News   Apr 25, 2024
 144     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

They only dig within the property line. What services would there be there to disturb?

The services for adjacent buildings are in the road right-of-way. They wouldn't be disturbed.

Ok, that makes sense. I thought that overtime old sewer lines or such could end up not being where they ought to be but if it all goes to the road right-of-way then it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the explanation.

Services don't (or shouldn't) pass through the building footprint, but there is another problem that I've never received an answer to. As the photo above shows, the shoring is supported by ground anchors (the cables that we see protruding into the excavation from the face of the shoring). Outside the shoring, these anchors -- each of which is a group of about 7 high tensile steel wires -- extend about 15m into the ground. In effect, the excavation is like a buried porcupine. These tendons remain in the ground for all time, and so will obstruct any potential underground excavation in the adjacent streets. With these obstructions, will it be possible to undertake tunnelling or excavate subway station entrances near to these basement excavations? Given the number of these basement excavations in the downtown core, does their presence effectively prevent construction of any new subsurface infrastructure in the area?

Statement by TTC on union matter

February 3, 2017

The affairs of the TTC's largest local union (Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 113) and its international parent are unrelated to TTC management or decisions of TTC management. The TTC is working to ensure this matter has no impact on service. The collective agreements between the TTC and its unions remain in place.

The TTC will offer no further comment on this internal union matter.

Internal union politics.

Kinnear can go suck a lemon, as far as I'm concerned. (That's the family-friendly version.)

I still have memories of the 2006 illegal wildcat strike, as well as the 2008 strike in which he blamed "angry and irrational" TTC passengers for breaking the promise to give 48 hours' notice before walking out, stranding thousands.

Agreed, though I am curious as to what the intentions are.

AoD

I heard that ATU Local 113 was looking to leave ATU, possibly joining another labour union. Unifor (formerly CAW) represents a few transit workers' locals in Canada (Grand River Transit comes to mind), and CUPE represents TTC special constables and fare inspectors.

Well SOME has certainly been done and some appears to be happening in (slow) motion. I know King best where they say:

King Street East:

• The eastbound stop to the east of Ontario Street will be removed and relocated to the pedestrian crossover to the west of Ontario Street
  • The westbound stop at Victoria Street will be removed given the close proximity to adjacent stops
Last summer they built new ramps etc at the (proposed) Ontario eastbound stop. A few months ago they removed the shelter from the (soon to be moved)stop. Of course, they have not actually moved the stop SIGN so you now have streetcars continuing to stop at a shelter-less stop and the ramp from the sidewalk is about 100 yards away!

The westbound stop at Victoria WAS closed but it took them months to get Astral to remove the shelter so one always saw angry customers there shaking their fists at streetcars that had not stopped. (They occasionally put up rather small signs saying the stop had 'closed' but so many stops have little STOP signage that people see a shelter and assume it's also a stop.

Last edited:

Back