Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

There are multiple RFPs being issued this year. Not sure why you think this.

We'll see if the RFPs for electrification are actually issued and followed through on. I personally believe this hydrail exploration is just an excuse to delay paying for the electrification of hundreds of kilometres of rail.

Metrolinx has stated multiple times that Hydrail is not delaying electrification and that electrification is moving forward at full speed. The Liberals have placed a hard deadline of 2025 for RER to be complete, which means Electrification needs to be tendered relatively quickly.

All the RFPs getting issued this year are more for hard infrastructure though, yes. Station upgrades, trackwork, etc.

I'd be interested if there was an unstudied means of accelerating construction by doing the line in phases. Not the far-off northern and western extensions, but rather the current and official Pape-Osgoode section. Say, put all effort into the Osgoode-Eastern section (while prepping Eastern-Pape), then once done move to the Eastern-Pape using the same crews. The first section could even be operational as a east core shuttle. Would that work, or could it cut lengthy construction times/hassles down? Could something similar have been done with the overly lengthy TYSSE, say Downsview to Steeles all in one, then Steeles to VMC phase2.

I'd be interested if there was an unstudied means of accelerating construction by doing the line in phases. Not the far-off northern and western extensions, but rather the current and official Pape-Osgoode section. Say, put all effort into the Osgoode-Eastern section (while prepping Eastern-Pape), then once done move to the Eastern-Pape using the same crews. The first section could even be operational as a east core shuttle. Would that work, or could it cut lengthy construction times/hassles down? Could something similar have been done with the overly lengthy TYSSE, say Downsview to Steeles all in one, then Steeles to VMC phase2.
This will result in a Don Mills situation if the proper restrictions for cancellation aren’t made. I’m not sure if this will take longer or shorter as a whole, but it would have the “sense” of being completed faster. One problem is getting trains onto the line, as tracks may not be added to the downtown portion of the line to connect to Line 1.

This will result in a Don Mills situation if the proper restrictions for cancellation aren’t made. I’m not sure if this will take longer or shorter as a whole, but it would have the “sense” of being completed faster. One problem is getting trains onto the line, as tracks may not be added to the downtown portion of the line to connect to Line 1.

Probably the biggest tangible problem with making a short temporary shuttle would be that trains are sealed in place during construction, since the line wouldn't be connected at either end. For overnight storage not a huge issue since trains can be kept in stations, tunnels, or tail tracks. But unless a small shop was put in place somewhere on the line the trains couldn't be repaired until the Eastern-Pape section comes online 1-2 years later.

And I can't really picture a Line 4 cut short @ Don Mills situation since the funds for the whole line would be there from Day 1. It's just the construction would be staged differently than what we're used to. I dunno, just an idea in light of recent comments I agree with abt TYSSE's seemingly waaay too long schedule. Feel there could be other benefits too than just reduced timelines. Perhaps less overall traffic severity, and better use of resources/manpower/funds. Rather than a series of multiple construction sites sitting idle for lengthy periods we focus on one section with 90% of all attention, then once done move to the other section for a similar treatment.

Probably the biggest tangible problem with making a short temporary shuttle would be that trains are sealed in place during construction, since the line wouldn't be connected at either end. For overnight storage not a huge issue since trains can be kept in stations, tunnels, or tail tracks. But unless a small shop was put in place somewhere on the line the trains couldn't be repaired until the Eastern-Pape section comes online 1-2 years later.

And I can't really picture a Line 4 cut short @ Don Mills situation since the funds for the whole line would be there from Day 1. It's just the construction would be staged differently than what we're used to. I dunno, just an idea in light of recent comments I agree with abt TYSSE's seemingly waaay too long schedule. Feel there could be other benefits too than just reduced timelines. Perhaps less overall traffic severity, and better use of resources/manpower/funds. Rather than a series of multiple construction sites sitting idle for lengthy periods we focus on one section with 90% of all attention, then once done move to the other section for a similar treatment.
We’re 99% sure that the Relief Line won’t have any track to track connections to Line 1 right? Otherwise, this phasing plan would work (in our eyes).

I'm more inclined to blame the Liberals for making silly, unattainable promises and prematurely declaring victory than for not actioning them. RER is progressing at a modest pace.

ML cannot brag about its project management skills or the pace of construction. Georgetown South is a scandal that should have been, in the sense that scope was clearly cut back as expenses mounted. The EA on double tracking to Kitchener is almost ten years old. The fourth track to Bramalea (and the 401/409 tunnel) is only just getting started. The pace of construction on the Aldershot-West Harbour track construction is laughable. Bowmanville has been.....how many years now?

However - the Eastern Maintenance shop is almost done. Double tracking to Bloomington has been done. Double tracking on Barrie and Stouffville is finally in play, although hardly zooming along. Storage yards have been built and enlarged, and enlarged again. Lakeshore East is gaining momentum with a fourth track to Scarborough and a third track east of Guildwood. Those things will happen, they just will take some more time.

I would say that ML and the Wynne Liberals have been incredibly naive in not understanding how the pieces fit together. It's easy to design pretty stations and say that's progress. Real progress requires more track, not prettier stations. That takes time and technical effort.

The error is the Liberals' publicity machine which makes it sound that it's already here. But - it is coming.

- Paul

You mean that all day service on Barrie and Stouffville? Wait a minute... They have already been implemented.
?
Last Updated Monday, June 12, 2017 7:27PM EDT

The province says all-day GO train service is coming to the Barrie line in the next eight years.

During a news conference on Monday morning, Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca announced the province’s intention to have GO trains running every hour between Union and Allandale Stations by 2025.

The province also intends to run trains between Aurora Station and Union every 15 minutes.
[...]
http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/all-day-go-train-service-coming-to-barrie-line-by-2025-1.3454575

To Barrie, sure. To Aurora? all day GO is apparently very, very soon. My understanding is that they are essentially just waiting for the extra passing track to finish in Vaughan. And there is already all day service on weekends.

We’re 99% sure that the Relief Line won’t have any track to track connections to Line 1 right? Otherwise, this phasing plan would work (in our eyes).

Probably 100% that it won't connect to Line 1 in any way. I've never seen such a thing in official proposals in the past, nor does it seem possible. Then again the Line 2 connection seems to be glossed over quite a bit for the existing proposal. Somewhat O/T but I've envisioned the City buying the small block at the NE corner of Pape/Danforth to build a proper interchange then redevelop overtop.

Back