News   Apr 24, 2024
 530     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 720     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 521     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

According the the people I talked to from tConet they said Iphones take the longest to cont to it and that Androids are generally faster. Most of the time I have no problem connecting to it quick enough for apps to send stuff through or for part of a youtube video to upload.
As someone who has to carry an iPhone and a BB10, I would agree that the BB10 tends to get connected faster. There are coverage holes at some stops though where you pretty much have to stick your phone out of the door to hope to acquire a signal before the door closes.

The shame about the 510 is that it could be used as somewhat of a relief for the University line, but since both Transportation Services and the TTC insist on crippling streetcar service in this city, it's not even close to a priority.

This is a result of two problems.

1. Suburban pro-single-occupant automobile Councillors, who worship the car above transit, bicycles, and pedestrians. Which is why we continue to see left-turning single-occupant cars get priority before a full streetcar (or bus).
  2. The NIMBYs who refuse to give up walking one block to the next streetcar or bus stop, even though it would speed up public transit. Especially, when there are four doors available on the new streetcars, with the rear most door being 30 m (98 feet) from the front door.

The NIMBYs who refuse to give up walking one block to the next streetcar or bus stop, even though it would speed up public transit. Especially, when there are four doors available on the new streetcars, with the rear most door being 30 m (98 feet) from the front door.

That's the very reason why I'm vary of the surface LRTs in this city. The stop spacing is too prone to NIMBY manipulation and its politicians love to advertise projects with as many number of stops as possible.

That's the very reason why I'm vary of the surface LRTs in this city. The stop spacing is too prone to NIMBY manipulation and its politicians love to advertise projects with as many number of stops as possible.
Though I completely agree that there are sometimes too many stops on surface routes, there are many people who use transit who really cannot walk too far due to health or age reasons. The TTC has phased-out quite a few streetcar stops, despite the inevitable NIMBYism.

New York governor declares state of emergency for NYC subway system

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the dismal performance of the system was no longer acceptable.

From Star.

New York governor declares state of emergency for NYC subway system

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the dismal performance of the system was no longer acceptable.

From Star.

You forgot the link. (Select the word or words, make it "stand out" by clicking on the B (bold) and the U (underline), click on the "chain", and copy-and-paste the htmtl website.)

My impression was that it still had obscenely frequently spaced stops, that it really did spent more time stopping than moving, and that the dive & loop at St Clair West wasted about 4-6 minutes each time and costed billions to the economy in productivity.

I'm not sure how someone can get "the impression" of an economic calculation, but regardless, the number of people who travel through St. Clair West (rather than getting off/on there) is small, and whatever benefit there is from getting rid of the loop would be negated by more people taking the Yonge Subway instead of University and worse service on the route (since the loop can be used to control spacing between streetcars).

Was on the 510 heading to see the duck this morning. Cars were standing room as people also heading to the Jays. Haven't been on a 510 south of King in who knows how long.

Observations:
  • the current Spadina Station stop-unload-move-load-wait-go takes a long time and clogs up the loop - stepback crewing would keep things moving
  • Holy crap the south to east wait time for the Spadina signals at Queens Quay is appalling!

Ttc should think about alphabetising their subway entrances especially in dt. Yesterday was just pure chaos in terms of meeting up with people in the subway stops because signage was poor and people just had difficulty getting a point of reference. Here's an example of what Tokyo has at their stations

2csc3cz.jpg

Not only will this make it people to navigate around but it will improve loading patterns as people will know which car to be in to optimize their travel distance when they get off. These small touches is what really makes or breaks a good system

Last edited:
Ttc should think about alphabetising their subway entrances especially in dt.

Not only will this make it people to navigate around but it will improve loading patterns as people will know which car to be in to optimize their travel distance when they get off. These small touches is what really makes or breaks a good system
It's a good idea and probably fairly easy to implement but I think it is really not a priority for 'today'. The TTC needs to get the new gates installed, the PRESTO system working properly and deal with major things like proper route management and getting the 'collectors' redeployed before 'nice but not essential' things like better marked subway entrances.

It's a good idea and probably fairly easy to implement but I think it is really not a priority for 'today'. The TTC needs to get the new gates installed, the PRESTO system working properly and deal with major things like proper route management and getting the 'collectors' redeployed before 'nice but not essential' things like better marked subway entrances.

fair enough, hopefully they will consider implementing this in the medium term. It really is a cheap but very effective way to simplify and aid in navigation. Maybe they can do this for the underground sections of the ECT (provided theres multiple stairs and exits for their stations)

I was down on the Queensway today and grabbed a couple shots of the progress on the 501 track replacement.

Most of the activity to date has been on the Humber Bridge, which appears to be coming along nicely. Notices about upcoming construction on Lake Shore west of Humber Loop have just gone out to adjacent neighbourhoods. It's still early days for the streetcar portion of this project.

What grabbed my non-engineer's eye is that the excavation of the old trackbed went fairly deep. I guess that means they are hoping to stabilise the subgrade and make it last a little longer. That's good news - there is hope that this track will be capable of a little more speed, and will have fewer emerging slow orders, than in the past. Maybe with the right traffic priority, it will deserve to be considered LRT quality one day.

- Paul

20170702 TTC Queensway 1.jpg
20170702 TTC Queensway 2.jpg
20170702 TTC Queensway 3.jpg

Attachments

• 20170702 TTC Queensway 1.jpg
    20170702 TTC Queensway 1.jpg
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 407
  • 20170702 TTC Queensway 2.jpg
    20170702 TTC Queensway 2.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 378
  • 20170702 TTC Queensway 3.jpg
    20170702 TTC Queensway 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 387
What grabbed my non-engineer's eye is that the excavation of the old trackbed went fairly deep. I guess that means they are hoping to stabilise the subgrade and make it last a little longer. That's good news - there is hope that this track will be capable of a little more speed, and will have fewer emerging slow orders, than in the past. Maybe with the right traffic priority, it will deserve to be considered LRT quality one day.

- Paul

View attachment 113771 View attachment 113772 View attachment 113773

As they are replacing the ballasted track with TTC's standardized slab track, they need to go that far down in order to pour the base layer.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Sure those systems appear to have tons of delays when you initially look at the numbers, but the only way to truly compare if if you had stats of the number of delays each system had relative to the amount of passengers it serves, and to the amount of passenger kilometer traveled
Such data is readily available. New York has more passengers than Toronto, but they have where near 28 more times passengers!! Closer to 2.8 times more passengers. It's a huge difference.

Not sure how the frequency of TTC strikes is a function of ridersihp.

Back