News   Apr 24, 2024
 27     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 237     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 560     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

According the the people I talked to from tConet they said Iphones take the longest to cont to it and that Androids are generally faster. Most of the time I have no problem connecting to it quick enough for apps to send stuff through or for part of a youtube video to upload.

I have an iPhone 6 so maybe that's why. I basically don't have any internet access for my entire TTC trip unless we're held at a station for a crew changeover.

I have an iPhone 6 so maybe that's why. I basically don't have any internet access for my entire TTC trip unless we're held at a station for a crew changeover.

Yup, I can confirm the same - iPhone tend to be slow connecting to TC (or public networks in general). Because of that I generally find the wifi not very useful given what I have.

AoD

Why should New Yorkers be complaining about their subway, when Torontoians are already complaining about their subway?

See link.

Slower Subways Will Cost New Yorkers $1.4 Billion This Year
New Yorkers are already paying for Cuomo's deteriorating MTA in the form of lost time, increased pollution, and poorer health.

By denying responsibility for his transit system,” Brad Aaron wrote here last Friday, Governor Andrew Cuomo “is perpetuating a charade that has real consequences for New Yorkers.” That’s for sure. But can we express those consequences in dollars and cents? Can we estimate how much the ongoing degradation of transit service is costing us?

I believe we can. I’ve made a calculation of the cost of slower subways, and the number I’ve come up with, expressed on an annual basis, is $1.4 billion a year.

Most of that represents lost time — straphangers’ time waiting on platforms and inside stalled and slowed trains, of course, but also drivers’ time as wretched subway service motivates more driving, further worsening road congestion. And with more vehicles come environmental costs: more tailpipe emissions, and fewer opportunities for New Yorkers to safely walk and bike...

Slower-Subways-Cost-New-Yorkers-1.4-Billion-a-year-_-26-June-2017.png

There's no other way in doing so. The distance between the hotspot and the phone has to remain almost the same. There are other specification of WiFi that could be used for an antenna to talk to a moving trains' hotspot. Even if they were to use cell data tech, BAI would be the carrier and the hotspot would have a special SIM that talks to the tunnel antenna which would probably be connected to fiber cables BAI would install themselves. Use of the third rail won't work. Everything is wrong with using the third rail. There's just too much noise with a 600 VDC going through them. Besides why would TTC even allow a third party to connect something to their equipment. Everything between TTC and BAI are separated. BAI still owns their equipment.

forget about the problem with connecting to TC...just get LTE reception down to track level. it shouldnt be that difficult if Montreal (let alone most of the metro cities) can do it.
i think it once again is boiling down to politics and who pays for what....

Could somebody please fix the stupid signals between Kennedy and VP? They seem to malfunction so many times during the course of a year.

Last edited:
What would have made a better 150th birthday gift to Canada than a separate Express Yonge tunnel from R-Hill to Union. (A gift to, Canada because our CBD is the country's engine, brain, cultural nexus and money tree. The better it functions, the better the people toiling away there function, the better the country works. ;-)

Maybe it'll be ready for Canada's bicentennial--if Toronto hasn't become some kind of dysfunctional dystopia by then, with drone driving uber mercenaries airlifing the .1% to their PH offices and homes,
Here. Here.

Here's an article from the Chicago Tribune comparing transit in Toronto and Chicago from their perspective:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-toronto-transit-getting-around-20160619-column,amp.html

Despite having fewer rail lines and stations, Toronto's public transit ridership has seen years of steady passenger growth — up 15 percent from 2008 to 2015, while the CTA's is down 1.6 percent over the same period. With 2.7 million daily boardings compared with the CTA's 1.6 million, the Toronto Transit Commission, or TTC, has become the busiest system in North America, after New York City and Mexico City.

TTC also is getting billions in capital dollars from the province of Ontario for service expansion, while Springfield lacks a current capital program. The entire Toronto region is undergoing a transit revolution and offers an example of what can be done for transit, if the political will and money are available.

Unlike Illinois, which has no current capital plan because of the state budget impasse, Ontario has committed $8.4 billion in support of new transit in Toronto. The province is putting $31.5 billion in capital investments over 10 years to build an integrated provincial transportation network. The total package includes improvements to roads and bridges and to the frequency of GO trains — Toronto's equivalent to Metra.

In contrast, the CTA needs $13 billion over the next 10 years to keep its much older system in a state of good repair. Its last all-new line, the Orange Line, opened in 1993.

Despite being in its own ROW, this route spends more time stopped than actually moving.

It's just terrible design and conflicting priorities. So many near-side stops where signal priority, even if it were activated, would be useless. Then there are stop sequences like Sussex - Harbord - Willcocks, where there are literally less than 100 meters between stops - less than the difference between University Avenue and the Simcoe Street stops that were removed on the 504. And the other problem is that the city uses traffic light timing to effectively restrict speeds on some streets, which conflicts with signal priority that could extend green lights for approaching streetcars on Spadina.

It's just terrible design and conflicting priorities. So many near-side stops where signal priority, even if it were activated, would be useless. Then there are stop sequences like Sussex - Harbord - Willcocks, where there are literally less than 100 meters between stops - less than the difference between University Avenue and the Simcoe Street stops that were removed on the 504. And the other problem is that the city uses traffic light timing to effectively restrict speeds on some streets, which conflicts with signal priority that could extend green lights for approaching streetcars on Spadina.

St Clair Streetcar suffers from the same problem. ROW without proper supporting mechanisms is completely useless.

The shame about the 510 is that it could be used as somewhat of a relief for the University line, but since both Transportation Services and the TTC insist on crippling streetcar service in this city, it's not even close to a priority.

St Clair Streetcar suffers from the same problem. ROW without proper supporting mechanisms is completely useless.

St. Clair is actually designed properly. It's by far the fastest streetcar route, and just as fast as all the midtown, east end and west end bus routes. It doesn't get up to the same speed as the main bus routes in North York, Scarborough and Etobicoke, but I don't think any streetcar could - those inner suburb routes are only fast because there are fewer traffic lights.

St. Clair is actually designed properly. It's by far the fastest streetcar route, and just as fast as all the midtown, east end and west end bus routes. It doesn't get up to the same speed as the main bus routes in North York, Scarborough and Etobicoke, but I don't think any streetcar could - those inner suburb routes are only fast because there are fewer traffic lights.

I lived at Dufferin and St Clair Dufferin for a year and rode the streetcar east about 20-30 times before swearing off of it due to extreme frustration. My impression was that it still had obscenely frequently spaced stops, that it really did spent more time stopping than moving, and that the dive & loop at St Clair West wasted about 4-6 minutes each time and costed billions to the economy in productivity.

Back