Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

[QUOTE="iRT)
--------------------------

All those bus commuters listed above would otherwise be transferring at Line 1, where North York residents already on the Yonge subway would then have to deal with sharing cramped standing room with (because lets face it, York Region commuters already took all the seating room at Finch). And finally, any Relief Line is of course a pre-requisite to any Yonge North extension.

Why should there be a North Extension? Subway is for Toronto not RichmonHill not beyond
Vaughan extension through Spadina should not have happened either[/QUOTE]

1. The world doesn't end at Steeles.
2. The Relief Line extension north is needed with or without the Yonge North Subway Extension.

We may have to start thinking regionally rather than locally in the future, even if it makes us Torontonians uneasy.

That being said, an extension to Newtonbrook Plaza and Steeles within the municipal borders is definitely warranted, probably more so than any other transit project after the Relief Line.
i am fine with this as long as its not north of Steeles

It does if you live in Toronto
And don't happen to be one of the many 100,000s of Torontonians who work in the 905. :p

You know, people used to say the same about Bloor, or Eglinton. I think 905 travel is best suited for GO-RER rather than subway, but at least the planned mobility hub at Langstaff GO presents a good final terminus for the Yonge subway. I just don't want Toronto to fund any of it north of Steeles.

And don't happen to be one of the many 100,000s of Torontonians who work in the 905. :p

You know, people used to say the same about Bloor, or Eglinton. I think 905 travel is best suited for GO-RER rather than subway, but at least the planned mobility hub at Langstaff GO presents a good final terminus for the Yonge subway. I just don't want Toronto to fund any of it north of Steeles.
Langstaff Go as a final terminus for the Yonge Subway. You really believe this? There will be no cry to expand it further North? And as someone else noted, most of the riders that get on at Finch come from York. Does this mean they are driving and parking near by? Does Finch subway have parking? If yes, get rid of the parking there and build a condo or office tower. People that live in York will need to take GO. Its because of the flat $3.00 TTC fare that they drive enmass to a TTC subway and park and take TTC

Took the pseudo SmartTrack today (AKA UPX), because it was free, from Weston to Union. Unfortunately, wanted to go to the Eaton Centre this Saturday. The DRL needs to be north of Union Station, like City Hall, especially on weekends. Unless going to SkyDome (AKA Rogers Centre) or Air Canada Centre, it would be better suited for the DRL not to add to the crowds pouring into and out of Union Station.

Langstaff Go as a final terminus for the Yonge Subway. You really believe this? There will be no cry to expand it further North? And as someone else noted, most of the riders that get on at Finch come from York. Does this mean they are driving and parking near by? Does Finch subway have parking? If yes, get rid of the parking there and build a condo or office tower. People that live in York will need to take GO. Its because of the flat $3.00 TTC fare that they drive enmass to a TTC subway and park and take TTC

It does have parking. But the riders that get on a Finch are mostly from a bus. There is a major bus terminal at Finch for both TTC and YRT. If I would take a guess by mode:

60% TTC Bus
15% York Bus
15% walk-on
5% - drop-off (they better not remove this...love the design)
<5% parking

The other issue with this parking is that it is in the hydro corridor so it's this or a grassy field...no redevelopment opportunity.

That being said there are lots of streets which are in greater need of higher order transit than Yonge north of Steeles. The only reason I see is a connection to the GO line (but at what financial cost?)

It does have parking. But the riders that get on a Finch are mostly from a bus. There is a major bus terminal at Finch for both TTC and YRT. If I would take a guess by mode:

60% TTC Bus
15% York Bus
15% walk-on
5% - drop-off (they better not remove this...love the design)
<5% parking
It is a good design, but not a particularly efficient one, so long as Finch station remains the Yonge subway terminus.

Though, the same could be said about Finch station in general. :oops:

That being said there are lots of streets which are in greater need of higher order transit than Yonge north of Steeles. The only reason I see is a connection to the GO line (but at what financial cost?)

Well, Markham, Vaughan and Richmond Hill are planning most of their growth at this future transit hub. And that transit hub is not just the GO line, it is also the VIVA buses too.

You're right. There'll probably be cries to extend it north to Major Mackenzie or even to Bernard Terminal. Of course by then, you'd also need parallel express-only tracks to the YUS subway south of Finch.

Langstaff Go as a final terminus for the Yonge Subway. You really believe this? There will be no cry to expand it further North?
If you look at the design for the vehicle storage in the tunnels north of Langstaff, they take into account the potential future placement of a 16th Avenue subway station.

Looks like the current thinking is that future phases extend to Bloor West in the east, and Don Mills/Sheppard in the west, based on the upcoming presentation from the city:

Reading through Ed Levy's book, it is interesting that many of the older models of the Queen Subway/Relief Line show it going to Queensway to just north of Humber Bay. Seems like the idea of bringing it north to Bloor is an idea that emerged from the past two decades.

Looks like the current thinking is that future phases extend to Bloor West in the east, and Don Mills/Sheppard in the west, based on the upcoming presentation from the city:

There is no way the entire RL will be built or even funded "within the next 15 years", along with several of these other transit lines. But nice map though!

Back