Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

We won't be needing Wilson access once we build a yard in York Region when Yonge North is built.

Now, there's an interesting cost comparison....extend Sheppard Subway from Yonge to Spadina, and minimally enlarge Wilson, versus build a whole new yard somewhere. One could argue that the net difference (a new yard isn't *that* expensive) is a cheaper costing subway. Wonder if Wilson is big enough....

- Paul

Might as well sell it to Ikea. Worlds biggest furniture shuttle service.
Ottawa is planning an LRT station across the highway from their giant Ikea store. In contrast to Toronto's Ikea station, it will be a couple of platforms, perhaps a shelter or two, and an overpass over the highway. And it's just on one of the two branches of the extension. But I think the branch may still have higher peak ridership than Sheppard.

Well I'm pretty sure when the rest of the ikea Canadian tire site is fully developed then both Canadian tire and Ikea will be getting torn down for some more condos.

Now, there's an interesting cost comparison....extend Sheppard Subway from Yonge to Spadina, and minimally enlarge Wilson, versus build a whole new yard somewhere. One could argue that the net difference (a new yard isn't *that* expensive) is a cheaper costing subway. Wonder if Wilson is big enough....

- Paul

We need a new yard along the Yonge North Subway Extension regardless of if the DRL is built. The way Line 1's yard access is set up now, it is really difficult to get our trains to and from Wilson Yard and the Yonge Line to enter and exist service as needed. A new yard on Yonge along the YNSE extension is needed to mitigate these challenges.

Expanding the new Yonge North yard to accommodate both Line 1 and DRL will have a minimal cost compared to extending Line 4 west to Downsview and expanding Wilson Yard. We're probably looking at additional costs of tens or, at most, hundreds of millions for the Yonge yard, while accessing and expanding Wilson would cost billions.

Last edited:
I'd hope the subways are half-full during off-peak. If they were full during off-peak there would be no room for the peak demand.

it is hardly "half full", most like 20% full of peak.
During the weekends, I am always guaranteed a seat traveling from Queen to St Clair. West bound BD during PM peak hours is more like "half full" - I often can grab a seat connecting at Bloor/Yonge, and it is never too crowded.

Even if the new yard is more expensive, I'd prefer the TTC get one. Having 50% of the total fleet (80%+ of the TRs) come out of Wilson will cause extreme pain when something goes wrong at Wilson (explosion, fire, power outage, ...). 2 connections at Wilson is an improvement but not really sufficient to derisk a single massive yard.

Even if the new yard is more expensive, I'd prefer the TTC get one. Having 50% of the total fleet (80%+ of the TRs) come out of Wilson will cause extreme pain when something goes wrong at Wilson (explosion, fire, power outage, ...). 2 connections at Wilson is an improvement but not really sufficient to derisk a single massive yard.

I wondered about that, too. Doesn't seen all that wise to have every train that ends its day at Steeles backtrack all the way down to Union and north to Wilson. Even Davisville is a fair ways away. Still, how many additional trains will be required if/when the line extends to Steeles? It can't be more than a half dozen - are we talking a maintenance facility or just a storage yard similar to Keele on Line 2?

If Line 1 is pushed north from Steeles that adds more trains. A full yard will be justified. Is a single yard for both Line 1 and the Relief Line feasible, without building a significant chunk of connecting trackage?

- Paul

Here is an old Steve Munro post about the Yonge Subway Yard Study;

Finding a New Yard for YUS

A full maintenance and storage yard would require 10 hectares (25 acres) of land, while a storage-only yard would need 4 hectares (10 acres). Property of this size is not available in the Yonge corridor.

The TTC foresees the need to acquire an existing industrial property where a new subway yard would not disrupt surrounding businesses or residents.

The proposed 14 train storage and cleaning facility at Richmond Hill is expected to be underground and mainly on lands now in the public sector. The report shows a diagram of a track layout for this scheme, but not a site plan.

Back