Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Not a surprise with the Yonge subway closed after Davisville investigation fire this morning during rush hour, followed by three emergency alarms (at Lawrence, Eglinton, and Wellesley).

I always figure it's quicker to just walk down Yonge during this kind of thing.

This is the current problem - there is absolutely no excess capacity - so if you lose Yonge for 45-minutes in rush-hour, it takes a long time, to move everyone, and get things running again.

Which is why we need DRL now.

Quite odd how you did not choose to walk

That's like blaming the victim - at issue here is lack of alternate routes/capacity, not whether one can walk from Davisville to Union.

But what is the earliest we could see shovels in the ground?

Expedite it? It certainly won't be built if we keep on twiddle daddling on one's thumbs as we had been doing the past what 30 years?

AoD

Last edited:
That's like blaming the victim - at issue here is lack of alternate routes/capacity, not whether one can walk from Davisville to Union.

Absolutely not! All I am saying is instead of just standing there waiting for the 3rd, 4th or 5th train, one could (if there are able to) move to Plan B (walk to their destination or to University Avenue, taxi, etc.)

Would DRL really help things like this morning though? I'm all for relief line obviously, but I would've thought such massive delays would bring down the Yonge line whether relief line is there or not.

I'd think things like, platform doors to prevent the original fire would help situations like this morning.

Also, should they be more restrictive on passenger alarms somehow during rush hour?

Would DRL really help things like this morning though? I'm all for relief line obviously, but I would've thought such massive delays would bring down the Yonge line whether relief line is there or not.

I'd think things like, platform doors to prevent the original fire would help situations like this morning.

Also, should they be more restrictive on passenger alarms somehow during rush hour?

Yes, it would help. People from the west end can still use University Line to get downtown, and people from the east end can still use the Relief Line to get downtown, while people near Yonge can divert to either University or Relief Line.

You can't necessarily prevent any subway lines from being brought down - what you can do is provide another route for people to travel such that you can at least mitigate the impact. I am quite confident that the PAA is a cascade effect of overcongestion as a result of the shutdown itself.

I think we are well past the point of trying to squeeze every drop out of Yonge as a way of putting off a decision on RL. It's time for the decision makers, and by extension the people themselves to do they have to do - make difficult and costly decisions just like their forebears did.

AoD

Last edited:
Reactions: PL1
No one said anything about walking from Davisville to Union. The other poster was going from Bloor/Yonge to Adelaide/Sherbourne which could be walked in less than 45 minutes even if you're a slow walker.

No one said anything about walking from Davisville to Union. The other poster was going from Bloor/Yonge to Adelaide/Sherbourne which could be walked in less than 45 minutes even if you're a slow walker.

That's quibble - of course one "can", the question is whether one should, or even better, whether this is represent a case of diminished expectations of what the transit system should be able to deliver. If the response to every outage is you can walk because your origin and destination is in downtown - you'd never see the need to get anything built.

AoD

That's quibble - of course one "can", the question is whether one should, or even better, whether this is represent a case of diminished expectations of what the transit system should be able to deliver. If the response to every outage is you can walk because your origin and destination is in downtown - you'd never see the need to get anything built.

AoD
Well, I am the type of person who doesn't really take the TTC unless my trip is at least 5km. I wouldn't take the TTC from from Bloor/Yonge to Adelaide/Sherbourne regardless of if there were subway issues or not, unless it was bitterly cold. I could bike the distance faster than the TTC even if it was running optimally.

Expedite it? It certainly won't be built if we keep on twiddle daddling on one's thumbs as we had been doing the past what 30 years?

AoD
Poor muffins. My commute is routinely over an hour even though I could spit and hit the CN Tower - yet when I raise these concerns within UT, I'm told I'd be better off biking.

Can't say I have much sympathy for the poor snowflakes and their crowded subway.

You can't necessarily prevent any subway lines from being brought down - what you can do is provide another route for people to travel such that you can at least mitigate the impact. I am quite confident that the PAA is a cascade effect of overcongestion as a result of the shutdown itself.

From what I've seen on social media, that's exactly what happened. There was an initial delay, then some passengers panicked or had a medal emergency in response and pressed the PAA.

Well, I am the type of person who doesn't really take the TTC unless my trip is at least 5km. I wouldn't take the TTC from from Bloor/Yonge to Adelaide/Sherbourne regardless of if there were subway issues or not, unless it was bitterly cold. I could bike the distance faster than the TTC even if it was running optimally.

I needed to get to the office. Had I known Yonge was a mess I would have taken the train to Sherbourne and then taken the bus. Of course I could have walked but that wasn't part of the plan. I would have left earlier had I planned to work. My point here is Yonge/Bloor is getting increasingly packed and this morning proves that the DRL is required ASAP.

Back