Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Sorry, I should have realized that the Lieutenant Governnor combs through the resumes and sits on the interview panel.
https://www.pas.gov.on.ca/scripts/en/BoardDetails.asp?boardID=141460
You rather miss the point. Patrick would be proud of you! Btw, I just Googled for the last five minutes, still not a word from your boy on subways.

As to the L-G, he *can't dismiss an appointee without due cause*! You insist on playing this game, so get it right...
Term: A director holds office at pleasure of the Lieutenant Governor in Council for a term determined by the Lieutenant Governor in Council and may be reappointed.
You made a claim, the onus is on you now to show how that appointee can be dismissed before their term is up.

Edit to Add: And here's the Brave Mr Brown blabbing on subways (I'd missed this in my initial search)
Statement from Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown on Toronto City Council’s Support of the Scarborough Subway
July 13, 2016
Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown made the following statement today regarding Toronto City Council’s vote to approve next steps in building the Scarborough Subway:

“I applaud Mayor John Tory and City Council for showing leadership, and voting to get shovels in the ground for an infrastructure project that is critical for the people of Scarborough.

With this important step completed, it is now time for action. We must put shovels in the ground to help alleviate congestion for Scarborough commuters and better connect them to jobs and their families. We urge the City of Toronto and the Government of Ontario to move ahead without further delay.

Scarborough’s infrastructure needs have been ignored for far too long. The Ontario PC Party has always been supportive of subways. The people of Scarborough want subways. Our Ontario PC Candidate for Scarborough-Rouge River, Raymond Cho, supports a subway. Unfortunately, Scarborough-Rouge River remains the forgotten district throughout these transit debates. That is why we support the originally announced Subway extension beyond Scarborough Town Centre, to Sheppard Avenue and McCowan Road.

The people of Scarborough are still waiting for the Scarborough subway the Liberals promised them during the by-election in 2013. Now a subway has been delayed until at least 2026. That’s unacceptable. This is a broken promise for transit in Scarborough-Rouge River that I’d like to see fulfilled.

Unfortunately the Wynne Liberal Government is known for going back on their promises. We are hopeful that this government will honour their commitments and ensure the funding they have promised to the City of Toronto so that this project gets underway, and Scarborough finally gets the subway they deserve.”
https://www.ontariopc.com/News/Details/Statement-from-Ontario-PC-Leader-Patrick-Brown-on-Toronto-City-Council’s-Support-of-the-Scarborough-Subway

But oddly...I can find *no verbal commitment* to funding it if elected! Maybe Toronto can move on hot-air balloons?
"That is why we support the originally announced Subway extension beyond Scarborough Town Centre, to Sheppard Avenue and McCowan Road."

Well at least he makes Trump appear reasonable in comparison.

Last edited:
You rather miss the point. Patrick would be proud of you! Btw, I just Googled for the last five minutes, still not a word from your boy on subways.
Not a huge fan of Brown, but I imagine he will (should) stay quiet for another year. Liberals still have time to steal any ideas that opposition release, so why give it to them (i.e. NDP announced hydro relief and shortly thereafter, Liberals announced same thing). Brown can always say that he can't say what he will do yet, since Wynne is still in the process of making things worse. He can only make promises when he knows he will be in power soon. (although I am not sure he is smart enough to stay quiet).
As to the L-G, he *can't dismiss an appointee without due cause*! You insist on playing this game, so get it right...

You made a claim, the onus is on you now to show how that appointee can be dismissed before their term is up.
Are you saying the L-G dismissed him? That's not what I'm saying.
I am saying that he was moved to the federal side for loyal service. He himself left to get the other job that conveniently was created. Created by the same backroom people who McCuaig worked for in Toronto.

He can only make promises when he knows he will be in power soon.
Is that due to the lack of a spine, or is it cerebral incapacity? What if he makes an idiot out of himself? Whoops...too late.

I am saying that he was moved to the federal side for loyal service.
I'm saying you haven't a clue. If you do, post some reference.

He himself left to get the other job that conveniently was created.
You just stated "I am saying that he was moved". Which is it?

The details aren't even explicit in Bill Curry's excellent piece in the Globe on him and the InfraBank.
Are you saying the L-G dismissed him?
Huh? He resigned his position.

Last edited:
Luckily for us, no municipal agency answers to Mr Tory. They're accountable to 45 politically unaffiliated members of council.

Didn't the planning department run the one-stop subway plan through the mayor's office before it was publicly announced? I'm pretty sure the mayor was directly involved in that one.

Didn't the planning department run the one-stop subway plan through the mayor's office before it was publicly announced? I'm pretty sure the mayor was directly involved in that one.
Indeed, and more. There were also suppressed studies, but beyond that, there's this:
[...]
At one point, Tory asked a resident to speculate on how much faster he could get where we would be going on a line that is not yet built. The resident guessed 15 minutes could be shaved from his commute.

But in a report released in June, city staff said the replacement of the SRT with a one-stop subway could save riders “up to five minutes.”

Asked about that assessment by staff and whether it was responsible for him to ask members of the public to speculate, Tory told reporters:

"Well, I guess, you know it’s funny because we have lots of experts and we get lots of reports from them but actually nothing substitutes for the experiences that people among the public actually have on a day-to-day basis. You can have all the expert reports you want but I think nothing replaces the lived experiences.”
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...-335-billion-one-stop-scarborough-subway.html

The man is completely beyond logic. I have serious quibbles with Il Duce too, but the whole point about McCuaig and the Infrastructure Bank, Crosstown, and P3 is the *second and third party independent oversight* of making a business case. What boggles me time and again, is such a demand should be music to the ears and senses of so-claimed "conservatives". Instead, they recoil from it like vampires from garlic.

Today's TorStar:
Scarborough residents, community groups press province to consider an alternative to subway
Transportation minister says project will proceed without requested comparison of subway to LRT.

By Jennifer PagliaroCity Hall reporter
Mon., April 24, 2017

Community groups, environmental activists and more than 500 residents are calling on Premier Kathleen Wynne to properly study a subway extension in Scarborough in a letter sent to her office Monday.

“We need the province to step in and do this study comparing a one-stop subway with the LRT because Torontonians deserve to know which is the best public transit option for our city and for Scarborough,” Brenda Thompson, a member of the advocacy group Scarborough Transit Action, said in a joint press release including umbrella organization TTCriders.

“It’s never been done, and it’s time to do it.”

And a leading transportation planning expert, Eric Miller, a professor at the University of Toronto whose recent research was cited in the plea to the province, said such a study is “long overdue.”

But at Queen’s Park on Monday, Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca said the province has no plans to order a comparison.

“We remain steadfast in our commitment. We’d like to see this project proceed,” he told the Star. “We look forward to continuing to work with the City of Toronto to make sure that we can get the shovels in the ground as soon as possible.”

Last month, city council rejected a motion from Councillor Josh Matlow to do a business case analysis of the one-stop extension to the Scarborough Town Centre compared to the originally-proposed, seven-stop LRT that would have been fully funded by the province. That comparison, top city officials say, has never been undertaken despite council’s about-face in 2013 or recent changes to the subway plan.

The six-kilometre subway, which is estimated to cost at least $3.35 billion, would eventually replace the aging Scarborough RT. It would be finished in 2026 at the earliest.
[...]
The letter cites a new study from University of Cambridge and University of Toronto researchers, including Miller, that looked at how rail transit projects contribute to a city’s greenhouse gas emissions.
[...]
The letter to Wynne and Murray notes the Scarborough subway extension is only expected to carry 7,300 people during the rush hour in the busiest direction — which is less than half the capacity of an LRT and would leave the subway extension 80 per cent empty during rush hour.

By adding instead of removing access to rapid stations, the LRT would “encourage more dense development along its stops, more jobs and greater walkability,” the letter also says.
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...rovince-to-consider-a-subway-alternative.html

It beggars belief that there's no business case comparison been made. To think that the City is any better at responding to logic and business acumen than the province is more specious than spacious. It's well past time, as stated time and again by independent transit analysts for an independent second and third party analysis of needs, projects, and funding. And by default, in the absence of such a body, an investment based body with funding available will do that.

The DRL could be like a Sydney CityRail line that has subway stop spacing downtown and commuter rail stop spacing beyond, and with double decker trains.
It's a good point to raise, as this parallels the DRL debate in ways, albeit Sydney (or any other modern city) would never be so blind as to do what's being proposed for Toronto's 'answer' to subway congestion:
The New South Wales government has decided to bore smaller sized tunnels on the north-west rail link.

Tenders have been called for the tunnels which are designed to run single deck trains.

They will be too small to fit double-deck trains that are common on the rest of the network.

A transport adviser to the State government, Michelle Zeibots says there's a valid reason behind the decision to bore smaller tunnels for the north-west rail line.

"The type of network that we've had is not the one that's going to be able to cope with the growth that we are seeing in Sydney," she said.

"The results do show that if we look at the single metro style trains in other cities and the hourly or the number of passengers per hour that you can get on and off these lines can be a lot higher than with our Sydney double deckers," she said.

Greens MP Cate Faehrmann says it is a short-sighted move.

"This shuts out options in the future if we need it - if a future government decides to go down a different path say in 30 years they won't be able to put double-decker trains on the north-west rail link," she said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-04/double-decker-debate/4109604
In the event, Paris RER, all five lines, prove the case otherwise, as do a number of other cities using DD coaches in tunnel. A lot has to with the design of the DD coach, including, as Paris does, a third set of doors mid-coach.

Here's how ludicrous using the smaller tunnel has become:
Sydney plans to dismantle rail infrastructure built just 6 years ago (part 1)
By matt
– December 30, 2014Posted in: Australian rail
Contents:

(1) Epping – Chatswood tunnel conversion works proposed
(2) Removal of tracks at Epping and Chatswood
(3) Operational flexibility reduced
(4) Removal of signalling

What can the world learn from Sydney’s future “Infrastructure Hub” established by G20 leaders in Brisbane in November 2014 and promoted in big hype by Australia’s Prime Minister Abbott who wants to become known as “Infrastructure Prime Minister”? Well, read this bizarre story:
[...continues at length with photos, maps, charts, etc...]
http://crudeoilpeak.info/sydney-plans-to-dismantle-rail-infrastructure-built-just-6-years-ago-part-1

Lessons to be learned from this fiasco! (In all fairness, this pertains more to Montreal's present REM situation and the Caisse funding model, than to Toronto, but both must be watched closely)

Last edited:
The DRL could be like a Sydney CityRail line that has subway stop spacing downtown and commuter rail stop spacing beyond, and with double decker trains.

Their system with suburban rail with a downtown tunnel is the exact system also used in Melbourne, Paris's RER, and Berlin's S-Bahn to great success. I do not however agree with double-decker trains. For more frequent stops of a suburban system, the trains are simply to cumbersome and slow when having more frequent stations due to much longer dwell times due to very slow in/boarding unlike single levels used in Melbourne. Double-deckers are ideal for more commuter rail where the vast majority get on and off at one station ie Union. Suburban rail/RER has far more people getting on/off at all stations throughout the system as they are essentially subways with fewer stops.

Back