News   Apr 24, 2024
 963     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Yes, there was some reference to that, but the ATU takeover doesn't strike me as particularly legitimate or democratic (as much as I am glad the current leaders got swept away)

AoD

Imagine if you were planning to leave your work for a competitor. Just before you left you downloaded all of the sales data and were planning to take your computer as well. Your employer is in their right to kick you out without all of this stuff and lock the doors behind you (and they can have a security guard watch over you while you collect your personal items the next day).

Local 113 is a branch office of a parent union. No different. The entire group was planning to quit and work with another company. Why should the ATU permit them to take anything with them? (and to collect salaries while trying to leave)

The ethical thing for Kinnear to do was to quit and then figure out how to connect with each employee to have them agree to switch. Not to collect a salary from the ATU while he tries to leave them.

Sounded like he was bitter that he didn't get elected to the US Executive.

And from the ATU:
http://www.atu.org/media/releases/a...nion-president-after-failed-breakaway-attempt

Does anyone know the whole story on Kinnear? In 2015 he was going to retire. Then he sent a mass letter out to say he was not retiring (2015). Then he ran and won (2015). Then a person filed a complaint that he illegally campaigned (the letter saying he was running again violated the election rules). The ATU agreed with this complaint (2016) and ordered another election. Did he win the new election?

When was he rejected for the VP rule at the ATU?

Now the majority of senior people in the union have said they did not support him. Was it linked to all of the above?

Those who want to go to Mark III aka Skytrain, should talk to the folks in BC about their system. In fact, Montreal should rethink going this route, as they would become the 8th system world wide and they get get more snow than BC. We thought the SRT was bad.

One person wife took her 4 hours to get home a few days ago when it went down in place of her normal 35 minute travel time.

Canada Line Ka-Put For Evning Rush! Again! – CEO Kevin Desmond Must Resign!

Last edited:
Those who want to go to Mark III aka Skytrain, should talk to the folks in BC about their system. In fact, Montreal should rethink going this route, as they would become the 8th system world wide and they get get more snow than BC. We thought the SRT was bad.

One person wife took her 4 hours to get home a few days ago when it went down in place of her normal 35 minute travel time.

Canada Line Ka-Put For Evning Rush! Again! – CEO Kevin Desmond Must Resign!

You're confusing Skytrain technologies.

1) The Canada Line does not use linear induction technology. It uses traditional third rail subway technology that is found on the TTC's Lines 1, 2, 4.
The Expo & Millennium line uses linear induction technology similar to TTC's Line 3.

2) Montreal's LRT won't be using third rail or linear induction tech either. They will be using catenary overhead wires like TTC's Line 5.

I always assumed you were a transit expert lol.
I do agree linear induction technology sucks and should not be used in snowy environments though

You're confusing Skytrain technologies.

1) The Canada Line does not use linear induction technology. It uses traditional third rail subway technology that is found on the TTC's Lines 1, 2, 4.
The Expo & Millennium line uses linear induction technology similar to TTC's Line 3.

2) Montreal's LRT won't be using third rail or linear induction tech either. They will be using catenary overhead wires like TTC's Line 5.

I always assumed you were a transit expert lol.
I do agree linear induction technology sucks and should not be used in snowy environments though
I am not a transit expert by a mile and got things confused doing to much at one time.

Its my understanding that Montreal will be using linear induction based on comments by locals in the know, as well supporting BBD and SNC-Lavalin, since Quebec is home base for them.

We know what issues TTC had for 3rd rail outside and what they did to deal with it and surprise BC hasn't learn from Toronto issues.

Its my understanding that Montreal will be using linear induction based on comments by locals in the know, as well supporting BBD and SNC-Lavalin, since Quebec is home base for them.

Skip to 01:12

Chosen specifically to deal with the "harsh winters". I think they're well aware of the limitations of linear induction in the snow.

Skip to 01:12

Chosen specifically to deal with the "harsh winters". I think they're well aware of the limitations of linear induction in the snow.

Technically they never stated in that video they weren't using linear induction.

You could make a linear induction system with catenary, it would just require double lines like with electric trolly buses.

However, I dont think they are using LIM, but i'm just staying that using catenary would not stop it from being LIM.

Technically they never stated in that video they weren't using linear induction.

You could make a linear induction system with catenary, it would just require double lines like with electric trolly buses.

However, I dont think they are using LIM, but i'm just staying that using catenary would not stop it from being LIM.
One of the major problems of LIM as bought from Krauss-Maffei for UTDC (and later abandoned by K-M) was *attractive* induction. It jammed, and unlike repulsive propulsion, was not self limiting to gapping. Repulsive, by its very nature, allows the opposing field to find its own distance (gravity alone balances that). If some form of restraint is used, then the field doesn't weaken to the point of losing too much forward propulsion. This is the modern way of implementing LIM.

For better or worse, here's some interesting history on the point: (Note the claim for snow and ice resilience)
[...]
After a year-long selection process, GO selected the Krauss-Maffei Transurban maglev as the preferred solution. As a maglev, the system would be silent, addressing concerns about noise on elevated portions of the track. Additionally, the system's linear induction motor did not require physical contact for traction, which meant it would run with equal capacity in snow or icy conditions. Krauss-Maffei agreed to do all vehicle construction in Ontario, and allow the local office to handle all sales efforts in North America - a stipulation most US companies were not willing to agree to. Local testing, construction and sales were centralized in the newly created "Ontario Transportation Development Corporation" (OTDC).[5]

Construction of a test track on the grounds of the Canadian National Exhibition started in late 1975, but shortly after this Krauss-Maffei announced that development funding provided by the German government was ending. Ontario was not willing to continue funding development of the system on their own, and cancelled the maglev plans.[5] [...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Innovia_Metro

The story is a bit more complicated than that, but it was known very early on that *attractive* propulsion had serious drawbacks. In the event, Ontario was not in a position to develop Maglev, let alone LIM, attractive or repulsive. Maglev is still contentious, albeit the Chinese have made *some* strides in implementing the German developed technology. Unfortunately, the Chinese have not met needed specs to make it reliable. Yet...

This was the first time seeing these digital destination signs on the sides of trains. What's the timeline on these becoming operational?

IMG_20170211_134509.jpg

IMG_20170211_134525.jpg

Back