News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 755     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The elusive fare inspectors were on my 504 (actually a 510 entering service) today. The pair boarded at Sherbourne. After several minutes of looking around, one person was randomly asked to produce a pass or transfer by one of the inspectors. The other inspector was busy on his phone, and wearing earbuds, presumably listening to music. I was never asked to show anything. They did not ask people boarding to produce any proof of payment (though most were visibly using presto). They exited at Yonge and disappeared into the subway.

yup I've been arguing on twitter with some guy who works for the TTC. All he keeps saying is that it will lead to accidents and links to news stories about things happening in other cities that have ATO and OTP.

I think I've been arguing with the same guy. He hasn't argued back since I said he was trolling though

Probably wants to reintroduce the flagman walking in front of all horseless carriages.

redflag_large.jpg

HCE_RedFlag.jpg

The elusive fare inspectors were on my 504 (actually a 510 entering service) today. The pair boarded at Sherbourne. After several minutes of looking around, one person was randomly asked to produce a pass or transfer by one of the inspectors. The other inspector was busy on his phone, and wearing earbuds, presumably listening to music. I was never asked to show anything. They did not ask people boarding to produce any proof of payment (though most were visibly using presto). They exited at Yonge and disappeared into the subway.

The TTC's approach to fare enforcement is oddly lackadaisical. I pretty much only see them standing at the streetcar platform in Spadina, and people have of course caught on to this and exit at Sussex instead. In Ottawa they would patrol most busy routes all day long, check every passenger and usually find at least one person to fine.

Every streetcar route except 512 will be detoured or closed for Waterfront Marathon tomorrow. 511 Bathurst will be closed entirely. This is not acceptable. Signs are everywhere in the TTC, though there are ought to be announcements on the PA system like there were for the TIFF King streetcar closure.

This is not acceptable
Nothing is unacceptable in Toronto. We're talking about the same city that closes long sections of roads for reconstruction/resurfacing for weeks and months at a time; than once re-opened, dig the road open again and mess up the previous job after a few days. It's also the same city where the downtown core gets crippled on a monthly basis due to these kind of events.

And dont forget, conveniently the subway is also closed from Lawrence West to St.George.

TTC wanted to operate the lines, they get to pay for it too. The Union thinks it's a win but now we know TTC riders are the losers.

In other consortium like the Ion, Hurontario, Hamilton, Ottawa and Edmonton, the 30 years operating cost is part of the tender. That means the province and federal will pay for a large chuck of the operating cost. For Toronto, operation cost is much higher with much more frequent services.

TTC wanted to operate the lines, they get to pay for it too. The Union thinks it's a win but now we know TTC riders are the losers.

In other consortium like the Ion, Hurontario, Hamilton, Ottawa and Edmonton, the 30 years operating cost is part of the tender. That means the province and federal will pay for a large chuck of the operating cost. For Toronto, operation cost is much higher with much more frequent services.

So to be a "winner", we need less frequent services? I don't think so. I want more frequent services, which would be a "win, win" for me.

Reactions: rbt
Hamilton has different headway than Mississauga and that is part of the operation agreement of the P3. If the cities want more service, then they will have to kick in more funding to get it.

TTC/City of Toronto wants X headway from day one and that going to cost more than buses.

Since the City not willing to fork more funds over to cover the extra cost, "WE THE RIDERS" are taken for a ride by paying higher fares.

So to be a "winner", we need less frequent services? I don't think so. I want more frequent services, which would be a "win, win" for me.
If they let Metrolinx/IO outsource the operation, a basic level of service would be established by Metrolinx and TTC/Toronto could chip in more money if they want more service. A better solution is for the line to be privately operated as I don't think anyone could do a worst job than TTC's own line management. TTC operation also means TTC is responsible for enforcing their own POP which could lead to increased fare evasion if these inspectors are doing minimum work by standing at Kennedy Station. Drum118 is right, we'll see more fare increases with new lines kicking in.

If they let Metrolinx/IO outsource the operation, a basic level of service would be established by Metrolinx and TTC/Toronto could chip in more money if they want more service. A better solution is for the line to be privately operated as I don't think anyone could do a worst job than TTC's own line management. TTC operation also means TTC is responsible for enforcing their own POP which could lead to increased fare evasion if these inspectors are doing minimum work by standing at Kennedy Station. Drum118 is right, we'll see more fare increases with new lines kicking in.

"Privately operated" means the shareholders want a dividend that pays more than a GIC. That's over and above the profits they expect.

York Region pays it's private operators $4.49 a fare. The TTC gets $0.78 per ride, the lowest in North America. See link.

TTC has sent out letters to schools on their fare policies. Looks like they're starting to ticket high school students claiming to be 12.

Attachments

• IMG_20161031_212050.jpg
    IMG_20161031_212050.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 167

Back