85M) they could have partially enclosed the sidewalk to Queens Quay and installed a next-tram screen.

Last edited:
I remember hearing a report twenty or so years ago that said Ontario was the worst province or state in North America for tourists to find their way around in. That related mainly to highway signage and subsequently the Province has put up all those generic tourist directional signs, but it shows that as Ontarians we are relatively introverted about our province. We don't think about how tourists or newcomers will find their way around.

I remember hearing a report twenty or so years ago that said Ontario was the worst province or state in North America for tourists to find their way around in. That related mainly to highway signage and subsequently the Province has put up all those generic tourist directional signs, but it shows that as Ontarians we are relatively introverted about our province. We don't think about how tourists or newcomers will find their way around.
I think many Torontonians don't even realize that we are a huge tourist destination in North America.

That mentality you said is best described when it comes to Torontonian's opinion on "our shabby public realm", what uses our waterfront should be for, and in our incompetence in making wayfinding in the PATH and on public transit easy and painless for first time users.

Someone posted this in the UPX thread, and I thought why not something similar for BBA. Another thing that might be wise to add to the standard subway map are the Ferry Docks (seeing that it's part of our city's transportation system).

Metrolinx should go learn from Vancouver on wayfinding:

CIiKxP-UwAA1ROE.jpg

https://twitter.com/Sean_YYZ/status/614893935530344448

image2994.png

Attachments

• image2994.png
    image2994.png
    282 KB · Views: 530
I have no direct knowledge but have always suspected that the TTC did not want to fall out with the local councillor by proposing to serve YTZ directly or to promote its existence near 509/511. Even a covered walkway along Eireann Quay to Queens Quay would be an improvement.

all of the arguments raised in this section I could say the same about being a tourist in London trying to navigate the tube and bus network. Local can always make sense of their own transit system where as it will always be a challenge for a tourist here is no easy way it dumb it down for them. The best advice I can give to anyone having trouble finding something on the TTC is ask someone.

Back